When acquiring a different size uke, do most get a different make?

Eyeguy

Reaction score
New to the uke and trying to better understand the uke mentality, if you will. Let's say you've acquired your first uke - a tenor - and you really like everything about it in terms of tone and appearance. When you're ready to venture out and sample maybe a concert or soprano, do you typically stay within the same family that you know you like, or is it more common to vary things and go with a different make?

such a tough question to answer, I think you do both at different times, and I think what's most important is to trust your instincts on the look, feel and tone of different ukes...

Living where I do I have basically zero access to different makers and have had to rely on instincts always...usually hit but sometimes miss. Consequently I have tried out a very wide range of ukes, perhaps more than most as I have refined my collection down through the fires of experience. My gut reaction to your question though is, if you find a maker you love, why go changin?

After a number of years of experimenting, I now own 6 ukes and 3 of them are from the one builder. The journey in working out what you like best in ukuleles is a process that will take time. Enjoy it mate!!! :)

depends if something else catches your fancy...or you want an upgrade..isn't that how it usually is...
unless you see some good deal in the marketplace..ha ha and your budget at the current time..

I guess it depends on the mood (and budget) at the time. Right now I have three Kalas, two Tenors (Mahogany, and six string) and one Soprano. Once I have the funds for a new one, I'm considering branching out to one of the higher price brands.

I say get something different. I own three now admittedly one is a pretty terrible one, so the decision to go to a different maker was easy. But I like the idea of owning different woods and so forth.

I have different ukes and different strings on each. I want them to sound "special" and different from each other. Also, I have REALLY wanted each and every one. Just wait, and something will catch your eye.

Top Bottom