Kanile'a K-1 concert vs. Islander MSC-4 concert

TimboAZ

Reaction score
I’ve had an Islander MSC-4 for a while now, got a Kanile’a K-1 concert yesterday, and spent the evening comparing them. Both are concerts with Aquila strings and reentrant tuning. I've only been playing for six months, so take this with a grain of salt.

First, the Kanile’a K-1 is clearly the better instrument. It’s not quite as loud as the Islander, but it’s got a richer, fuller sound. The notes are clear and distinct, and even the strumming sounds cleaner. I thought the action was perfect on the Islander until I played the K-1; it’s so easy to play that this was my wife’s first comment about it after about 10 seconds of playing. In fact, I had a hard time getting it out of her hands last night. But despite the low action, I couldn’t produce a single buzz anywhere on the neck, and the clarity and sustain up and down the neck were amazing. Overall I would describe the sound as rich and warm and full, but still clean: pure is a good word for it.

The surprising thing about the Islander MSC-4 is how well it stands up the K-1. The K-1 is better, but not by miles. I’d say 30-40% better, and even that might be stretching it. The MSC-4 is louder and has a slightly raunchier, muddier sound. It’s not quite as warm as the K-1, and a littler “janglier.” Let me emphasize the word “slightly” here, and that raunchy sound is actually kind of nice. I began to think of it as my rock and roll uke, while the K-1 has a more classical guitar feel. At the end of the evening, I was still madly in love with the MSC-4, and I plan to restring it low-G this weekend and play it as much as ever.

So I’m very happy with the K-1. I think it’s worth every penny of the $800 I paid for it. But the MSC-4 feels like a like heck of a lot more uke than the $215 it cost. The K-1 is sort of like a classy movie star, Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, while the MSC-4 is the hot chick at the bar with the husky cigarette voice. I’ll take one of each.

Last edited:
I totally get it, Timbo!
And I think you may have described exactly my experience when I compare my Islander MST-4 tenor with another brand of Koa tenor.
I had both setup with the same strings and you described it very well.
I'm trying some Worth Brown BT-LG strings on the Islander (tenor) right now, in an effort to mellow it just a tad from the sound with the Worth CT-LG set.
And, apologies, I'm not trying to redirect your post -- just confirming your experience!

Oh. The other thing I'll add, here, is that what you are describing as "muddy" on the Islander could be what I hear as being "easily overdriven". It is so loud and unfiltered (compared to my koa tenor) that it is easy to over-strum the Islander if you strum very hard.

Last edited:
Nice comparative review. I would also note that the solid Mahogany Islanders have a satin finish, while the Kanile'a solid Koa ukes have the option of a spectacular UV-cured glossy finish. Both are beautiful in their own way, but the glossy finish probably better protects the uke from casual scuffs & scratches.

Both offer excellent value. Both are instruments you can play for a lifetime. The advice to buy what you can afford stands, but it is well worth the time & effort to save up for a Kanile'a.

...But the MSC-4 feels like a like heck of a lot more uke than the $215 it cost. The K-1 is sort of like a classy movie star, Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, while the MSC-4 is the hot chick at the bar with the husky cigarette voice. I’ll take one of each.

Nice line! I'll probably end up using it one day :D

Wow, I'm almost scared of what to expect from the MST-4 I just ordered.

That’s a purchase you won’t regret. I’m getting an Islander soprano as soon as my bank account recovers.

The other thing I'll add, here, is that what you are describing as "muddy" on the Islander could be what I hear as being "easily overdriven.

Ah, that makes sense. I find it hard to screw up the strumming on the K-1, but the volume can vary and I sometimes catch the bottom string too much on an upstrum on the MSC. I’m guessing that’s because the action is a little higher.

I would also note that the solid Mahogany Islanders have a satin finish, while the Kanile'a solid Koa ukes have the option of a spectacular UV-cured glossy finish.

The K-1 sure is beautiful, but my only minor gripe with the finish is that it makes the neck feel a little sticky when sliding my palm along it.

The K-1 sure is beautiful, but my only minor gripe with the finish is that it makes the neck feel a little sticky when sliding my palm along it.
Good point. That's probably why Aldrine requested a satin finish on the neck of his signature Kanile'a. For those of us living in less humid conditions and/or who don't have sweaty hands, the glossy finish poses no problems.

Top Bottom