PDA

View Full Version : Video: Tony Danza plays uke for Rosie!

coolkayaker1
03-02-2012, 05:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGISVDNucJY

Discuss.

Trinimon
03-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Cool. Playing for 5yrs? Who knew? lol

coolkayaker1
03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
And I thought the only fleas Danza ever played were the ones in his taxi cab.

Plainsong
03-02-2012, 05:19 PM
It's blocked in Finland. So how did he sound.. Like he's been playing for 5 years? Is he a UU member? He doesn't strike me as the uke cosmos type. :)

Nickie
03-02-2012, 05:30 PM
That was great! What a guy...

ricdoug
03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
It's blocked in Finland. So how did he sound.. Like he's been playing for 5 years? Is he a UU member? He doesn't strike me as the uke cosmos type. :)

It sounded like five foot two, Plainsong. I don't think he plays it a lot publicly, but he powered through it. He said he did not write it. It did not sound bad. Ric

coolkayaker1
03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Rosie's show is on the ventilator. First filmed this past autumn in 200+ Oprah's theater studio, then reduced to 70 seat smaller studio, then in the past month or two, no more live audience. And, in Curbed Chicago housing blog, Rosie's Chicago home (where she lives alone but has visitation for her adopted children with her ex in NYC) went on sale this week.

So, Rosie's show is on its last leg. Why Oprah chose Rosie--who is as unliked as a hedgehog in a rose garden by most viewers, particularly women--I will never understand.

CoLmes
03-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Rosie has a show?

Paul December
03-02-2012, 05:43 PM
While I'm not a Rosie hater (not a fan either) she comes off mildly unpleasant in this segment.
OTOH Tony seems quite charming. I wonder if the uke does the same for my personality.

Ukukachoo
03-02-2012, 06:21 PM
I met Tony in NYC this past December. When I mentioned the ukulele, his face lit up, he got excited, said he loves the ukulele.He asked me how I started playing and how long I've been playing.He told his thought for the day story. Mentioned he likes to play and sing standards. Said he will be singing on Broadway soon. It was nice talking to him about the uke.

Hippie Dribble
03-02-2012, 07:01 PM
aaaarrrggghhh!!! not available to Australian viewers either? Why on earth not? Oh well, fondest memories of Tony danza from the ol' 'Who's the Boss' days, always seemed like he'd be a great guy off camera...all the best people play uke :)

coolkayaker1
03-02-2012, 07:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBKwTSBBn7U

For those overseas who cannot view Tony Danza playing his Flea uke, I guess this one from Warren Buffet will have to do. Cheerio!

mds725
03-02-2012, 07:54 PM
The posted video is from Oprah's YouTube cahnnel. here's a link to the video on her website, oprah.com.
http://www.oprah.com/own-rosie/Tony-Danzas-Birthday-Song-to-Rosie-Video
It's possible that the video being blocked in certain countries is a YouTube thing, but it may also be that there are international rights issues with Oprah's network that prevent the dissemination of videos taken from OWN programming in some countries, so I don't know if people in Australia and Scandanavia who were unable to watch the video through YouTube (as embedded at UU) will be able to watch this one either, but here it is just in case.

Chris Tarman
03-02-2012, 08:10 PM
I remember knowing that Tony Danza played, but I hadn't seen/heard him before. He's pretty good! The hold-up with that song was that he was trying to cram lyrics about Rosie's birthday into "5 Foot 2", not so much that he couldn't remember the chords. He was stopping to fit the words in.

Chris Tarman
03-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Ok, Tony Danza is a lot better player and singer than Warren Buffet! But Warren looks like he's enjoying himself, so "it's all good"... I HATE that phrase....

Plainsong
03-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Yeah there are these interior designers from Sweden named Simon and Tomas (Well, Simon is British but they got famous in Sweden), who had a show on Oprah's network. It was based on their show from Sweden, Sweden's Ugliest Homes, where Simon speaks (mostly) English and everyone else speaks mostly Swedish, and they do a spectacular job.

So they're more famous here but do you think we're allowed to view the episodes? Heeeeeellllll no. Luckily Swedish TV3 bought it. This encourages piracy but they're too stupid to figure that out.

Anyway, that's awesome that he's a proper uke fan. Hold me closer, Tony Danza.. ;)

The posted video is from Oprah's YouTube cahnnel. here's a link to the video on her website, oprah.com.
It's possible that the video being blocked in certain countries is a YouTube thing, but it may also be that there are international rights issues with Oprah's network that prevent the dissemination of videos taken from OWN programming in some countries, so I don't know if people in Australia and Scandanavia who were unable to watch the video through YouTube (as embedded at UU) will be able to watch this one either, but here it is just in case.

Hippie Dribble
03-02-2012, 08:58 PM
thanks Mark for the link. That was so sweet, and he's got such a lovely voice :)

Plainsong
03-02-2012, 11:41 PM
I love how he was nervous and messing up chords you can tell he can do in his sleep. This makes him a real person to me. That and loving ukulele. Tony's welcome here anytime.

coolkayaker1
03-06-2012, 01:06 PM
I agree with you all. Tony is humble, sincere, and a nice uker, and singer, too.

Rosie? Not so much. Such a hole, she acts like she's never seen the "baby instrument" before. No wonder her show is going into the toilet.

Plainsong
03-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Her show is tanking just because she didn't know what a uke was? I didn't pick up on the negative vibe that the men are getting from her...

Paul December
03-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Her show is tanking just because she didn't know what a uke was? I didn't pick up on the negative vibe that the men are getting from her...

I guess I'm just reading into the "bad smell" face she makes at the end of the song.

coolkayaker1
03-06-2012, 02:36 PM
I guess I'm just reading into the "bad smell" face she makes at the end of the song.

That is so classic! Point for PD.

Plainsong
03-06-2012, 06:40 PM
I wasn't aware there was a scoring system...