Southern CA Ukulele Festival - After the Fact

Dominator

Reaction score
Well, SCUF proved to be yet another great time this year. The rain could have really messed things up but it just misted for a spell and then cleared up. I don’t think I met all the people from UU that were there but I did get to meet ke leo, Ricdoug, misguided musician, Funkypeanuts, Orangeuke, Maz (recipient of my Lehua concert giveaway) and Jason Arimoto (I’m forgetting the bruddah that was playing the green Mahalo, sorry about that; it’s a bitch getting old).

Jason was setting up close to the time I was to get on deck inside for my set so I was only able to hear one of his songs during his solo performance outside at Bruddah Mark’s booth. After my set, and a quick jaunt offsite to grab some grub, we got a nice little jam going between Bruddah Mark, the udda Bruddah Mark, Jason, Charlie (a friend of Bruddah Mark’s and now one of the Ohana ) on guitar. Then we were all joined by Misquided, one of his friends, whose screen name also escapes me, and the mystery man with the green Mahalo. Hey Deach, they even had me singing with them on a few :eek:.

Not only is MGM the nicest guy around but he has to be the hardest working person at theses festivals. Not only does he have to pack all those ukes and ship them to the festival to start with, but he then has to transport them, unpack and setup at one location for Club Night, pack them back up at the end of the night, set em up again the next morning and then pack em all up again at the end of the festival. I’m exhausted just writing about it.

I was very pleased with the way the new Dominator spruce top tenor performed. From where I was onstage it sounded fabulous coming through the house system and it really delivered what I was asking from it. A special thanks to ke leo and misguided musician for recording it on video. It was definitely a “live” performance with a few clams here and there but I think there were a few good spots as well. I opened with Touch followed by Going to California and Shirley T. Then I brought Konabob and John Rockwell up to do Guava Jam, TNC and closed the set with Gypsy Ukulele.

Once back at the hotel Bruddah Mark, Charlie, Rockwell, Peter Mari, Preston from Salt Lake and a few others jammed inside the bar until they closed up and cleared us out. Ke leo also got a couple numbers on video that we should be able to see soon.

I could go on and on as there was much happening throughout the day. In fact that’s always a problem because workshops and performances can conflict with one another and you just can’t do everything you’d like to. I was told by the staff that the festival attendance was down a full 30% from last year. Partly because of the economy and less promotion than in past years. Susan McCormick has been working so hard on this festival for the last seven years and handed the baton to someone else for next year and rumor has it the venue may change. I’m already looking forward to 2009. But first, there is Wine Country’s 1st Annual Ukulele Festival next Saturday in St. Helena. My set starts at 1:30 for those planning on attending.

Last edited:
Thanks for the rundown dom! I had planned to go, but had an unexpected change of schedules a couple weeks ago -- I'll hope to catch you at the next event -- thanks again!

Hopefully, we can make it to Napa this weekend.

I don’t think I met all the people from UU that were there...

Hey Dom! I was one of those guys. You walked past me when I was doing my vid with Ke Leo and gave me a little hello wave during the taping. When I finished taping I walked over to where you were to introduce myself and *POOF* - all that was there was your blue UU t-shirt hanging from the tent and you were GONE! Hopefully, we'll get to meet at another event sometime. :)

Hey Dom! I was one of those guys. You walked past me when I was doing my vid with Ke Leo and gave me a little hello wave during the taping. When I finished taping I walked over to where you were to introduce myself and *POOF* - all that was there was your blue UU t-shirt hanging from the tent and you were GONE! Hopefully, we'll get to meet at another event sometime. :)

Ah, yes, I remember that. It was time for me to check in just prior to my set and so I changed shirts and went backstage.

NOTE to UU Staff
During the day prior to my performance I sported one of my UU Ts. During that time my Bamboo Cay shirt was hanging in Bruddah Mark's booth and I guess they had a number of opportunities to sell it. After I changed for my set I left my UU shirt hanging next to one of Bruddah Marks Ts and I guess they could have sold a ton if they were available. Pretty cool how folks wanted to get their hands on one. Almost everyone that I walked by focused in on the T with this curious look wondering what the Ukulele Underground was all about.

sounds like it was such a blast to go. i wanted to go, but had an immediate schedule change due to some issues. hopefully next year i could go. and meet you dom. :D

I shot 2+ hours of tape for UU that needs to be edited.

As Sesso can attest, I'm technically challenged.

Anyone in OC who can help? I'm going to use imovie (I think).

The sooner I can get it edited, the sooner I can post. Wanna make a road trip Aaron :D

Awesome recap and it sounded like a lot of fun. I gotta come and check it out one day :3

You should be playing and teachiing a workshop at this event!!! Seriously, you can leverage UU and the buzz created by the appearance at Island Bizaar (which people are still talking about).

I had a chance to jam with the new folks who are taking over and they are super cool! From what I gather, you better start talking to them soon because I understand that the schedule is set fairly early. I can find out their contact info if that helps.

BTW, I had tons of folks comment on my UU shirt. Cudda sold a boat load!!!

I shot 2+ hours of tape for UU that needs to be edited.

As Sesso can attest, I'm technically challenged.

Anyone in OC who can help? I'm going to use imovie (I think).

The sooner I can get it edited, the sooner I can post. Wanna make a road trip Aaron :D

I can edit for you bro, but I'm down here in San Diego...
we can meet halfway if you're down.

Sounds like a great time! Glad you got to meet Jason. As well as being an amazing player, he's also one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Sounds like a great time! Glad you got to meet Jason. As well as being an amazing player, he's also one of the nicest people I've ever met.

You got that right. Jason is a very nice guy and was improvising like a mad man during our jam session. He definitely knows his way around the fret board. Here is a pic Jason had taken as well as another courtesy of Ukulele Bart.

Attachments

• jason_dom.jpg
    jason_dom.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DomBand (2).jpg
    DomBand (2).jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 21
dom, that bass player your playing with. I saw him out side playing in the morning but didnt get a chance to ask him. What is that tuned in? I noticed it only had 3 strings. Is it still called a bass or is it something else.
thx
Nurd

dom, that bass player your playing with. I saw him out side playing in the morning but didnt get a chance to ask him. What is that tuned in? I noticed it only had 3 strings. Is it still called a bass or is it something else.

That's a Walkingbass by Kona Bob. And I think that's Bob himself playing it but the pic is kind of small on my screen.

well...I finally got to meet some more of the UU family. It was so nice to meet you guys. Ke Leo, edit my part real good please, I'm camera shy lol, BTW, I'm still jockin' your uke case. Dom, great meeting you too sir. Bruddah Mark, I'm sporting your shirt already. Jason (facemeltinguke), you always impress. Unfortunately with my car in the shop, and my buddy driving me around, I couldn't stay long enough. I didn't want keep him waiting too long for me. Also my cousin gave birth earlier that morning, I had to head to the hospital. So I missed your set Dom. I also saw all those classes, I wanted to take. Hopefully it's still in Cerritos next year, and I'll make sure I'm there for the whole day.

Wow, Finally got some rest from two weekends of festivities, sorry this post is so late. Last weekend The 2-day Pacific Islander Festival, this weekend, The 7th Annual Southern California Ukulele Festival. I need a rest.

I have been coming to this festival from it's inception, while renting booth space for the last 3. Every year is like a reunion to me. Seeing old friends making and meeting alot of new ones. Watching new/old performers and sampling lots of ukuleles. I have many guest artists jam in our booth every year so that they can promote their music and use our booth as a place (Hale- Homebase) to kick back for the day. For the last few years my close friend, Victoria Vox always made it a point to hang out. Unfortunately this year she could not make it due to scheduling. She did promise me she will be there next year.

This year's festival we did not disappoint by having the well known internet tab master, master ukulele player Dominator jam at the booth and showcasing a new rising star in the ukulele world, Jason Arimoto who also brought along his really cool girlfriend.

We (Jeff-got uke? & Charlie Harley) started this day at 5:00am driving up from San Diego for about a 2 hour drive to meet up with the uddahmark -makiboy who works for hawaiian eye designs. We ended the day at 1 am jamming with Dom & The Rock and many others at the Sheraton Lobby after we closed down the bar at about 12:00. Not to say the least, Ke Leo-video extraordinare, was hanging in there too.

We arrived at the festival and was greeted by my good braddah Kent who moved our original space to a new location which was basically our own little Island, a patch of lawn surrounded by concrete, kinda shaped like Maui. It was in monkey throwing distance from MGM's array of ukuleles. Kent knew we had open jamming at our booth so he hele'd us on to our own little area. Mahaloz brah!

I must say the threat of rain did not dampen the spirit of the people who attended this years festival. Even though they say it was down in attendence, by the way our booth was buzzing-I don't tink so? Ukulele Underground was well represented at the festival. I saw many members (braddahs) representing and met alot of them. We even had a great little jam sessh at the end of the day at the booth. Sorry if I don't remember everybodys name (UU user's name) but I do remember all the faces.

Talk a little story for the boys back on the islands who started this forum/website. Dominator came to my booth wearing his UU tee-shirt and sporting his performance blk hawaiian shirt on a hanger. He asked me if he could hang it up until his performance so I said yah for sure. So I put it up in the corner next to some of my stuff just for display fun. Not more then 10 minutes pass and some buggah comes and asks me how much for the blk shirt? I said well if I sell it to you somebodys gonna be mad. But how much you offer, I laughed? haha. Anyway I told him it was Dominator's and he said so how much you wanna sell it for? To make a short story, Dominator came back to the booth and replaced the blk shirt for his UU t-shirt. I cannot remember how many people asked me , what sizes do I have in that UU t-shirt but I do remember there were quite a few. So you boys umm? need to come out here next year sell or send me some stuff. oh and yah you can send me a free UU t-shirt for the free product display and research? LOL.

Anyway about our guest artist Jason Arimoto.
Jason showed up and rocked the house with his performance. I was thouroughly impressed with his playing in which his PA level had to maintain low output due to that we got warned to turn our amplifiers down earlier in the day by the head honcho. Seeing a musician play and sing in that low output level while maintaining every musical nuance and voice control is not that easy. Believe me I know all about that. I am sure you will see Jason's performance once Ka Leo puts the video up. Just sic! Jason brought demo Cd's signed many and sold out of all of them. He stuck around for the day and I had the great opportunity to jam along side of him and Dominator. After a few songs my boyz came in including (UU represent)and we all jammed together.

Mahaloz to everybody from UU (funkypeanuts, nurdaben.polynesianpops,maz-sorry if I forgot your name) who came out. It was awesome meeting all of you. Ke leo- brah you are the next spielberg with that video camera. Cannot wait to check the vid out.

Hope to see you again next year.

Aloha.

Jason rocks
DSC05582H.jpg

CIMG2215.jpg

DSC05588H.jpg

Dom-BruddahMark-Jason
dom-jason-me.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom