StuMac soprano kit finished

mr roper

Reaction score
This was my first real kit (Grizzly doesn't count). Turned out nice and I followed the instructions except that I laid out and drilled for the dowels before attaching the fretboard. This made more sense to me than gluing the fretboard first and then using spacers when aligning the neck.

Attachments

• 100_0500.jpg
    100_0500.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_0501.jpg
    100_0501.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_0502.jpg
    100_0502.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 155
Looks real good mr roper!! I was curious to see how you handled the rosette since unlike the tenor kit, the fingerboard doesn't hide the joint. Yours looks very good. Congrats!

Sounds good but I'll be taking the Aquilas off and putting Southcoasts on . I'm waiting to do final setup after things "settle in"
I just fit the rosette in and sliced through where it overlapped at the top. I used Titebond instead of superglue.

Rosette. Some polishing compound got in the seam and I didn't want to scrape it out. Some advise for everyone: Never use compound on a finish that doesn't have filled pores!100_0513.jpg

Looks great. Well done. :)

The finish is three coats of Watco Golden Oak Danish oil followed by four coats of clear danish oil. The technique is apply the oil, let it soak, apply more if you need to and then sand while still wet and then wipe off. This took two weeks because of the dry time between coats.
Last thing was Johnson's paste wax from a 50yr old can.

The finish is three coats of Watco Golden Oak Danish oil followed by four coats of clear danish oil. The technique is apply the oil, let it soak, apply more if you need to and then sand while still wet and then wipe off. This took two weeks because of the dry time between coats.
Last thing was Johnson's paste wax from a 50yr old can.

Nice job looks great!!!

I wasn't happy with the original pegs so I got some better ones from Mainland. Did the final setup with a set of Southcoast mediums which sound and feel much better than the Aquilas.

Attachments

• Mainland tuners front.jpg
    Mainland tuners front.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Mainland pegs back.jpg
    Mainland pegs back.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 38
Yes Sir! The mainland friction pegs are great. And, Southcoast strings in my opinion are just what the doctor ordered!

SWEET!! Your finish job looks great on that mahogany. I'm always impressed with the wood quality on those kits

Top Bottom