Anyone try Aaron C's strings from HMS?

I have them on my Pono MPTSH. I really like them. The maple sides and spruce top made for a very bright instrument and it seemed to need a mellower string choice. Originally had Worth BTs which were great (and will be a go-to choice), but I felt a stronger/beefier string would also help "drive" the sound a bit more. I was hoping to feel more out of the Pono too, similar to what I get with the Kamaka HF-3. What I mean is when you play the Kamaka (or similarly lighter build) you can actually feel the uke reverberate. Not so much with the Pono MPTSH. The Mele Mana'o'io strings did indeed push the Pono harder and added some feeling while also still sounded good at softer volumes. From a pure feel to the touch perspective, they seem soft and provided me a good match coming from classical guitar. Obviously gauges are similar etc. One thing that may put people off is that there is a slightly different feel between strings within the set. For example, one string may feel a bit more Acquila-esque while another may be more like D'addario J71's. Not a biggie to me, but it's there. Understandable given Aaron selected individual strings from several set of classical strings... ending with a bit of a Franken-set but nice none-the-less.

I haven't tried them on any of my other ukes but will soon. I have a Soundcloud sample of these on the Pono MPTSH and with other strings including a Kamaka HF-3 for anyone whose interested. I'm going to try them on the HF-3 next.

http://soundcloud.com/bdukes22/pono-mptsh-mele-manaoio

I'm very happy with D'Addario J71 on my Kamaka Tenor. Have no interest in trying anything else on it :) But my Pono MHTSH I've been trying strings on it, haven't found "the" set for that uke yet. Right now I've got D'Addario Nyltech for the G & A strings and Ko'olau Golds on the C & E strings. This is the nicest sound I've had on it :)

Next I'm going to try Aaron's on it.

Yeah, I'm pretty settled on my Kamaka too. I'm liking the T2's on the HF-3. But you know the drill... can't stop tinkering.

Have you tried Fremont Blacklines on the MHTSH? I had one and really liked the blacklines on that particular uke.

Top Bottom