figuring out what uke to get for daughter??

sia

Reaction score
So I just today posted a thread about what uke I should get. which thankfully the music store near me had and I got it!! a mainland solid mahogany tenor:) and very happy with it. even though I don't know much about ukulele's, I know about how a good violin and guitar should sound and the mainland is sweet.
anywho at the music store, my daughter showed an interest in the ukuleles also. she already knows guitar well, she's 13. and her birthday is coming up and she's hinting to me that she wants an ukulele. I've decided to put a budget of $110 dollars. she also like the tenors . But I don't know which one to get: lanikai Lu-21t, kala ka-t, or makala mk-t.
I wanna get her something that will last a few years or at least two. but also has good quality and nice sound. Thanks!

Makala is the "economy" Kala, so if the price is right I'd go for the Kala. Come to think of it, I did! I have the ka-t and I really like it.

thanks for the ffedback! now that we got makala out of the way, now we still have kala vs lanikai. I've seen both amazing reviews about both. but still can't decide

I know this is just one person's opinion, but here's what MGM Mike has to say about beginner-level laminate ukes:

You know I sell islanders from our store in Haleiwa and the reason they are so popular is that we have so many choices many times the customer is confused what to get in a price bracket. When I have told them to turn away and not look at the brand and just use their ears to pick the uke.....say a islander mt 4, a kala ka t and a lanikai Lu 21t they almost 100 % of the time choose the islander.​
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?60813-First-Uke-Hunting&p=878100#post878100

Unfortunately, the 2011 Islander MT-4s are mostly out of stock and the 2012 versions haven't hit the shelves yet. You could call Mike and see when they are due to arrive. They are also a bit over your budget.

FWIW, the Lanikai was briefly on the top of my list when I started my first uke hunt a few months ago.

Drew Bear, thanks that was actually super helpful. I'll take a look at it:)

Top Bottom