Show me your homemade cases

chris667

Reaction score
Hello

I was thinking of making a uke case. Something rigid, so I won't worry about getting the uke squashed when I'm not using it.

I think the ones you can buy are nice, but I want something unique.

If anyone's made their own, can I see them for a bit of inspiration?

Duct tape on shipping box. Some foam inside. I attached buttons, not shown in photos but you can see the black elastic that hook over the buttons. If I am going to take the uke somewhere I swap out for the case I keep the KoAloha in. It works for me. The duct tape cost me about $12.

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 53
A backpack from Goodwill seems to work OK for my soprano.

The thing is, my uke is a bit special. So I am going to make a case that is also a bit special.

Plus, I can get lots of little offcuts of oak-faced plywood. I thought an extruded aluminium frame with 3mm oak faced ply in an oiled finish would look nice. The inside will have a foam lining (thanks for the soldering gun tip!).

I should be doing other things and would TBH rather play my uke than do any woodwork, but it would be a nice way to spend a couple of days.

Watch this space!

Duct tape on shipping box. Some foam inside. I attached buttons, not shown in photos but you can see the black elastic that hook over the buttons. If I am going to take the uke somewhere I swap out for the case I keep the KoAloha in. It works for me. The duct tape cost me about $12.

aaaaw Roxie that's so doggone cute :)

Here is a helpful and informative (and hilarious) video of Ralph Shaw explaining how to build a case.

I don't know, I reckon Oak and Ali sounds pretty good and completely unique. But then I guess it would be several hours of uke playing you would never get back either.

You're right, of course. It was just an idle thing I thought of when I was walking my dog this morning. The boatyard here gets a skip and throws out suitably sized bits of thin plywood when it's fitting out new boats, and I already have the ali; I keep trying to find a suitable use for it!

Back to playing! And I will remember your uke tomorrow.

That's one of the coolest ukes cases I've seen.

Wow Roxhum, nice case...you certainly did a great job..first time seeing it..

Top Bottom