Purchased my first uke

Eyeguy

Reaction score
Purchased my first uke -Pics added

After much research and sage advice from the nice folks here on the Forum, I pulled the trigger on what I hope will be the first of many ukuleles, and more importantly, a wonderful journey towards learning to play these beautiful instruments.

I purchased a new Kanile'a K-1T tenor uke with gloss finish. It arrived yesterday afternoon and I opened it last night after letting it acclimate for a few hours. All I can honestly say is wow - it has exceeded my expectations. Fit and finish are excellent, tone is superb, and playability is great. What a genuinely gorgeous instrument.

Now all I have to do is learn to play it. I've learned a few of the basic chords and I'm already having a blast just noodling around on it, but I'm trying to figure out what finger(s) to use for strumming - thumb, index finger, other, or all of the above.

Question, it is so beautiful I'm a bit reluctant to strum it real hard. I'm assuming that's normal for a first timer, but I also suppose it's probably ok to be a little more aggressive with them as well, yes?

Anyway, I will post some pics later when the weather cooperates, although I'm guessing again that most folks have already seen a million of these just like mine. Still, I also assume if this is anything like the guitar forums I frequent, most folks never get tired of seeing uke pics.

** Photos added below

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome Eyeguy on your Kanilea tenor. That is one hell of a starter uke!

Strum her hard and strum her often! The more you do it, the more she will like it! The sound will open up over time the more that you play it. And that UV gloss finish is tough as nails. A good choice indeed.

Congrats and welcome to the Kanile'a club! You are gonna have a blast!!!

Unless you are accustomed to hard strumming other stringed instruments, I'd gradually build up the strumming intensity. Don't worry about the uke; it can take it. There are all sorts of strumming techniques incorporating any number of fingers. Try 'em all and practice the ones that sound good to you.

Congratulations! You say you hope to have many ukes. Where do you go from a Kanile'a Tenor?!

And, quite honestly, most of us don't get to see very many of their beautiful instruments and eagerly look forward to your photos (even in the snow).

Congratualtions! I've had my satin K-1 tenor for a couple months now and absolutely love it. The tone has already started to mature a little, and I echo the advice to play it often. I also have a LoPrinzi tenor that plays incredibly well, but the K-1 plays just as easily. Good choice.

UAS begins. Now you need an everyday beater.

After much research and sage advice from the nice folks here on the Forum, I pulled the trigger on what I hope will be the first of many ukuleles, and more importantly, a wonderful journey towards learning to play these beautiful instruments.

I purchased a new Kanile'a K-1T tenor uke with gloss finish. It arrived yesterday afternoon and I opened it last night after letting it acclimate for a few hours. All I can honestly say is wow - it has exceeded my expectations. Fit and finish are excellent, tone is superb, and playability is great. What a genuinely gorgeous instrument.

Now all I have to do is learn to play it. I've learned a few of the basic chords and I'm already having a blast just noodling around on it, but I'm trying to figure out what finger(s) to use for strumming - thumb, index finger, other, or all of the above.

Question, it is so beautiful I'm a bit reluctant to strum it real hard. I'm assuming that's normal for a first timer, but I also suppose it's probably ok to be a little more aggressive with them as well, yes?

Anyway, I will post some pics later when the weather cooperates, although I'm guessing again that most folks have already seen a million of these just like mine. Still, I also assume if this is anything like the guitar forums I frequent, most folks never get tired of seeing uke pics.
On my first uke I remember being afraid of blowing mineup/ripping off the bridge when I tightened the strings while tuning it. The can be played quite hard. Just don't tie it to a cats tail as a mean trick or anything like that.

Congratulations! Sounds like an awesome uke. Don't forget to post those pictures. My favourites strum is to use all four fingernails on the downstroke and thumbnail on the upstroke.

My first ukulele was a very nice ukulele too. I play the heck out of it and don't worry much about putting scratches on the finish.

I purchased a new Kanile'a K-1T tenor uke with gloss finish.

Welcome to UU! We have a saying here "Pictures, or it didn't happen". ;) Kanile'a is great! Do not worry about strumming or scratches, that finish will buff out nicely. If you are in a dry climate you NEED a humidifier, this is not an option. Keep it nice and humid and that uke will last you a lifetime (or longer).

Congratulations on your kanilea ukulele..one hell of a first ukulele...yes don't be afraid to strum it agressively
have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings

Thanks folks for all the kind words - I do appreciate it. I have posted a few quick pics I took this afternoon (in the original post). As is usually the case, the photos don't adequately capture the beauty of the instrument.

It is lovely!

Congrats On the nice new uke. I've found the Kanilea gloss finish holds up well to hard strumming. It should be hard to put scratches in that finish. Go for it if that's you're thing!

Thanks folks for all the kind words - I do appreciate it. I have posted a few quick pics I took this afternoon (in the original post). As is usually the case, the photos don't adequately capture the beauty of the instrument.

Sweet uke! Congrats!

Looks lovely ;-)

Great start on your journey. I love Kanilea and it is better to have an instrument that sounds good and feels good so you will play it. You don't have to be gentle. I use them and don't worry about how hard. I don't abuse them but I am not gentle)and have never had an issue due to how hard I strum or chunk.

Top Bottom