PDA

View Full Version : Why mm stan needs a Collings ukulele...

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 07:07 AM
well, c'mon all you Collings owners, lets tell him.

Bruddah Stan is curious about Collings ukes but suspicious about the 'hype'. Here's our chance to sell him one...why would you recommend them? What are the outstanding features of a Collings ukulele that make it a 'must have' in a collection? :)

Couloirman
03-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Most flawless production uke on the market. The higher level Collings are honestly pretty expensive for what you get IMO but the entry level UT-1 series is an absolute steal of a deal at $1100. If you want something amazingly figured and decorated, honestly, Id go with Mya Moe and get a full blown custom to all your specs for less money. But, if what you want is an amazingly constructed, almost unbelievably light weight, resonant uke then get a Collings UT-1 in whatever wood you desire. I have played UT-1s in mahogany and koa and they were both marvelous.

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Most flawless production uke on the market. The higher level Collings are honestly pretty expensive for what you get IMO but the entry level UT-1 series is an absolute steal of a deal at $1100. If you want something amazingly figured and decorated, honestly, Id go with Mya Moe and get a full blown custom to all your specs for less money. But, if what you want is an amazingly constructed, almost unbelievably light weight, resonant uke then get a Collings UT-1 in whatever wood you desire. I have played UT-1s in mahogany and koa and they were both marvelous.
YEAH!!!! NOW THAT'S WHAT I"M TALKIN BOUT!!!!!

(you read that Bruddah??? Ha Ha!!!)

mm stan
03-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Ha Ha ...Yeah tell... Not that I don't trust you..hee hee You know I do... this thread may make me weak and get one...
Okay ..what is the difference between the models...is there any difference in sound or just asthetics... I want a balanced tone and clear note separation..
how is playability and comfort... what about resonation and substain??

dkcrown
03-03-2012, 07:15 AM
OK Stan my friend, listen up. As you know, I have bought and sold a few ukes. But my Collings mahogany UT-1 will never be sold. It is strung low G with Worths and IMO it is the perfect marriage. It is light, loud, and has the best balance of any of my ukes. Pegheads rule and the build quality is flawless. Their cases are great too. Nuff said.

Canoe Lady
03-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Oh, Eugene, you are bad. Feeding someone else's UAS. Like we all don't have enough trouble with it on our own????
Good luck trying to resist, Stan! He's good.

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Oh, Eugene, you are bad. Feeding someone else's UAS. Like we all don't have enough trouble with it on our own????
Good luck trying to resist, Stan! He's good.
oh D...you must be talking about that other Eugene, yeah he is bad and conniving and the rest of it...stay away from that guy ha ha :cool:

the_dude
03-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Collings fans, listen up, rare opportunity: I was at The Music Emporium on Thursday afternoon and they had a used Collings concert available for (I think) $800. It was (again, I think) a UC1. Excellent condition. If you're interested call and ask for Tim. Tell him Marc (the guy who bought the Kala tenor) sent you! No, I don't work for them.

mm stan
03-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Collings fans, listen up, rare opportunity: I was at The Music Emporium on Thursday afternoon and they had a used Collings concert available for (I think) $800. It was (again, I think) a UC1. Excellent condition. If you're interested call and ask for Tim. Tell him Marc (the guy who bought the Kala tenor) sent you! No, I don't work for them.

Awe I called and it is sold...they had a mahogany concert satin for 1050.. a koa concert for 1350 and a UC2 for 1600....
I know Mark had one and sold it...wonder what he thinks...

the_dude
03-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Awe I called and it is sold...they had a mahogany satin for 1050.. a koa for 1350 and a UC2 for 1600....

Crazy times! That was fast! They probably just got it on Tuesday or Wednesday (I was there on Monday too). The crazier thing is that someone went in there and sold it to them for like $400 or $500. Crazy times!!

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Crazy times! That was fast! They probably just got it on Tuesday or Wednesday (I was there on Monday too). The crazier thing is that someone went in there and sold it to them for like $400 or $500. Crazy times!!
what's goin on Stan...you beat me to the phonecall...I just got off the phone too and they told me it was sold...what? You competing with me for Collings uke buys now... :p

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 07:46 AM
Mind you mate, those mahogany concerts are a great buy for 1000 and so worth it. I don't believe there is a better sounding concert uke around at that price

mm stan
03-03-2012, 07:48 AM
What Andy quoted you 1000.. he quoted me 1050....shoots.. Hey you getting in on my deals eugene...ha ha hey you one fast bugga....hee hee...
anyone would like to sell me their collins for 400 - 500 bucks... I pay cash right away...come on the economy is bad now...everybody needs cash...:o

mm stan
03-03-2012, 07:52 AM

Mahalo Uke_dude, the uke is sold but thank you for the heads up on it... anybody else got leads... no tell Eugene okay...:o:):)

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 07:53 AM
What Andy quoted you 1000.. he quoted me 1050....shoots.. Hey you getting in on my deals eugene...ha ha hey you one fast bugga....hee hee...
anyone would like to sell me their collins for 400 - 500 bucks... I pay cash right away...come on the economy is bad now...everybody needs cash...:o
first name basis these days Stan...shucks...those guys must be sick of the sound of my voice by now he he :o

johntz
03-03-2012, 07:55 AM
this thread is cracking me up!

Stan you will be happy when you get one. Words can't describe. I think people really like em or not but for me the neck shape is perfect and I can play them better than anything else I tried. But this is pure personal opinion for what works for me. Collins is helping me progress faster and that is priceless for me. I'm selling my other Ukes so I don't get tempted to start switching around again.

mm stan
03-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Hey Jon...tell me you didn't sneak behind me and got it from Andy...
Yes John...I like thin fast necks too... one of my improtant requirements...thank you for the input...
Dana, What you got one too...wow you never told me...shoots...
Checked wit Gryphon Stings....and they have 2 concerts..1400 and 1800 anybody got leads....

Tigeralum2001
03-03-2012, 08:04 AM
If you are looking for someplace with a few in stock, I was at Gryphon Strings this week and they had a few.

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 08:09 AM
If you are looking for someplace with a few in stock, I was at Gryphon Strings this week and they had a few.
Artisan Guitars in Nashville do as well, and Elderly Instruments have a couple...oh Stan, they're everywhere mate :drool: :)

mm stan
03-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Thanks tigeralum2001 and Jon,
Keep um coming.... at their site, what no prices...??? http://www.collingsguitars.com/ukuleles.html
um um um http://artisanguitars.com/collings-ukulele-uc2k-koa/

Dan Uke
03-03-2012, 08:11 AM
I second Collings as the best production uke!!

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Hey Jon...tell me you didn't sneak behind me and got it from Andy...
Yes John...I like thin fast necks too... one of my improtant requirements...thank you for the input...
Dana, What you got one too...wow you never told me...shoots...
Checked wit Gryphon Stings....and they have 2 concerts..1400 and 1800 anybody got leads....
eh? now he accuses me of sneaking in the back door...wow. how quickly things change... :biglaugh:

Couloirman
03-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Acoustic music works in pittsburgh sells a lot of Collings ukes and has a good website with their live inventory and pics of each uke. Ask for free shipping and they usually oblige.

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Acoustic music works in pittsburgh sells a lot of Collings ukes and hasa good website with their live inventory and pics of each uke. Ask for free shipping and they usually oblige.
whoa..thanks Cman...Stan's momentarily absent from the thread, he must be on the phone he he...

specialk13
03-03-2012, 08:27 AM
I'll jump in on this as well, Collings ukes are amazing and you get a great deal for the price on their entry level ukes. I have owned just about one of each different wood configuration (in concert and tenor sizes). The one I always go back to is a UT1K, it just has the most pleasing voice. As far as the sound comparisons of the different woods, I would say it goes something like this:

Koa: warm and sweet with some nice punch
Mahogany: clear and defined with a sweet high end.
Maple: less sustain with more note separation and a brighter overall sound.
Spruce/Rosewood: nice clarity, volume, and a high end that just keeps going.

Something I have noticed with the Collings ukes is that they really need to be broken in before they sound their best. They are a lot like the Collings guitars in that way. You really can't go wrong with any of them IMO and you don't need to get one of the more expensive ones to get a great uke, they all sound awesome!
Hope this helps........

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 08:32 AM
I'll jump in on this as well, Collings ukes are amazing and you get a great deal for the price on their entry level ukes. I have owned just about one of each different wood configuration (in concert and tenor sizes). The one I always go back to is a UT1K, it just has the most pleasing voice. As far as the sound comparisons of the different woods, I would say it goes something like this:

Koa: warm and sweet with some nice punch
Mahogany: clear and defined with a sweet high end.
Maple: less sustain with more note separation and a brighter overall sound.
Spruce/Rosewood: nice clarity, volume, and a high end that just keeps going.

Something I have noticed with the Collings ukes is that they really need to be broken in before they sound their best. They are a lot like the Collings guitars in that way. You really can't go wrong with any of them IMO and you don't need to get one of the more expensive ones to get a great uke, they all sound awesome!
Hope this helps........
perfect specialk, thanks so much for this. Really well put, agree with everything you said...I noticed the same thing with mine...it just seemed to get warmer and more resonant each time I picked it up. And, apart from the golden rich tones and exceptional volume and note separation, what blows me away the most is probably the superb balance of the Collings ukes...they are honestly featherlight and crazy responsive...man, they just keep giving sound

mm stan
03-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Mahalo guys,
Couloirman....Acoustic works has a nice selection ...great lead bro thank you
Specialk13... thank you for your insight, very informative..koa concert eh... sounds good to me
Nongdam...I need one..
Eugene, yup been checking around for the best prices and if you know which shops you can haggle...ha ha
http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/ukuleles.html
I certainly hope this thread will get me some good offers for sale...

Smiley
03-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Collings makes great instruments. Yes the workmanship and finishes are flawless, but more importantly is in how well they function in the role of an instrument for making music. Fun to play, great sound, etc. The concerts have a bit longer scale at 15" which opens things up a bit too.

As for offers for sale I'm thinking again as my renter just sent me their 30 day notice....

mm stan
03-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Collings makes great instruments. Yes the workmanship and finishes are flawless, but more importantly is in how well they function in the role of an instrument for making music. Fun to play, great sound, etc. The concerts have a bit longer scale at 15" which opens things up a bit too.

As for offers for sale I'm thinking again as my renter just sent me their 30 day notice....

Aloha Smiley,
Really....let me know man...Jon's off to breakfast.... no worries....:o:drool::)

Smiley
03-03-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm out of town till this evening. I should probably make a decision before I can get home and play it again...

dkcrown
03-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Yes Stan, it is true. I've got one too! Lovely uke.

I was going to mention that Smiley had listed one recently in the Marketplace and the pulled it back.

mm stan
03-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Aloha Dana,
Gee...seems like I'm the only one not on the bandwagon with Collins ..thank you too for the heads up
on Smiley. I will wait for his response..mahalo bruddah

mm stan
03-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Weee waiting for Smiley to call me or return my PM...

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Weee waiting for Smiley to call me or return my PM...

if you don't get this one Bruddah guess who will...Mua-Ha-ha HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA :uhoh:

WhenDogsSing
03-03-2012, 01:58 PM
You all are making me laugh real hard...Hee! Hee! Hee! Think I'll get my UT-2-SB out and play a while to help mellow me out so I can get some sleep tonight...Double Hee! Hee! Hee!

mm stan
03-03-2012, 02:29 PM
if you don't get this one Bruddah guess who will...Mua-Ha-ha HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA :uhoh:

Sorry Bruddah Eugene..the deal is sealed already, thank you for the thread.. ha ha woo hoo..:smileybounce::):p

Bad Bad Bad Eugene You Collins Enabler....ha ha

dkcrown
03-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Ooohh, Tim. A sunburst. Got any pics?

mm stan
03-03-2012, 02:52 PM
You all are making me laugh real hard...Hee! Hee! Hee! Think I'll get my UT-2-SB out and play a while to help mellow me out so I can get some sleep tonight...Double Hee! Hee! Hee!
Aloha Tim,
ooooo now you're making me jealous.....wish I had mine already....hope I can sleep tonight..so excited hee hee hee

Hippie Dribble
03-03-2012, 05:14 PM
so awesome Stan..sorry mate, I disappeared for awhile this morning...had to prize the kids off the computer with a pair of oversize pliers just now...he he

well, I'm amazed yet again at what an awesome community this is. And I can't believe you're going to get a Collings before me even!!! shucks...anyway, you know she will have a loving home here in Tassie if things don't work out mate (yeah right!!!). Fantastic news.

Blessings brus

your (friendly) Collings enabler, :)
eugene

mm stan
03-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Yes Eugene we certainly have an awesome Ukulele community here on the forums and I'm glad to call my friends....thank you sooo much all of you....a new Collins soon to be owner....woo hooo

Smiley
03-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Glad this worked out. Stan you're gonna love the Collings. I'll miss her but right now it's best for me too, and what a good home. Thanks everyone, and especially Eugene the Uke Enabler... ;)

Drew Bear
03-03-2012, 08:07 PM
You know, I can't tell if Jon talked Stan into a Collings or if Stan maneuvered Jon to "convince" him to buy the Collings. ;) Congrats on the soon-to-be New Uke Day, Stan! That was an exciting 8 hr. episode of "UAS on UU".

johntz
03-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Congrats Stan!!! Now you better be careful they have a way of multiplying.

hmgberg
03-04-2012, 01:54 AM
You know, I can't tell if Jon talked Stan into a Collings or if Stan maneuvered Jon to "convince" him to buy the Collings. ;) Congrats on the soon-to-be New Uke Day, Stan! That was an exciting 8 hr. episode of "UAS on UU".

Yeah, I'll say it was fast! I missed it all until now.

In July, as a birthday present to me, me wonderful wife drove me to The Music Emporium (about 4 hrs. away), just so I could play those fine ukes, compare them, and just generally get an ukulele fix. I wrote about my experience here, on UU, at the time. Much of what I wrote was a vaunt of Collings. Apart from the vintage Martin sopranos I played, they were the only ones that completely blew me away - no Moore Bettahs in stock). I played three of them - sunburst mahogany concert, regular mahogany concert, koa concert - and they were all great. My favorite was...the sunburst mahogany concert.

What makes them great? It has all been stated on this thread, but let me reiterate FWIW that they are immaculately constructed. I looked over every one of them for a very long time, inside and out, and I could find absolutely no evidence that any one of them was made by hand. Perfect. There a subtle details in the design, such as the bevel on top of the headstock, that are very classy and so well executed. The finish is extraordinary. Despite the fact that they were strung with Aquilas (not my favorite choice for mahogany concerts), I could hear the particular voice of a Collings ukulele. Too often people compare them to Martins. To me, they do not sound like Martins. But, they are full, lush sounding ukuleles. They sound as clear and clean as they look. Oh! I wanted that uke so bad, but it was not really in the plan for the day.:(

Everything else I played that day paled in comparison (except the vintage Martins as I stated earlier). I won't mention perticular brands here because I don't want to upset anyone and this was just my subjective assessment. Let me just say that The Music Emporium stocks a lot of nice ukuleles. The only other ukuleles that impressed me in comparison were those made by Scott Wise.

I've been making ukuleles for over a year now with a terrific luthier friend of mine. Thus far, we have been making only sopranos. In fact, I just strung up a really nice koa one I made for myself on Friday. I'll post pics if I can figure out how. The Collings ukuleles I saw and played that day remain in my mind as inspiration, further support for the assertion that they are the best production ukuleles on the market. I was sorely aggrieved when I saw the NAMM video that so offended Jon. That said, I think you really need to hold one and play it for yourself to truly appreciate it.

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 02:21 AM
I got 3 Collings and i don't want to sell em. Jon (Eugene) and I had some personal emails about a particular uke Jon said he had regrets selling to me. its quite comical how latched onto a uke you can become.

the first time I played a Collings, I wasn't impressed and a fellow UU person even pmed me the same unsolicited testimony. When I bought Eugene's Collings uke and got it in my hands and played it, I thought I had stolen the whole candy store from all the neighborhood kids.

The only uke that has taken the Collings out of my hands was the Santa Cruz I bought.

So, now I'm back from vacation and I can reassess my impression of the Collings .

I just brought some other ukes back and got 2 ukes in the mail, A Kanilea Aldrine Guerrero and a martin 3M.

I think I'll vbe playing uke for most of the night.

mm stan
03-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Aloha Drew, John, Humberg, and Frankie,
thank you so much.. I am so excited from my first collins purchase, i cannot sleep.. I thank Smiley also for
the oppertunity to get one..it is like my computers... I got one from a dear friend and got hooked, line and sinker
but it is all fun and well worth it...thank you for all for sharing your experiences with me...woo hoo have a nice
weekend..Stan the new collins man...

specialk13
03-04-2012, 04:24 AM
mmStan, now that you're getting one soon, you will see that there's a "G" in Collings!
Something tells me you knew that already though :)

mm stan
03-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Mahalo Specialk13,
You darn right I knew there was a "G" in Collins...Just can't wait and I'm so excited....Thank you brother, Stan

foxfair
03-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Mahalo Specialk13,
You darn right I knew there was a "G" in Collins...Just can't wait and I'm so excited....Thank you brother, Stan
Wait for your NUD photos Stan...

mm stan
03-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Aloha Foxfair,

You bet ....I am so anxious too... been hearing great things about them....woo hooo
You guys and the UU forums are the "BEST" ....

"If Nothing ever changed...there would be no dreams"

Hippie Dribble
03-04-2012, 11:46 AM
aaaaaah, reading back over this thread makes me sooo happy...weeeeeeeeee.

Specialk, I gave up telling Stan it had a 'g' in it after the first 30 times ha ha....I think I started to look at it as one of those speech things...like I say 'cimmanun' and just can't get out 'cinnamon' no matter how hard I try!!!! he he :o

specialk13
03-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Ha! That's kinda what I figured as well.....

cletus
03-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Wait for your NUD photos Stan...

Stan is NUDE????

:drool::uhoh::stop:

Cheers:old:

mm stan
03-04-2012, 01:01 PM
aaaaaah, reading back over this thread makes me sooo happy...weeeeeeeeee.

Specialk, I gave up telling Stan it had a 'g' in it after the first 30 times ha ha....I think I started to look at it as one of those speech things...like I say 'cimmanun' and just can't get out 'cinnamon' no matter how hard I try!!!! he he :o
Ha Ha Eugene...we must have had talks 6 months ago you telling me about Collins...and ever since..I admit
I was kinda hesitant...So now I pulled the trigger, and just can't wait.. yes this is a feel good thread for me too..
thank you again.. and Cletus...no way nude bruddah... I'm no Chip n Dale dancer at this age...yuck..ha ha

808boy
03-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Aloha Eugene,
Stan needs this to help intergrate his collection of K-brands. And for me, so he can quit bugging me about the resent great deals I've been scoring and asking me to sell them to him,hehe.
Just scored another one...story on another thread..............................BO............ ............

dkcrown
03-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Congrats Stan. Now that you are going to own one, you have to learn how to spell it correctly. C-O-L-L-I-N-G-S.

Oh, and to everybody else here on the UU, I finally found a photo of the mystery man himself. I hope you don't mind me posting this Bruddah.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/neon_armidillo/Chippendale1.jpg

Hippie Dribble
03-04-2012, 01:22 PM
fresh from a waxing eh mate. Lookin sharp...not intelligent...but sharp ha ha :p

(better not let eugenie see this :o )

mm stan
03-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Aloha Dana,
That was my younger days, here is a more recent picture of me..he he Oh "G" in Collings..ha ha
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/Masterl23/ugly-man.jpg

Spent all my money and now I'm old, dumb, and poor...collecting donations for my ukulele fund..

mm stan
03-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Here is the Uke model I'm supposed to get ..pictures is not my uke...
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/001-1.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/003-2.jpg[/QUOTE]

dkcrown
03-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Here is the Uke I'm supposed to get ..pictures is not my uke...
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/001-1.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/003-2.jpg[/QUOTE]

That one is not for sale my friend.:)

mm stan
03-04-2012, 01:49 PM
How about the Stand then DK?? ha ha

Smiley
03-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Here's a teaser Stan... 34677

Smiley
03-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Here are some new pictures... Of course I just had to play her a bit to take the pics. What was I thinking :confused: :drool: Oh yea Stan NEEDS a Collings and I need to pay the mortgage. Ha Ha... Great looks, great build, great player, great sound... Really happy Stan is getting a Collings! ;)

Smiley
03-04-2012, 04:01 PM
and with the case... 34699

mm stan
03-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Aloha Smiley,
Woo hoo...I will not be able to sleep for the next four nites now..ha ha beautiful bruddah....thank you for the teaser pictures...just can't wait and all excited.....

Nickie
03-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Stan, give up. You deserve it, don't you?

Trinimon
03-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Haha, congrats on da new uke, brudadh Stan! :)

bbqribs
03-04-2012, 05:00 PM
So, Stan, what next?

mm stan
03-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Aloha Nicky, Carlton, and BBrribs,
Thank you so much...just worked out well with Smiley...he's a really nice guy, it is a pleasure doing business with him...woo hoo I been a very bad bad bad man...UAS has hit me hard...I cannot divulge my other bad things I have done....too ashamed you know for now it's a mystery... and as for Bad Bad Bad Eugene...he's a good enabler and friend....

mm stan
03-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Stan, give up. You deserve it, don't you?

Yes Nicky...I have been having a bad year with health issues...a good distraction for me... woo hoo:)

consitter
03-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Now you need to get a KoAloha!!

mm stan
03-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Aloha Scott,
Was at their shop 5 days ago and got a concert...and I have a soprano....yes they are great and so are the Okamis....

arpie
03-04-2012, 06:58 PM
he, he, he with the most ukes wins!!

I reckon you must be leading the pack, Stan!!

Good on ya! ENjoy playing them all

Roberta

Dan Uke
03-04-2012, 07:00 PM
he, he, he with the most ukes wins!!

I reckon you must be leading the pack, Stan!!

Good on ya! ENjoy playing them all

Roberta

I am curious who has the most? Mystery Man or Suzukhammer?

mm stan
03-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I am curious who has the most? Mystery Man or Suzukhammer?
Gotta be Frankie....I only have a few ukes...:o:)

Canoe Lady
03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Stan, really, you probably need to make room for those new ukes, so send me some of the old ones for storage, eh? I have lots of room here in the old house.

mm stan
03-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Stan, really, you probably need to make room for those new ukes, so send me some of the old ones for storage, eh? I have lots of room here in the old house.
um um um um um....he he he oh no, not my babies besides they are not used to cold weather..and may get
cracked up....lol

SuzukHammer
03-05-2012, 02:51 AM
Stan for sure. he's been at it for decades - maybe 100 years so far. He paid Nunes 3 pineapples for his first uke.

mm stan
03-05-2012, 02:55 AM
Stan for sure. he's been at it for decades - maybe 100 years so far. He paid Nunes 3 pineapples for his first uke.

Hey you talking about Bill Tapia...Ha ha I'm still a young guy Frankie,
At least I think:confused: BTW get one nunes for 295.oo for sale ova here in the islands..

1931jim
03-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Is there a sense of guilt whenever each uke does not get play time every day.?? Some days I barely give my concert mahogany ten to fifteen minutes.

SuzukHammer
03-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Is there a sense of guilt whenever each uke does not get play time every day.?? Some days I barely give my concert mahogany ten to fifteen minutes.

ok now you are making me feel bad.

I'll use the Collings Koa as a backscratcher.
I'll use the Mya Moe tenor as a shoe horn.
I'll put some razors on my Kawiya and I'll shave every day with it.
My flukes I'll use as salad tongs.

mm stan
03-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Woo Hoo my Collings has been mailed out today....should get it by Wednesday...yes yes.... Mahalo Nui for the fast mailing Smiley...:):)

Hippie Dribble
03-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Woo Hoo my Collings has been mailed out today....should get it by Wednesday...yes yes.... Mahalo Nui for the fast mailing Smiley...:):)
awesome mate, can't wait to hear your thoughts...

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrggghghhgh....YOU SPELT IT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the worm has surely turned :p

PedalFreak
03-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Interesting thread. I've been considering a UT1 for a bit now. Anyone compare a Mahogany UT1 to a 50's Martin Tenor? What do you think about the 2? I'm leaning toward one of these for a Low G 'uke.

Stan you'll have to let me know what you think about your collings when you get it!

Trinimon
03-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Aloha Scott,
Was at their shop 5 days ago and got a concert...and I have a soprano....yes they are great and so are the Okamis....

Aloha Stan! Looks like you been busy with da UAS eh?! So you gonna come out to Nico's on Friday when I get to Oahu in June and show us some of da new toys? lol

mm stan
03-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Interesting thread. I've been considering a UT1 for a bit now. Anyone compare a Mahogany UT1 to a 50's Martin Tenor? What do you think about the 2? I'm leaning toward one of these for a Low G 'uke.

Stan you'll have to let me know what you think about your collings when you get it!

Aloha Aaron...
I'll make that comparison for you...when I get the Collings..:)

mm stan
03-05-2012, 08:15 AM
awesome mate, can't wait to hear your thoughts...

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrggghghhgh....YOU SPELT IT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the worm has surely turned :p

Aloha Eugene...
Geeeeeeee I remember it's "G" in Collings not
Gee... ha ha I can't wait to get it myself... will let you know...wanna sell yours..:):)

LIke that saying the worm has turned....means things are looking up...cool mate

mm stan
03-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Aloha Stan! Looks like you been busy with da UAS eh?! So you gonna come out to Nico's on Friday when I get to Oahu in June and show us some of da new toys? lol

Aloha Carlton....
hee hee trying to keep low key...but this thread has exposed me.....darn it...ha ha What you'll be in the Islands in June...that is cool we gotta get together I'm sure you'll are buying a K brand when you come here....you must..

mm stan
03-05-2012, 08:21 AM
ok now you are making me feel bad.

I'll use the Collings Koa as a backscratcher.
I'll use the Mya Moe tenor as a shoe horn.
I'll put some razors on my Kawiya and I'll shave every day with it.
My flukes I'll use as salad tongs.

Aloha Frankie,
If you are using a Koa Collings as a back scratcher...send it to me:) that will make you feel better...I'm always there for friends.....ha ha

Trinimon
03-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Aloha Carlton....
hee hee trying to keep low key...but this thread has exposed me.....darn it...ha ha What you'll be in the Islands in June...that is cool we gotta get together I'm sure you'll are buying a K brand when you come here....you must..

You bet! I'm in Oahu for 10days before heading to Big Island for another 10days before flying back to Oahu for a few more before heading back home. Got my Kamaka "Special" quote from Tekla already and will be placing that order in a couple weeks for pickup when I get to your slice of paradise! First round of drinks on me. lol

mm stan
03-05-2012, 09:31 AM
You bet! I'm in Oahu for 10days before heading to Big Island for another 10days before flying back to Oahu for a few more before heading back home. Got my Kamaka "Special" quote from Tekla already and will be placing that order in a couple weeks for pickup when I get to your slice of paradise! First round of drinks on me. lol
Aloha Carlton,
Holy Moly... wow a long vacation brah...that is real cool bruddah....and you picking up a special kamaka too...double wow....You like Nico's.. he he betcha just can't wait...

Trinimon
03-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Aloha Carlton,
Holy Moly... wow a long vacation brah...that is real cool bruddah....and you picking up a special kamaka too...double wow....You like Nico's.. he he betcha just can't wait...

Haha, Nico's, Helena's, Liliha Bakery for some nice loco moco and coco puffs and Leonard's are a must! So get that Collings and KoAloha ready and we'll see if we can hit up MGM Mike at Nico's kanikapila. :)

Smiley
03-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Ok Stan... The Collings is off the mainland and in Honolulu! Just a little more patience... Ha ha :)

mm stan
03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Wow Smiley..that was quick..the mailman comes in a few minuetes to pick up your payment...thank you for shipping it in advance so quickly...I am all excited that it is on the island already..
Wooooo Hooooo Caaaaanot wait...ha ha thank you again...it raining over here again...isn't rain supposed to mean a blessing....yes it was with you....Stan

SuzukHammer
03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
shipped before payment recieved??? Nice!!

OldePhart
03-07-2012, 07:09 AM
I would congratulate Eugene on coercing mm_stan into buying a Collings except...I don't think it takes a lot of persuading to convince Stan to add to his collection... LOL

John

mm stan
03-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Hey John,
You say Ukulele ......I jump...ha ha nah we been talking about the collins for 6 months....he he finally pulled the trigger...

rem50
03-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Can we all buy new ukes and blame it on eugene......hmmmm??????:confused:

Hippie Dribble
03-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Hey John,
You say Ukulele ......I jump...ha ha nah we been talking about the collins for 6 months....he he finally pulled the trigger...
oh no....back to the old habits Bruddah. Not happy at all about this.

If anyone is cruising through Honolulu today and sees a lonely looking "G" on the footpath, can someone please pass it to Stan? :biglaugh:

mm stan
03-07-2012, 09:46 AM
oh no....back to the old habits Bruddah. Not happy at all about this. I'm going to have to report you to the English teacher.

If anyone is cruising through Honolulu today and sees a lonely looking "G" on the footpath, can someone please pass it to Stan? :biglaugh:
ha ha is that the spelling police man eugene or the ukulele enabler eugene....Gee track and confirm says out to
deivery today..weeeee...

Smiley
03-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Give me a ring when you get her out of the box! Shouldn't be too much longer... Don't be surprised if someone added a "g" to the headstock, I hear some come that way.

mm stan
03-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Aloha Smiley,
I'll have a Tom Collins while I wait for the "COLLINGS" Gee who else noticed.. ha ha
will let you know when I receive it....just can't wait....all excited..

Hippie Dribble
03-07-2012, 10:17 AM
:LOST:

URGENT: a Mr M. M. Stan has lost a "G"

** His close friends are "F" and "H" ** However, he has run away before this and may be elusive **

----- If found please contact Bill at Collings Guitars, Nashville (or PM Stan he he) ----

:rofl::biglaugh:

OldePhart
03-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Don't feel too bad stan - about half the time I foret that pesky 'g' myself, and I've been an admirer (from afar) of Collin[g]s guitars for years.

Hippie Dribble
03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
he he...yeah John, I totally et where you're comin from...as I have arued with many reat friends...and find myself, in the midst of a enuinely raphic discussion, attempting to pronounce words with the letter 'g' in them, to be reeted only with a reat aping hole where it once used to be

1931jim
03-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Golly G. euene.

mm stan
03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Aloha Sheriff Eugene of the spelling police...All points bulletin out for the perp.. His close friends F and H were apprehended at the Post Office trying to steal a package which said CollinGs Guitars..however some how the perp slipped through and got the package...15 minuetes ago.... we are now staking out the perps residence and hear sweet music coming from his bedroom....we
will be on high surveilance and continue to monitor as we are enjoying the music...10-4 over and out.....

mm stan
03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Collings Concert Arrived safely...thank you smiley and thank you for the quick shipping..wow what a wonderful ukulele ...I am happy uker..polished it to a gloss shine..woo hoo
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad222/ukestan/newaquisitiions3712003.jpg[/QUOTE]

mm stan
03-07-2012, 03:35 PM
another pic...http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad222/ukestan/newaquisitiions3712005.jpg

Canoe Lady
03-07-2012, 03:38 PM
What fun this has been, and it ends with a lovely uke in the hands of Stan. That man needs more hands for all his ukes.

mm stan
03-07-2012, 03:38 PM
It now has a nice shine...woo hoo

It now has a nice shine..:) http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad222/ukestan/newaquisitiions3712004.jpg

mm stan
03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Mahalo Miss Hana girl,
Woo hoo I am a happy uker...it sounds and looks real nice...Smiley is the best, if he sells ukes..jump

Trinimon
03-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Aloha Stan! You got a winner there! She's a beauty! Congrats bruddah! :)

roxhum
03-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Congratulations Stan on a beautiful new ukulele. Now you can send me that Myo Moe to try out. Ha ha

mm stan
03-07-2012, 04:38 PM
After minor set up, tuning and polish..she look sweet and sounds sweet too...just took about 15 minuetes...it is a keeper...wow wee

Nickie
03-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Wow, how pretty! Can I borrow it for my next gig? LOL, JK...
Many congratulations, buddy!

SuzukHammer
03-07-2012, 05:11 PM
wow beautiful. Now you need a custom Collings.

Hippie Dribble
03-07-2012, 05:39 PM
So pleased for you Bruddah. Lovely looking uke. Great guy Smiley. Fast service and that aloha UU spirit comes to the fore again. Happy days are with us. My favorite thread ever, never thought we'd have so much fun and that it would be resolved in this way, just makes me so happy Stan, you my best Bruddah and we all treasure you mate. BEST THREAD EVER...oh, hang on, I started it didn't I ha ha!!!!!:p

wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

:smileybounce:

:cheers: and blessings to all,

your friendly Collins enabler, euene :)

SuzukHammer
03-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Euene, I think you forot somethin

Hippie Dribble
03-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Euene, I think you forot somethin

oh ood rief Frank, what????

Smiley
03-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm thrilled that I could participate in Stan eting a Collins. Thanks for staring this Euene. I've enjoyed a number of great conversations with Stan during this event and couldn't be happier that he ended up with this sweet uke and to have him as a new friend. We talked after he tuned the Collins up. He then played the Collins, a KoAloha, a 50's Martin, an Oscar Schmidt, and a Hello Kitty uke for me. We areed that playing any uke is a joy. Thanks all for the fun! Smiley

p.s Where did my ' ' o?

SuzukHammer
03-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Did you just say Stan played a Hello Kitty uke? Was it Koa or Mahoganey?

Smiley
03-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Hep, Hello Kitty. My guess is that it was made of mohoany. It's like mohogany without the wood...

808boy
03-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Aloha Bruddah,
Congrats on that Collings uke.
What I want to know is how does it stack up to your arsenal of ukes that you own or have played in your vast experience? If your don't want to give your assessment publicly, PM me or tell me during our daily phone conversation.
Will be anxiously waiting....................................BO..... ..............................

ukuhippo
03-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Is this a bad time to say I think mm stan doesn't need a Collings uke?

Hippie Dribble
03-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Is this a bad time to say I think mm stan doesn't need a Collings uke?

ah yes hippo. The first sane post of the entire thread. You are most correct. What was all this about anyway...shucks :)

1931jim
03-08-2012, 03:04 AM
And they all lived happily ever after. I might get a new snow shovel now that they are going on sale. :)

OldePhart
03-08-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm thrilled that I could participate in Stan eting a Collins. Thanks for staring this Euene. I've enjoyed a number of great conversations with Stan during this event and couldn't be happier that he ended up with this sweet uke and to have him as a new friend. We talked after he tuned the Collins up. He then played the Collins, a KoAloha, a 50's Martin, an Oscar Schmidt, and a Hello Kitty uke for me. We areed that playing any uke is a joy. Thanks all for the fun! Smiley

p.s Where did my ' ' o?

Hmmm, well, two stray ' 's showed up...

Uke Whisperer
03-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Congrats on the Collings Stan!
It's been a fun thread to follow.
(Collins did make some fine radio equipment)

vanflynn
03-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Aloha and congrats Stan. May the two of you make much happy music together.

Smiley
03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Hmmm, well, two stray ' 's showed up...

And to think I spent all morning lookin' for 'em.... At least I know where they are.

mm stan
03-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Aloha Gang, Can't stay long..thank you all...have major computer issues and had to reinstall windows. shoots
thanks to facebook..lost all my programs and everything..it is hell.. not trying to load some back...#=*#X
have to try again.. talk to you when I get things back...thank you all again, Stan

blue_knight_usa
04-04-2012, 08:47 PM
well, c'mon all you Collings owners, lets tell him.

Bruddah Stan is curious about Collings ukes but suspicious about the 'hype'. Here's our chance to sell him one...why would you recommend them? What are the outstanding features of a Collings ukulele that make it a 'must have' in a collection? :)

Well, I have to say there is no "hype" other than hyped up owners that are excited every time they pick up their Collings and start playing (that would be me). I own the 16th UC3K that Collings made which as of 2011 there were only 16 ever made (My photos are attached). It is absolute perfection in how it is made. I have a one piece top and back and the koa and finish are stunning. It has been inspected by several very highly respected luthiers (Peter Hurney who is making my custom concert right now) inspected it inside and out and their only comment was "how do they have things so perfect?". NO seams...yes there are seams but you just don't see them. Inside bracing is meticulous, no glue, nothing. Almost as if the wood is just sitting there unjoined but it's joined well. The sound of mine is so wonderful and I use Savarez Reds rather than Aquila's on all my ukes. Did I mention the sound? Wow is all I can say on mine. You can get an incredible uke from Mya-Moe as I have one of those as well but mine is a resonator so apple and oranges in sound but it is fantastic. Looking at the two in how they are made, the Collings just takes the cake in "Tightness" in how it's all assembled in my opinion. For the money their UT-1's play fantastic and I think it's a great value for $1000 bucks which is what you can find them for. I'll never sell mine as I spoke to Collins directly who said they might release one or two UC3K's "a year", depending on the other production requests. I got REALLY lucky. Brudda Stan, with a Collins you'd be "Stan Da Man!".

In all seriousness I love mine, play it every day without exception and play it with my group every week. If anyone is in the bay area and wants to check out a UC3k, priv msg me. I'm always in for a good jam session.

I'll definitely be getting one of their Tenor prototypes as if you have a Collings, you have to get another! CAS (Collings Acquisition Syndrome!), it's a variation of UAS and even deadlier to your bank account (or kids college fund)... there is nothing wrong with community college for your kids right? I keep telling my wife that.

blue_knight_usa
04-04-2012, 08:51 PM
It now has a nice shine...woo hoo
Guess I should have looked a "all" the thread. So after getting one, what are your thoughts?
Congratulations, the wood on that one looks fantastic!

foxfair
04-04-2012, 10:33 PM
stan has been speechless since he got his Collins uke. That's why.

Goats Can Eat Anything
04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Stan:

Congrats! What did you use to polish the uke?

Thanks!