Ivory Saddle or Nut Upgrades?

the.ronin

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has upgraded their saddle and/or nut to ivory - fossilized west african, walrus, mammoth - and noticed any improvements in projection or tone?

I'd come across just one reference in the search - someone had dropped in an ivory saddle for their Cordoba C25 I think it was to noticeable improvement in his opinion.

Didn't try any of those saddles...but I do have molokai deer horn on my tenor...it is very hard too
I know it is brighter, but I have many other appolintments on my uke too to make it real bright.
I have birdeye spruce, truss rod, deer horn nut, and aquila strings which adds to the brightness... in fact I thought
it was way to bright to me so I dropped the tuning a half to full step and threw on some Martin 620's.
which made it perfect..so you are still have room to change things if you are not satisfied...hope it helps good luck
if you try those exotic types, send me Pm on how they work for you..

Last edited:
As a note, there are some places selling ivory that is "legally obtained." Please be very wary if this, as the demand for ivory just resulted in a recent slaughter of elephants (see here). DON'T BUY ELEPHANT IVORY, no matter what the source.

I have used all ivories in the past and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between ivory and good old bleached cow bone.

2nd on that. Ivory is way overrated.

I have used all ivories in the past and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between ivory and good old bleached cow bone.

Top Bottom