Anyone Rocking the Waverlys?

the.ronin

Reaction score
WANT :drool:

Waverly_Ukulele_Tuners_sm.jpg

Anyone rocking these? I've got some ebony button ones for a guitar and they are rock solid. Thinking of upgrading the Schallers (?) on my Kamaka with these.

Are thy Koa? They look aesthetically nice.

Are thy Koa? They look aesthetically nice.
LOL people are going to think I work for Stew Mac (they own Waverly I think?) ... yeah they are koa. But the price is hmm kinda steep for Waverly.

Would really complete the look on a Kamaka though I think - much more than the sealed Schallers on their now ...

kamakahf3-4.jpg

I've had a couple sets of the koa button uke tuners and they work very well. I also like how light they are for geared tuners, money well spent in my book.

They are Koa. They're great and really hold tune very well, but I have little experience with other tuners. The stock Grovers on an Islander MSC-4 do not hold tune nearly as well as the Waverlys.

U2a.jpg

Holy smokes!! i was considering till i saw the price. And I usually buy the expensive stuff

Look folks,...."cheap" they're not,.....but THAT'S what you're paying for,.......TOP quality! And they for sure are that.

Machining costs more than stampings,......simple math. I have 2 sets of these, and would not hesitate to install a set on any ukulele worthy of an upgrade. The high gear ratio makes slight tuning adjustments a breeze,.....and are they SMOOTH when adjusting. The worm gears are solidly held in place with a screwed in bushing,.....very solid. Usually the worm gear is simply "hooked" in place behind a stamped metal ficture.

I also like the weight savings over the metal buttoned Grovers i replaced on my Kanile'a soprano K-2 (Walnut/Bearclaw Spruce). The Waverlys better balanced,.....eliminating the peghead-heavy feel.

........if you have a ukulele you really love, and the upgrade makes sense based on it's value,......you won't be disappointed!

Look folks,...."cheap" they're not,.....but THAT'S what you're paying for,.......TOP quality! And they for sure are that.

Machining costs more than stampings,......simple math. I have 2 sets of these, and would not hesitate to install a set on any ukulele worthy of an upgrade. The high gear ratio makes slight tuning adjustments a breeze,.....and are they SMOOTH when adjusting. The worm gears are solidly held in place with a screwed in bushing,.....very solid. Usually the worm gear is simply "hooked" in place behind a stamped metal ficture.

I also like the weight savings over the metal buttoned Grovers i replaced on my Kanile'a soprano K-2 (Walnut/Bearclaw Spruce). The Waverlys better balanced,.....eliminating the peghead-heavy feel.

........if you have a ukulele you really love, and the upgrade makes sense based on it's value,......you won't be disappointed!
I completely agree with the quality of Waverly tuners. The smoothness and accuracy are something I had never felt in other tuners of equal or lower price - granted, you can get Grover Sta-Tites in 18:1s as well but they just don't feel as smooth and solid. I have Waverly on a Martin D-1 and Sta-Tites on a Taylor Big Baby.

I will say the price may be a bit high even after taking into consideration the quality - but I would hardly ever call them overrated. You spend a grand on a uke and balk at a $100 tuner? lol ... and heck even if it was a $300-$500 "low-end" uke, I think throwing on some very nice $99 tuners on them can really add to its character.

Heck, the Waverly on my Martin is $170 approx and the guitar is $800 list ... but whatever lol ...

after1.jpgafter2.jpg

Last edited:
WANT :drool:

Waverly_Ukulele_Tuners_sm.jpg

Anyone rocking these? I've got some ebony button ones for a guitar and they are rock solid. Thinking of upgrading the Schallers (?) on my Kamaka with these.

What about the holes not matching up? Drill new ones? Fill the old? I wonder if they are a drop in replacement for the grovers open geared tuners on my Kanilea. Then I would go for it. On the Kamaka, they definitely wouldn't install without drilling and filling.

What about the holes not matching up? Drill new ones? Fill the old? I wonder if they are a drop in replacement for the grovers open geared tuners on my Kanilea. Then I would go for it. On the Kamaka, they definitely wouldn't install without drilling and filling.
On my HF3 for sure not drop in. Only 1 hole for the closed Schaller tuners. And that 1 hole might not even line up LOL. Yeah I just fill in the old hole with wood filler and try to match up the color. Typically people fill it with a toothpick and some glue and polish it down. What's more problematic is the tuner hole itself which may require bushing adapters which ideally is a snug fit. Less ideally, its a loose fit in which case just layer some tape around the bushing. Worse case, it doesnt fit and you may have to widen the holes just a bit.

So I'd expect that these sorts of modifications may effect resale value depending on the buyer so something to consider for sure.

Waverlys come standard on all Hive Ukuleles.....great tuners. I generally use the nickel or gold tuners with ebony buttons.

Attachments

• hive_hornet_walnut-41.jpg
    hive_hornet_walnut-41.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 22
  • hive_hornet_walnut-37.jpg
    hive_hornet_walnut-37.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 20
  • hive_hornet_walnut-86.jpg
    hive_hornet_walnut-86.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 17
  • hive_hornet_maple-55.jpg
    hive_hornet_maple-55.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 21
  • hive_hornet_maple-106.jpg
    hive_hornet_maple-106.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 15
Waverlys come standard on all Hive Ukuleles.....great tuners. I generally use the nickel or gold tuners with ebony buttons.
Beautiful. Looks like they have Waverly custom make them? I've only seen the nickel baseplate sold online.

The Waverly tuners will accept the bushings that are already installed on your Kanilea (assuming they are the stock Grover brand tuners). I think the Waverly stringmposts are .236" in diameter.

Great tuners! I have used them on every uke and guitar I've built for the past 5, 6 maybe 7 years.
Although, I think I actually prefer the guitar tuners more. I think the post has a better design on the guitar modle.

Last edited:
Great tuners! I have used them on every uke and guitar I've built for the past 5, 6 maybe 7 years.
Although, I think I actually prefer the guitar tuners more. I think the post has a better design on the guitar modle.

I agree.....I still use the guitar tuners as well. With my headstock design, I don't believe the smaller uke size is necessary.

Just curious what difference you are referring to? I don't have Waverlys on any of my guitars to compare with my 2 ululeles with them installed. (the "Uke" version). The pics on the Stewmac site of the guitar tuners appear the same to me.

Top Bottom