High G String not used in most song?

AcousticBuckeye

Reaction score
All,

So far in the beginner songs I've been learning they only use strings 1-3. The C through A string. Is this common? And how would it the G string be notated in music since the notes are re-entrant/overlap? I could see it easily notated with Tab but not so much with the standard musical staff. Hope I made sense here.

AB

If you are picking melodies, plucking one note at a time, than it might seem like the high g string is redundant at first. Even so you can pick (almost) any note that can be picked on the A string, 2 frets lower on the high G.

But that is not how the uke is commonly played. It is mostly played either as rhythm instrument where chords are strummed, using all four strings, or else picked using the thumb on the high g (and c) and one or more fingers picking the other strings (a, e, and also c).

Most of us, I believe, probably started learning using chord charts rather than tabs or piano classical style sheet music.

I notice the same thing in finger picking tabs. I think a line is easier for the player to follow (flows better, if you will) by not throwing string #4 into the mix. Less back-and-forth on the fretboard and picking fingers. But, sometimes I use it to replace a note when it works better for my fingers. If you look at tabs written specifically for Low G tuning, this doesn't seem to happen because the strings are tuned in a continuous, non-re-entrand, progression.

Just thinking about my own playing styles made me realize that I actually do tend to pick a lot of single notes, particularly when picking blues riffs or simple melodies. My previous post was a bit misleading I think because i implied that melody picking isnt done that much on the uke. Really its just another way to enjoy these great little instruments. But I tend to grab one of my low G ukes for that kind of playing.

I also use my Low G tenor for any picking (I don't do much!)
But as a former rhythm guitarist,the appeal of the ukulele for
me is as a chording tool,to provide backing for my dodgy vocals!

Top Bottom