PDA

View Full Version : Unboxing a Kanilea Aldrine Guerrero signature model uke

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 02:26 AM
I arrived back home yesterday and the mailman only gave me a uke box with a Martin 3M in it.

Comically, I was dissappointed because I was just wanting to get my hands on the Kanilea Aldrine Guerrero uke. think about that. I got a Martin 3M in my hands and I'm upset. Its funny now but yesterday, I was upset. Jetlagged and upset. So I went to sleep at 4 pm hoping tomorrow would be better.

So today at work, the mailcenter sent me an email saying I had a package. I got excited but remembered I had also sent myself a package of book music and shoes and clothes.

Anyways, the package arrived and its from Hawaii - Kanilea . Serious fist pumping action at the mailcenter.

so, I get to debox 2 ukes at the same time. It may be interesting. Velly velly interesting.

Pictures to follow as soon as I run some errands and maybe watch a movie or two.

connor013
03-04-2012, 02:31 AM
What?! Such a tease!

I didn't even know Kanilea made an Aldrine signature model. How am I supposed to concentrate through four hours of class?

Can't wait for the pics.

Lexxy
03-04-2012, 02:33 AM
Dibs on photos videos and everything we can get our hands on!

nscafe
03-04-2012, 03:10 AM
Well I will patiently wait to see the pictures of BOTH ukes. :)

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 03:19 AM
I couldn't get out the door to do my errands. I was too excited.

And I was also curious to see if the uke and its case survived the shipment because there were some damage marks to the box and .. well. it survived. the case was in perfect shape . Perfect and unblemished. Whew... I was relieved.

but the case sure felt light. Did they forget to pack the uke inside the case?

I opened the case.......

oh, have I shown you guys the picture of my new baby boy. Here he is waking up a couple of weeks ago.

Truth be told is I have learned that I love him more than ukuleles. Don't tell anybody because my wife disagrees with me and points to all my ukulele babys and says I love them more. Women and their intuitions!!!

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 03:22 AM
here is the fine black case the Kanilea may have arrived in. Nothing was rattling in there and it sure felt light.

I put the case on my clothes hanger / ironing board.

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 03:27 AM
I did find the Aldrine ukulele in the case. awesome!!

I'll start out slowly for you as I have taken it out and played it (untuned yet) - FREAKIN AWESOMEST UNTUNED sound ever.

so, before we get into it:

Here is a picture of the rosette that lots of people posted about saying they hated the rosette. I would have to honestly say if you actually had this uke in your hands, you would not hate the rosette.

I dig the rosette. I think its real purdy. I do. I hope this photo does it justice because if it doesn't, I'll post some more.

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 03:36 AM
Sung as a bug in a rug. The Aldrine T inside its case.

time for me to go get dinner.

mm stan
03-04-2012, 03:39 AM
Hey Frankie you teaser.....darn you..congrats..show us your damn ukulele..ha ha have fun man and happy
strummings...how much did that one set you back... what a martin and three collins...how many ukes do you
have now?? if you cannot give all your ukulele babies full attention...I will adopt them from you with no fee.. ha ha
shoots I wish I had a disposable income like you...rats Oh you finally posted a picture..
nice bro...send it to me to break in for you.. I promise I will send it back I think:o

stevepetergal
03-04-2012, 04:30 AM
If that was sitting in my house, I don't think I'd be eating for a few days!!!

Sung as a bug in a rug. The Aldrine T inside its case.

time for me to go get dinner.

KimosTherapy
03-04-2012, 04:30 AM
Howzit Frankie,

SWEET!!! :cheers: Did you upgrade to the Gilbert tuners?

Talk about disposable income ... don't you also have a custom DeVine uke in the works as well??? :drool:

I'm VERY, VERY JEALOUS!!!

Seriously though, I attended the 2012 NAMM SHOW and had the privilege of playing the Kanile'a Aldrine Signature uke that was on display. That is one AWESOME uke for sure!!!

CONGRATS!!!

Aloha,

Kimo

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Howzit Frankie,

SWEET!!! :cheers: Did you upgrade to the Gilbert tuners?

Talk about disposable income ... don't you also have a custom DeVine uke in the works as well??? :drool:

I'm VERY, VERY JEALOUS!!!

Seriously though, I attended the 2012 NAMM SHOW and had the privilege of playing the Kanile'a Aldrine Signature uke that was on display. That is one AWESOME uke for sure!!!

CONGRATS!!!

Aloha,

Kimo

I spent about 40 minutes playing the Kanilea just now. Its a tenor and I am used to Concerts so it took some time to get my fingers working right and the strings went out of tune at 20 minutes. This tenor obviously has more volume and ringing to it. There were "squeaks" from the new strings on the nubone but its going away. When I first was tuning it, it sounded like birds chirping; but, it has disappeared the more I strum it so its not noticeable.

I did not get the Gilbert tuners because I was ordering them on a Aldrine uke when Kristen told me the 2012 NAMM uke was available without the Gilbert tuners (no wait on special orders); so the decision was made to take the NAMM display uke cause I got zero patience for waiting and Gilbert tuners - I likely don't have the skill to even know the difference yet.

Yes, I ordered a Devine and that is so far into the future that I keep putting it out of mind. Thanks for reminding me and making me all fidgety haha.

I am supposed to sample other ukes to compare to this Aldrine Tenor tonight; but, I'm thinking I better sleep for an early day at work. I am afraid I'll stay up all night if I start rolling on the ukes.

Here's the cycle. work - disposable income - spend disposable income - work - disposable income - spend disposable income - work. I'm right now on the work part of the cycle so ... its hopefully gonna be a short night of playing.

Toucan Mango
03-04-2012, 04:58 AM
Congrats, I really dig that ukulele! :shaka:

rpfrogner
03-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Excellent looking ukulele! Can't wait to see more pics. Can we please see a few of the Martin 3 also?

dkcrown
03-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Beautiful ukulele Frank. When I saw the pic I thought that the grain looks similar to my Moore Bettah. I'm sure that it sounds great.
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/005-2.jpg

Trinimon
03-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Damn! Didn't even know the signature ukes were already shipping. Congrats!

CoLmes
03-04-2012, 07:38 AM
I love this uke, hope it comes to uwc.

gritzy59
03-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah. Man I am TOTALLY jealous, congrats on the purchase. You are one very lucky person :)

Hippie Dribble
03-04-2012, 01:03 PM
sheez Frank...that's one long dinner mate...like lunch with the work crew on a Friday afternoon ha ha :p me, I've long run out of popcorn

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Its 4 am now and I got to get ready for work by 6:30 am. let's see if I can squeeze out some more pictures.

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 02:36 PM

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 02:38 PM

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 02:50 PM
I think Colmes nailed it. The sound. I will likely only be able to get a sound sample up after work today - 12 hours or so.

I was a little mesmerized with the sound last night and that only makes me want to play it 2 or 3 more times before I am convinced I can adequately describe the sound in comparison to other ukes. It sounds different than any other uke I've owned but that could be because I own mostly concerts.

Because the sound seemed to long sustain - or some sort of life - like strong resonant frequency, I was actually playing my songs more slowly just to hear voice. I think this means the uke is very responsive and i'm gonna have to buckle up on technique to really hit the note length right.

I have a feeling that playing the chord then fingering notes in each bar will be alot different than before.

Less typing, more playing.

Hippie Dribble
03-04-2012, 02:53 PM
man that's illegal...the smoky red lighting, too sexy. mods...we need a rating accompanying those photos :drool:

mds725
03-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Beautiful ukulele! Congratulations!

Joe and Kristen Sousa are going to be in the San Francisco Bay Area in a couple of weeks doing presentations about Kanile'a Ukuleles at a few local ukulele shops. I'm planning to go to one of these presentations, and I'm hoping there's going to be an Aldrine signature model there for people to test-play.

Stevelele
03-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks Frank. I'm very curious whether you feel like this kanilea sounds different from some of the other ones you've played. I think this signature uke looks spectacular, but I wonder if there's a difference between how this was built and how their other ones were made, in terms of the bracing and the structural components that affect the sound. My understanding is that kanilea doesn't have a separate team that focuses on customs--that it all goes the the same production line, and that the differences in the ukes mainly have to do with the options and woods and not so much the structure or of the people making the instrument. That said, I can't wait for a sound sample--very curious about this uke.

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 03:51 PM
I know that kanileas differ in sound - each has its uniqueness and thats why I would only purchase one after personally trying it out. I bought a concert Kanilea like that and really appreaciate the sound. It is one of my favorites - a change of pace from the Collings and Santa Cruz.

I bought this uke without the benefit of test driving it only because it had a performer's input into the construction. I don't know how it differs from the regular line; however, I am extremely satisfied with the purchase. I just got done playing with it. Exploring really.

I'm hooked and not just for the hype.

I pointed out the squeak or chirp and that seems to have gone away. I'll point out any cosmetic or sound points that could be construed as minor flaws - however, just from playing it, I know I will keep it. I don't even really consider them flaws because its hand made and I have always found flaws on any uke I have purchased. If anything, its more of identifying features, like a persons fingerprint. I only see 2 and only one showed up based on the picture with the flash so that might not even exist.

The sound today from the uke was very responsive and pretty. Its warmer than the bright Collings sound but it rings into brightness if that makes any sense to people. pull offs were clearer than any of my other ukes.

I liked the slide sound but I haven't perfected it so it was hit or miss; but when I did hit the slides, this uke sounded like more of a professional instrument than any other I've played.

Smiley
03-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Beautiful! Congratulations... BTW: The Santa Cruz really turned my head and ear too...

mm stan
03-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Aloha Frankie,
I have played top Kanilea's.. and they have a rich and warm sound..great resonation and substain with aquilas....how is your comfort and playability?
I know the Kanilea's I tried had a fat thick D shaped neck..how is yours shaped....thanks

SuzukHammer
03-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Aloha Frankie,
I have played top Kanilea's.. and they have a rich and warm sound..great resonation and substain with aquilas....how is your comfort and playability?
I know the Kanilea's I tried had a fat thick D shaped neck..how is yours shaped....thanks

Everything you say is correct. At first the fat D shape neck was not easy to get used to; but, only after a few hours, it feels comfortable and easy to slide (in fact, I over slid - its how easy it was to get used to the neck). Let's see how I feel in a week about the comfort and playability.

Smiley, I opened the case to the Santa Cruz and promised to play that old friend soon.

mm stan
03-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Aloha Frankie,
You know even with the Fat Neck....I did over look it because the K5 was so sweet sounding....I am sure it will not bother you too... What Smiley sold you a Santa Cruz too?? wow

Ronnie Aloha
03-04-2012, 05:30 PM
I hate to say it but I played that uke right after eating a Double Double at the In-n-Out booth at NAMM. Did you wipe off my grease?? : )

It was just as beautiful as I remember it. It wasn't even on display when I went to the booth, they had it under the counter in a case and pulled it out for me when I asked about it.

Plainsong
03-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes, warmth into bright clear highs sounds like how I'd describe my superconcert. I only wish it had a satin neck, some maple bling, a slotted headstock... Congrats on the new uke!

Smiley
03-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Aloha Frankie,
You know even with the Fat Neck....I did over look it because the K5 was so sweet sounding....I am sure it will not bother you too... What Smiley sold you a Santa Cruz too?? wow

No Santa Cruz from me. I was just impressed with the video Suzuki did of the Santa Cruz... Sorry for the confusion Stan. Now back to the Kanilea.

experimentjon
03-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Fantastic new ukulele! I'm quite jealous!

nscafe
03-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Did you ever take that poor old Martin out of its box?

SuzukHammer
03-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Did you ever take that poor old Martin out of its box?

No, I just got back from work; so its change the clothes, grab some greasy burgers so I can properly evenly stain the uke after Ronny Aloha got done with it, then practice doing a presentation for work. Maybe I'll lay down a blues progression and practice my presentaiton over that so I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

I may not be able to unwrap the 3M until my weekend in a few days.

I want to get a sound sample up. A sound sample comparison. I think the AG will shine mainly because its a tenor in comparison to mainly concerts. but I'm itching to do some comparison clip just for fun.

mm stan
03-05-2012, 03:02 AM
Aloha Frankie,
WHAT you never open the Martin 3M yet....man you only get only two hands eh... send it to me and I'll break it in for you....I promise I'll return it...promise... didn't you say you on
the Devine list too?? wow what gives, Holy moly!!!! Geez

1931jim
03-05-2012, 03:08 AM
I'd love to be on the DeVine list. Surely I could make money with my snow shovel somewhere in Hawaii. HaHa!!

SuzukHammer
03-05-2012, 04:32 AM
The Devine just might be the only uke to give the Aldrine a run for its money.

I had to get on the Devine list because I kept having nightmares that I wasn't on the Devine list. You think I'm joking; but, everytime Eric posted Devine uke pictures, it about drove me crazy.

Stevelele
03-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Do you like the Aldrine uke better than your Santa Cruz and better than your Collings? That would be saying a whole heck of a lot

The Devine just might be the only uke to give the Aldrine a run for its money.

I had to get on the Devine list because I kept having nightmares that I wasn't on the Devine list. You think I'm joking; but, everytime Eric posted Devine uke pictures, it about drove me crazy.

SuzukHammer
03-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Do you like the Aldrine uke better than your Santa Cruz and better than your Collings? That would be saying a whole heck of a lot

I am only speculating that at this point. I have enjoyed this new instrument and I still feel like I'm exploring it.

PoiDog
03-05-2012, 05:02 AM
If that was sitting in my house, I don't think I'd be eating for a few days!!!

More like: If that was sitting in my house, I don't think I'd be able to afford to eat for a few days.

Congrats on the new additions -- all of them.

Mandarb
03-05-2012, 05:20 AM
Here is a picture of the rosette that lots of people posted about saying they hated the rosette. I would have to honestly say if you actually had this uke in your hands, you would not hate the rosette.

I dig the rosette. I think its real purdy. I do. I hope this photo does it justice because if it doesn't, I'll post some more.

A lot of people posted that they hate the rosette - really? I missed that. I think the rosette is beautiful along with the rest of the uke. Enjoy!

SuzukHammer
03-05-2012, 05:28 AM
I forgot to mention the smell of this thing. It smells good. the only other uke that smelled as good as this is the Howlett uklectic. I have no idea why it smells this good. It was the first sensation once I opened the case.

I haven't heard from anybody saying that the rosette is atrocious like in a previous thread. Please do let me know if I need more pics of the rosette. i promise you this: It is beautiful on the uke. It doesn't in the least bit take away from the dignity of the wood. I like it and it keeps growing on me. I think everybody is entitled their opinion. I'd just like to help those to see why this rosette is complimentary to the uke. Its bold yes but it doesn't clash in my opinion.

My last interval of playing was much more fun than the first 2 days. My hands don't work as fast as they do concerts; but, I am slowly adapting and just am having fun with varying the tempo on some of my better known progressions. This uke is fun. There is no such thing as work when I play the uke. I can build volume (crescendo) and drop it easily while maintaining a rich sound, a light rich sound. It feels like there are more roads to choose on known songs and progressions because you can choose to go bright, you can keep it rich, you can boom/Kapow!! a change of pace that is just more tingly on the senses. I can't do that with many ukes. Alot of ukes have more limitations.

If this uke is expected to open up, then all I can say is I want to be there for all of that.

Give me a few more days so I can get a decent sound sample together.

Unfortunately I have a job that requires too much focus during the week.

SuzukHammer
03-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Which reminds me - I still have tested the pickup.

Next week I guess for that.

Gadzukes!
03-05-2012, 05:46 AM
I don't mind the rosette at all, but I'm not a fan of the AG sketch on the fretboard. I suppose that's what makes it a "signature" model. Of course, I'd happily trade in all my ukes for it, sketch or no. :)

Congratulations!

haole
03-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Looks fantastic! I'd be all over that if I had the cash, especially since Aldrine has been one of my biggest musical influences ever. Only thing I'd change is the headstock because I don't like right angles. Having played the original, I can say that the maple rosette looks fantastic in person, and the neck is super comfortable!

molokinirum
03-05-2012, 07:36 AM
All I can say is....SWEET!!!!!!!
Oh yes and ...congratulations!!!!!!! :smileybounce:

Stevelele
03-11-2012, 12:48 PM
any updates Frank? Now that you've had it for a bit, how does this stack up for you? And what about the pickup?

SuzukHammer
03-11-2012, 02:34 PM
any updates Frank? Now that you've had it for a bit, how does this stack up for you? And what about the pickup?

I tried to put a sound sample from my computer and it sounded like trash so I'm gonna make a video of a sound sample(s) from my camera and upload it. My workweek is Saturday to Wednesday so I'm thinking I can get something done by Thursday.

My impression was that I thought I would say that the Kanilea AG was best; however, I got playing the Collings and was blown away; so something tells me that they all are great and I'm lucky to have such a varied collection of different sounding ukes.

I still need to get the uke plugged into an amp and that might be a great comparison too.

Work has been so busy that I haven't unboxed the Martin 3M. THe Collings (the one from Eugene Ukulele) is what I've been playing for whenever I get free time. I'd have more free time if I didn't exercise/walk or sleep; but, those are on high priority.

kamaka_4_life
03-12-2012, 07:19 AM
Wow, it looks stunning, congrats on the new uke ;)

uke4life
03-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Congrats!! That is a beautiful uke!!!

gyosh
03-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Is the Kanile'a logo inlaid with sand too? I just saw Joe Souza's personal 8-string and the logo is in sand. The "Kanilea" along the fretboard was abalone inlaid in maple and then inlaid in the fretboard. Really beautiful, but I couldn't get a clear pic with my phone.

kapahulu50
03-18-2012, 07:42 PM
I have a Kanile'a tenor with an ebony fretboard and faceplate, and it has the sand logo and fret markers (front and side). It's a beautiful touch, and looks great- in the sunlight you get some sparkling of the grains.

SuzukHammer
03-19-2012, 03:48 AM
Is the Kanile'a logo inlaid with sand too? I just saw Joe Souza's personal 8-string and the logo is in sand. The "Kanilea" along the fretboard was abalone inlaid in maple and then inlaid in the fretboard. Really beautiful, but I couldn't get a clear pic with my phone.

Good question. I think I'll have to read the specs. I'm hoping to get some time off from work. I am packed with work obligations until Wednesday night.

Tomahawk
04-18-2012, 05:20 AM
I'm sooo jealous! Can't wait to get mine..it's like a month or 2 away! I want it NOW !! Lol congrats

kirbo
04-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Dang, that looks so sweet! I'm so jealous!

SuzukHammer
04-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Its sad that work has engulfed so much of my time. I was given the area that has daily issues and the most attention from management. so.... my uke playing is limited.

I miss my babies and I am jonesing to bring AG out and play it.

Thanks for the reminder.

bobmyers
06-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Hi Frank,
Remember me, how is your King Tenor next to the Kanilea AG?
Bob Myers

SuzukHammer
06-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Its in my humidifier. My work and my family time has taken over as priority.

If my wife returns back home, I can pick up all the ukes and sample them. RIght now, they are in a temperature controlled humidified room.