Makala MK-C v. Lanikai LU-21c?

miki7

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a beginner looking to purchase a uke, just looking for some opinions. I've searched the forum and youtube and can't find nearly as much info on the Makala MK-C as I'd like. Does anyone have anything to say in favor of this uke?

My two options are a Lanikai LU-21c and a Makala MK-C. The Lanikai would come straight out of the box without any set up, but the Makala would have proper set up and a set of Aquila strings put on it. (The Makala would come from HMS.)

Just wondering what some more experienced players thoughts are and if anyone has anything good to say for one v. the other. And regarding set up as well, as I've read that it's important especially with cheaper ukes.

Thanks for the help!

I bought a Lanikai LU-21C from a local shop and then spent $50 having it setup properly and it plays like a dream. I also have an Ohana CK-35L which cost 3 times as much but I actually prefer the Lanikai for its playability.

I do like the sound of the Lanikai but the problem is I can't find anyone local who would be able to set it up for me.

Since you're asking opinions, no contest. I've owned two Makalas and played dozens of Lanikais and would prefer the Lanikai by FAR. And they usually are very well set up from the start.

Last edited:
I have both, my makala is being used by my friend at the moment. Of the two, in my opinion, even when the makala is set up, the Lanikai is the superior instrument. The lanikai comes with Aquila strings on it already too by the way. I still love my little lanikai!! Good luck with your decision and enjoy!

The quote below refers to Tenors, but probably applies to Concerts as well. Even if you do find someone locally to perform a uke setup, you'll need to budget $20-30, which will probably put the cost of the Lanikai very near to an Islander from HMS.

I know this is just one person's opinion, but here's what MGM Mike has to say about beginner-level laminate ukes:

You know I sell islanders from our store in Haleiwa and the reason they are so popular is that we have so many choices many times the customer is confused what to get in a price bracket. When I have told them to turn away and not look at the brand and just use their ears to pick the uke.....say a islander mt 4, a kala ka t and a lanikai Lu 21t they almost 100 % of the time choose the islander.​

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?60813-First-Uke-Hunting&p=878100#post878100

If you are looking for a Lanikai, contact Mim. She'll set it up for you, saving the hassle and possible problems if it isn't done right.

That's a no-brainer - a laminated Kala properly set up vs. the Lanikai LU-21 not set up - go with the Kala. Not bashing the LU-21C by any means - one of those was my first uke and I've purchased LU11 sopranos for most of my grandkids. But, I can do setups myself and every one of them needed one (except the one I bought from MGM, of course).

No uke in that price range is going to be a super-duper, last uke you'll ever want, purchase; but either of them setup properly is fine for beginner - the key being the setup!

John

That's a no-brainer - a laminated Kala properly set up vs. the Lanikai LU-21 not set up - go with the Kala. Not bashing the LU-21C by any means - one of those was my first uke and I've purchased LU11 sopranos for most of my grandkids. But, I can do setups myself and every one of them needed one (except the one I bought from MGM, of course).

No uke in that price range is going to be a super-duper, last uke you'll ever want, purchase; but either of them setup properly is fine for beginner - the key being the setup!

John

The Makalas I've owned were no Kalas. The ones I've had you could have the Almighty hisself set them up and they're still not going to be Kalas.

Last edited:
$ for $....Makala set up with aquila strings is the way to go for a first uke. BUT...if you want to spend extra money for a little bling, glossy and more eye appeal (but with not too much difference in sound) then go with Lanikai.

Top Bottom