PDA

View Full Version : Ludwig Wendell Hall Banjo Uke for sale

Jnobianchi
03-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Gang -

If you're interested in a vintage, top-of-the-line banjo ukulele from the golden age of banjo ukes - 20's to 30's - I'm selling one at auction on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ludwig-Wendell-Hall-Banjo-Ukulele-Excellent-Tone-/320860063674?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab4c007ba#ht_720wt_1157

There are lots of pictures there, but if you want to hear and see it on video, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KUhmn9LXXU&list=UU9G2RL7Tg4mpdxIF0GRcSsA&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Paul December
03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
:confused: What tuning are you using on it?

Jnobianchi
03-05-2012, 06:54 AM
This is in D tuning. I keep my banjo ukes tuned in D, Eb, and F. C just sounds so slack to me on Banjo Ukes, even the new ones sound better in D or Eb.

kelly01
03-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I am interested, Is this still available?

cletus
03-05-2012, 10:15 AM
I am interested, Is this still available?

Click on the ebay link and check it out.:drool:

Jnobianchi
03-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Click on the ebay link and check it out.:drool:

Yes - please do! It's my favorite uke, but I have two, and we need a dishwasher, so.....

;)

TCK
03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Oh man- right after I finally ordered my Mya Moe...
This is the holy grail folks.
GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO

southcoastukes
03-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Gang -

... if you want to hear and see it on video, here you go...

I had a few banjo ukes "back in the day", and always wondered about the Wendell Halls and why they were worth so much more than the run of the mill vintage piece. Of course you could tell it was a bit of a different animal just from the looks, but I never got to play one and find out.

Listening to this, I can see why so many people value it so highly. Wish I had time to play these days.

Bet you end up sending it to England, John.

Good luck (and glad to hear you have another).

Jnobianchi
03-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Thanks, Dave and Dirk! Yes - there's no wooden pot - the flange IS the pot and then it rolls over at the top, so the whole thing is like one big tone ring.

And yes - I've had loads of interest from the UK. Shipping there is about $70, but even with shipping and customs, it will still be cheaper than one you'd buy over there.

johnnyfoodstamp
03-06-2012, 05:07 AM
I can't believe this.... Don't think I'll ever have a proper uke.... Do you take food stamps? lol

Jnobianchi
03-06-2012, 05:23 AM
I can't believe this.... Don't think I'll ever have a proper uke.... Do you take food stamps? lol

:D The supermarket where I shop does, so if you can come up with enough stamps, you're on. :)

johnnyfoodstamp
03-06-2012, 05:31 AM
:D The supermarket where I shop does, so if you can come up with enough stamps, you're on. :)

I'll just go down to the welfare office and see if I can get a 6 month advance... :)

Jnobianchi
03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Well -

I took the auction down, cause I could see this not making reserve. I've got vintage Elton tuners coming in the mail from a friend and I'm going to replace the Klusons. I'm going to do an application of finish restorer and get rid of the hazing, and then I'm putting it back up. More work, but so much better for whoever buys it not to have to have that work done.

J

inamimal
12-12-2012, 04:56 AM
I saw the reserve was not met on this ebay auction. Any chance you still have it for sale?

Shelby
01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
I don't mean to intrude on Jnobianchi's thread or the sale of his banjo uke. I have a Ludwig Wendall Hall banjo uke that was my dad's, may he RIP. It's been sitting in it's original case for 65+ years. I just took it in to be restrung because it only had one original string on it. The guitar tech at the music store said it was in excellent shape and I knew it was from my research. I will be looking to sell it when I get it back. Someone who would appreciate this instrument should own it. Unfortunately no one in my family is musically inclined.

RichM
01-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Sent you a PM :)

lakesideglenn
01-29-2013, 01:33 AM
Missing your Maybell already, Rich? Just got a new Grover bridge for it...sweet!

barefootgypsy
01-29-2013, 02:37 AM
I can't believe this.... Don't think I'll ever have a proper uke.... Do you take food stamps? lolHa ha, I've seen you with a Gibson.........:D

barefootgypsy
01-29-2013, 02:39 AM
I don't mean to intrude on Jnobianchi's thread or the sale of his banjo uke. I have a Ludwig Wendall Hall banjo uke that was my dad's, may he RIP. It's been sitting in it's original case for 65+ years. I just took it in to be restrung because it only had one original string on it. The guitar tech at the music store said it was in excellent shape and I knew it was from my research. I will be looking to sell it when I get it back. Someone who would appreciate this instrument should own it. Unfortunately no one in my family is musically inclined.Where are you?

Jnobianchi
01-31-2013, 10:03 AM
Folks - I sold this instrument with the "new" old tuners installed and a restored finish to friend in the UK about 11 months ago - so just to let you know, it is long gone. :)