New Uke Day! Mainland Concert Banjolele

mattydee

Reaction score
It's only new to me, but it's my first banjo uke, and I practically stole it off the FMM boards last week. Mahogany, concert scale, with geared tuners with amber buttons. Beautiful!

Sorry for the blurry pix -- but you get the idea.

It has pretty crappy strings right now, including a wound C, which I'm not too sure about. I have a set of Martin 600s here, and a set of low G Aquilas, but I'm not sure either will work particularly well. Looks like the consensus around these parts is Aquila -- some prefer the ones made especially for Banjolele. Does that still hold true?

Photo on 3-5-12 at 4.09 PM.jpgPhoto on 3-5-12 at 4.08 PM.jpg

Congratulations on your 'new' Mainland Mahogany Concert Banjo Uke!!! I am sure you will love playing it! It is such a chirpy sound & so easy to play!! Sounds like you got it for a good price too!! What is an FMM board??

I have standard Aquilas on mine - I haevn't tried any others yet - I was thinking of putting a low G on, but decided against it after playing a standard uke & not really liking it that much!

Members like Jnobianchi would be able to answer your queries re strings etc (and others, I am sure!)

Well done on your purchase - you won't be disappointed, I am sure!

Roberta

Congrats! When you have time, I'd love to see better photos. I'm thinking about a banjolele, too!

Congratulations on your 'new' Mainland Mahogany Concert Banjo Uke!!! I am sure you will love playing it! It is such a chirpy sound & so easy to play!! Sounds like you got it for a good price too!! What is an FMM board??

I have standard Aquilas on mine - I haevn't tried any others yet - I was thinking of putting a low G on, but decided against it after playing a standard uke & not really liking it that much!

Members like Jnobianchi would be able to answer your queries re strings etc (and others, I am sure!)

Well done on your purchase - you won't be disappointed, I am sure!

Roberta

FMM is the Flea Market Music bulletin board. They have a pretty thriving marketplace over there. I did get a great price- $100 shipped!

I just put Aquilas on it and it already made a huge difference in the sound. I'll have to get used to the feel of fretting it, which is definitely a little different from my other ukes - it takes a bit more pressure.

Now to figure out which songs sound best on it!

WOW! That WAS a bargain! Well done! If I'd spotted it I would have offered him $100 just to ship it to Aussie!! Must look there more often!!

The Aquilas make it sound MUCH chirpier - even tho they are a bit 'hard' on your fingers. With the action a bit higher than regular ukes, you notice it more too.

I noticed that when I changed the bridge on a friend's Maple Mainland that the fretting was MUCH easier!! So, You COULD get the action checked out and lowered a bit - I have arthritis in my hands & find it virtually impossible to fret mine. You could just rub the base of the bridge & the nut over some sand paper (the nut is not glued.) Just don't go too far or you get buzzing. Or find a luthier/uke shop who will do it for you for about $30. If you do a lot of fretting, it would be worth it! Matter of fact, I will give it a go on mine too! :)

cheers

Roberta

All the 'oldies but goodies' sound great - Aint she sweet, Long way to Tipperary, Five Foot Two - even Bottle of Wine, Pack up your Troubles in your old kit bag, Sloop John B, Under the Boardwalk ...... I have a good little songbook that I put together for my Uke Group over here - if you shoot me your email, I can email it to you if you like? :)

They are all well known songs & 'easier' more than difficult.

Last edited:
Top Bottom