PDA

View Full Version : The Futulele

Corvidphile
03-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Saw this post on boingboing (http://boingboing.net/2012/03/05/ios-ukulele-app-the-futulele.html).

FUTULELE is an upcoming Ukulele synthesizer for iOS. Although it can work on a single iPad, similar to our well-known guitar synth OMGuitar (http://amidio.com/omguitar), Futulele really shines with a special guitar-shaped case that holds both an iPad and an iPhone, which are connected to each other via Bluetooth. iPhone is used to define the chords and iPad is used for strumming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPRhBtO4IA&feature=youtu.be

I'm.....stunned.

Paul December
03-05-2012, 11:55 AM
A solution to a problem that doesn't exist! :p

-or-

It's just like a real ukulele...
...only bigger, more expensive, heavier, and worse sound! :eek:

-or-

For the man who has everything! (other than an actual ukulele of course ;) )

OldePhart
03-05-2012, 12:10 PM
:boggle:

Personally, I'm a tech geek but at any given moment, including at work, I'd be more likely to be found with a uke in my hands than an iPad!

So...like...invent a uke that I can use to surf the web and check e-mail and we'll talk... LOL

John

UKEonomics
03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Weird. I saw this somewhere else today and immediately thought that it was just pointless.

stevepetergal
03-05-2012, 01:23 PM
And all this time, I've been trying to figure out how to text with my Koaloha.

cayucos ukulele
03-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Awesome, Great voice and a pretty face! I see the future now... I'm gonna mill all that koa I have into chopsticks and forget about the uke market; too tough with you guys anyway. Chopsticks will be sold by the pair until the stock is gone.

AndrewKuker
03-05-2012, 02:07 PM
I actually like it since i always go around with my ipad (not always have a uke) it would be cool when i tell someone i sell ukuleles and break this out as a demo lol,,,,now how much are they?

Doc_J
03-05-2012, 02:08 PM
It's just like a real ukulele...
...only bigger, more expensive, heavier, and worse sound! :eek:...

Now that made me laugh.

ksiegel
03-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow!

Yet ANOTHER reason not to get an iPad or an iPhone!

Up until now, it was just because I didn't like the product - now I can hate the app, too!

-Kurt

grandpoobah
03-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Too funny! I have lots of music and ukulele related apps.. But I'm gunna pass on the one. I might actually bite if you didn't need a wacky case to support it. The idea that you can noodle around at say.. the waiting room at the dentist has an appeal, but not if you have to plan ahead and bring a special case.

mm stan
03-05-2012, 04:15 PM
With all that money spent...I rather buy a Kamaka ...ha ha get a real uke..:)

'ili puakea
03-05-2012, 04:25 PM
It looks cleaver, but a big flaw for me is the short scale. Can't reach those alternate chords and high notes. Probably wouldn't work too well for finger picking.

lizziep
03-05-2012, 05:26 PM
And all this time, I've been trying to figure out how to text with my Koaloha.

very funny!

Plainsong
03-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Well at least they sampled a high quality uke, right? Jeez, this is why the app store needs heavier moderation.

Skitzic
03-06-2012, 04:24 AM
:boggle:

Personally, I'm a tech geek but at any given moment, including at work, I'd be more likely to be found with a uke in my hands than an iPad!

So...like...invent a uke that I can use to surf the web and check e-mail and we'll talk... LOL

John

This. Exactly this.

Maybe we can figure out a way to mount a smart phone to the back of the headstock?

Hm...wheels are turning...

bigchiz
03-06-2012, 04:29 AM
Here's a link a friend sent that I want to share about a product which uses the iPad along with an iPhone to make a virtual ukulele.

This is a double whammy for those of us who like tech gadgets and ukuleles!

http://mashable.com/2012/03/06/futulele/

Plainsong
03-06-2012, 06:17 AM
Uhh, isn't that the same thing we're already talking about?

OldePhart
03-06-2012, 06:17 AM
Uhh, isn't that the same thing we're already talking about?

The previous post was another thread that got moved into this one.

chris667
03-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Is it me, or did the rather lovely woman not form the chords properly? I noticed only one light came on at a time on the screen.

Whatever, Futilelele will be a better name. Any of my ukes will still be being played long after those Ithings are landfill.

1931jim
03-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Personally I'd rather have a real DeVine baritone and go back to writing letters and licking stamps and walking to the post office to mail the letter and get some exercise and meet a few real bodies and and and

grandpoobah
03-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Is it me, or did the rather lovely woman not form the chords properly? I noticed only one light came on at a time on the screen.

Whatever, Futilelele will be a better name. Any of my ukes will still be being played long after those Ithings are landfill.

Those ain't chords. Sadly its just a grid of buttons with Chords programmed into them, sorta like the Chordmaster on the old TV pals. With that in mind, there is no reason they need to make use of an iphone. You can just put the buttons on the edge of the iPad screen since you don't actually have to work a fretboard. The iPhone connection is just a gimmick to make it look like a uke.

MGM
03-06-2012, 07:30 AM
well the guitar app is 6.99 si if the new uke app is near that and the case to hold not too much I still would get one...

ukulefty
03-06-2012, 07:34 AM

I believe it's because you don't actually form/finger chords. I think you just program the spaces on the iPhone's screen to be twelve different chords then remember which box you assigned to each chord. So it's not really playing chords as such...

From website: "use up to 12 chords for each song, and change chord sets on the fly"

EDIT: Grandpoobah beat me to it, lol

vanflynn
03-06-2012, 07:46 AM
what sort of virtual strings come with that?

ichadwick
03-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Short for Futile Ukulele?

OldePhart
03-06-2012, 11:49 AM
I noticed the same thing. Where she was pressing didn't make sense with the chords that were sounding, either.

Hah, hah - "futilele was my first thought, too!

OldePhart
03-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Short for Futile Ukulele?

Looks as if several of us are of a like mind in that regard...

OldePhart
03-06-2012, 11:52 AM
well the guitar app is 6.99 si if the new uke app is near that and the case to hold not too much I still would get one...

But, Mike, how are you going to play those sweet harmonics? :)

OldePhart
03-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Heh, I just remembered, on one of Gioconbrio's vids somebody is playing an iPad with a bells app on it. Probably the most expensive bells in the world but it was funny.

John

chloechords
03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't quite know what to make of this... :P

MGM
03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I would'nt get it for actual playing but so many times when i am out about town I get to talking to people and tell them to visit the store but i think it would be a hoot to open my ipad and give a short albeit limited sample. I am sure i could get a laugh...

Gwynedd
03-06-2012, 02:21 PM
And here I'm thinking I'm OUT THERE for putting an amp on an electric uke. If you said "electric uke" to me when I was a kid, I would have wet myself laughing. But you know it's cool as hell. But this? nope. I'm not into it.

bigchiz
03-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Oh, so you press a key with the left hand and strum with the right. It's more like virtual autoharp.

And yes, I started a new thread without seeing the topic already existed. Thanks to the moderator for merging in my previous post.

Braden
03-13-2012, 05:05 PM
To paraphrase Patton Oswalt, this is clearly a case of 'coulda' without any thought put into 'shoulda'

caroljean
03-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Wow! Looks cool, I guess, if you already have these devices, which I do. It'd be fun to play around with for a minute. But they have an app to simulate popping bubble wrap, and it is the opposite of satisfying. Part of why I love playing the ukulele is for the sensory experience of it, the smell of the wood, the stings pressing into my calloused fingertips, the physicality of strumming, the way it makes you feel the rhythm, the weight and shape of the uke in my arms. I just could never hold these things in their funky case, brush my hand back and forth over a smooth screen, and feel like I was making music.