Makala Dolphins

peedee

Reaction score
Do all Dolphins have a plastic back? If not, is there a way to tell about the eBay ones?

I'm looking for a couple of cheap, sturdy, playable ukes for my son and I to take backpacking. (I have a Flea and a Fluke, but I'm not willing to risk taking them. In my book, they're not cheap!)

Thanks!

PD

I can't say for sure but I would think they are all the same. I gave one to my Granddaughter about a year ago and she brought it over to my house this weekend. I had forgotten what a good uke it is. Sounds great for the money , I'd get one for myself but the dolphin bridge is too cute for my taste. Maybe I could make it look like a shark , hmmmm.

the originals were wood, the last few years have been plastic back & sides.

Two years or so ago they went with the plastic back ones. Anything new should be the plastic back one. As far as a back packing uke...I use a mainland concert I got a few years ago. It was cracked so I just use it since i'm not worried about damaging it. I've taken it out in 30 degree weather as well as thunder storm hikes. I don't own a flea our fluke but those are apparently indestructible.

i take my fluke and my dolphin camping and hiking, they are both good for this kinda thing, one thing i will add though is if you do take the fluke/flea be careful with the soundboard they are pine and dent very easily, on saying that my fluke has never got so much as a scratch whilst hiking or camping, it has a number of dents from mobile phones and tuners done in the comfort of my own bedroom, if you broke the dolphin it would'nt be the end of the world coz of their price

I just ordered a Dolphin to take on a trip to Croatia. My Flea has a custom paint job I would feel horrible if something happened to it. The Dolphin seems like a good travel option - low price, good sound.
--G

You always can ask...they may have old inventory....especially for the non popular colors...he he
Your best bet is to try amazon and their vendors..

Last edited:
I have a few Dolphins and love them. So, they're cheap and plastic, but intonation issues aside, they're fun to play and ring like a bell. Plus they're cute! I bought an Eddie Finn Minnow at a local music store last weekend, and it's not nearly as good as my Dolphins.

We have six of them at our house, one for each of the grand kids, and they were so much fun I needed one too! Five are the plastic body and one of the older wood body and they all play nicely, certainly there are better sounding ukes but not for the price! I think you'd be hard pressed to find a wood one now, the one wood that we have is one of the first two I bought about 3-4 years ago, all I've bought in the last couple of years have been plastic.

Top Bottom