Odd Sustain Issue

Paul December

Reaction score
I have Aquila Low G strings on my tenor. The wound G string lacks sustain when played open...
...but is fine when fretted. I've tried changing the string and there wasn't any improvement. The nut isn't loose either.
Any ideas?

I am having the same problem with mine, same strings and everything. I think the solution is to get rid of the wound G. I HATE it!

I would seen to me it has something to do with the nut. How well is it seated in the slot?

Sounds like a good reason to try some SouthCoast strings!

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/linuke.htm

I like the unwound worths you put on the Lutekulele but I think that the SouthCoast would be even better; they are somewhat brighter. The only reason I haven't changed them is that I'm somewhat daunted by changing strings on a new, and somewhat unusual instrument.

Sounds like a good reason to try some SouthCoast strings!

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/linuke.htm

I like the unwound worths you put on the Lutekulele but I think that the SouthCoast would be even better; they are somewhat brighter. The only reason I haven't changed them is that I'm somewhat daunted by changing strings on a new, and somewhat unusual instrument.

I have SouthCoasts on another uke and like them a lot, but prefer Aquillas on this one.

I have Aquila Low G strings on my tenor. The wound G string lacks sustain when played open...
...but is fine when fretted. I've tried changing the string and there wasn't any improvement. The nut isn't loose either.
Any ideas?
Try Dropping your uke a half step or full...lower tension will help the substain.. lower tension strings is another approach...

Try Dropping your uke a half step or full...lower tension will help the substain.. lower tension strings is another approach...

I'll try, but...
...I'm trying to figure out what is causing this, especially since it is only when the string is played open. I have another uke with the same strings and the open G rings.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the string is too wide for the slot and is not sitting fully into the slot and is therefore not making contact at the fret side edge of the nut, but in the middle of the nut or even back to the tuner side of the nut. Very common problem when you go to a larger diameter string. The nut slots should be slightly rounded on the bottom and taper downwards from the "front" edge (nearest the frets) to the "back" edge (nearest the tuners). This ensures that the string breaks cleanly on the front edge of the nut. If it doesn't, intonation will suffer and, as you've discovered, sustain may be affected as well because the string "rubs" against the front edge of the nut but doesn't break cleanly over it.

John

I don't think this is really an "odd" issue at all. I'm sure John (OldePhart) is right. Almost can't be the string, if it sounds good when fretted. It has to be the the relationship between the string and the nut. The nut slot should never grip the string as you describe. Make that work and you won't need new strings. In fact, if you go to an unwound low G, you will probably make the same problem worse. The unwound are usually thicker than the wound strings.

Last edited:
I want to have a low G string on my next ukulele, but I don't like wound strings at all. What do you suggest?

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the string is too wide for the slot and is not sitting fully into the slot and is therefore not making contact at the fret side edge of the nut, but in the middle of the nut or even back to the tuner side of the nut. Very common problem when you go to a larger diameter string. The nut slots should be slightly rounded on the bottom and taper downwards from the "front" edge (nearest the frets) to the "back" edge (nearest the tuners). This ensures that the string breaks cleanly on the front edge of the nut. If it doesn't, intonation will suffer and, as you've discovered, sustain may be affected as well because the string "rubs" against the front edge of the nut but doesn't break cleanly over it.

John

This is exactly what I'm thinking, and why I asked how the string fits in the slot. I don't think it can be anything else since it only happens when the string is played open. The string should not be pinched in the slot else, as John writes, you will have several problems. Think of it this way: when you play a string open, the nut is the nut; when you depress the string in the first position, the first fret functions as the nut if that makes sense. Additionally, you know it's unlikely that it is the string that is the problem since you've changed it.

John

I'll add my two donuts to this too. It can't be the string itself, because if it were, the issue would persist when fretted.

I want to have a low G string on my next ukulele, but I don't like wound strings at all. What do you suggest?

MGM used to sell Fremont low G strings singly. Not sure if you can still get them. I bought a low G Worth clear from Elderly too.

I've gone back to wound again for the most part. They seem to be livelier than the fat flourocarbons.

John

:) You sir, were correct!

I widened & rounded the slot with a hacksaw blade and now my string resonates :cheers:

free-dunkin-donut.jpg

Love the donuts!

I'll have the chocolate one with the stripes. And I'll suggest in a nut file and gap spacer for next time- the hacksaw blade sounds risky!

I have a foolproof solution: stick with high G. lol

Listen, OT, but I think you P Dec and stevepetergal are both in Oak Park, IL, right? Do I remember that correctly? Do you both, or either, go to that uke jam in Oak Park... the one that was written up in, I think, the Trib not too long ago.

Top Bottom