Fluke Tenor vs. Kala KA-ASAC-T All Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

stringstrummer

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been playing since September last year and I have 3 sopranos, and would now like a different size uke.

I tried a concert, but didn’t think the size difference to a soprano makes it different enough at the moment.

So, I'm thinking of buying my first tenor and wonder what your opinions are please.

I am interested in 2 options as above.

I am interested in a Fluke because:

1) I like the look of them
2) They will stand on the floor next to where I sit and be at hand
3) I like the fact that they have a good sound projection
4) They are a take anywhere item that can manage a bit of a knock!

However…I have been recommended the Kala as being a top quality item with lovely sound.

I can't view or try either of these locally so would be buying by mail order based on reviews I have read/ seen.

If I buy a Lava Fluke there is a price difference of approx £89 with the Kala being the most expensive. (I did quite fancy a Cowboy, but don’t know if the décor justifies the extra £50.)

Any opinions or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks.

I would always pick quality of sound over any of the things you listed that draw you to the Fluke. You can get a stand and you can get a good case to protect the solid wood Kala. Use one of your sopranos as a a knock about uke and go for the Kala.

Fluke. Much better intonation.

i love my tenor fluke, its loud, its tough, it has great intonation, it looks mean and wherever you take it people ask questions, i can't comment on the Kala although i nearly bought one myself lovely looking uke fair play

I have a Koa tenor Fluke and I absolutely love it!

Action and intonation is perfect, it's durable and cool looking, has plenty of volume and sounds great! I also love the fact that it's made in America (rather than a factory somewhere in China with unknown working conditions) and the strong connection to Jim and Liz Beloff. I like to be happy about who I give my money to.

My current wish list includes a concert Flea and a Fire Fly (and possibly a Martin C1K).

Scooter

I love my Fluke - it is one of the best values around - they sound great and are sturdy.

Made the decision.

Hi all

Thanks for your comments.

I have finally made my mind up and have just ordered a Black Lava Tenor Fluke.

I figured the price of the cowboy wasn't justified as it was too close to the price of the Kala, and (I'm sure you'll like my thinking here....) I figure £50 saved now is £50 toward the Kala as my next purchase!

Hi all

Thanks for your comments.

I have finally made my mind up and have just ordered a Black Lava Tenor Fluke.

I figured the price of the cowboy wasn't justified as it was too close to the price of the Kala, and (I'm sure you'll like my thinking here....) I figure £50 saved now is £50 toward the Kala as my next purchase!
An excellent and wise choice Mr Strummer, you won't be disappointed, enjoy!!!!

Top Bottom