PDA

View Full Version : Uke Bass - Do I, Don't I?

ukudaily.co.uk
03-06-2012, 01:51 AM
I really want to buy one, purely on the basis (no pun intended) that they look amazing and sound great, I have seen a lot of The Sebi Next Door on it and it sounds wicked. I know the Southern Ukulele Store (about 30 minutes from here) sell them.

I am not great at picking and figure it would be picking rather than strumming (I am not and never have been that musical!).

But where would I find music for it to learn?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks!
Phil

chrimess
03-06-2012, 02:21 AM
Phil,
you should definitely give it a shot, there are plenty of excellent books on melbay.com for bass instruction.

I really want to buy one, purely on the basis (no pun intended) that they look amazing and sound great, I have seen a lot of The Sebi Next Door on it and it sounds wicked. I know the Southern Ukulele Store (about 30 minutes from here) sell them.

I am not great at picking and figure it would be picking rather than strumming (I am not and never have been that musical!).

But where would I find music for it to learn?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks!
Phil

ukudaily.co.uk
03-06-2012, 02:53 AM
Hi Christian,
Thank you, can you send me a link to any of the ukulele bass stuff please? I can only find normal ukulele stuff.
Many thanks,
Phil

kissing
03-06-2012, 04:05 AM
It's a bass. A small bass. So you can use a lot of bass materials on it, as they're tuned exactly the same and somewhat played similarly.
You have to treat it like a bass, not really a uke. You do not pick on it like you would pick on a uke.
It's fundamental is as a rhythm instrument, picking off single notes as chords.

Though honestly, I couldn't get myself a Ubass..
For fractions of the price, there are other short bass options available (eg: Ashbory bass, Samick Corsair, Fernandes Nomad bass)
You can get a really good regular bass too for that price.

I had enough money saved for one, but I opted to get a nice Fender acoustic bass guitar, and throw on some D'addario tapewound strings on it :cool:
For the same money it would've cost an Ubass, I get a solid-top instrument that actually makes some acoustic sound, and has a denser, deeper sound through the pickup also due to the longer scale length and the metal core strings, with built-in tuner and snazzy block inlays...

PhilUSAFRet
03-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Check out some of the cool cigar box basses on YouTube, from 1 string bass diddley bows to regular 4 and 5 string bass guitars, a few U Bass sized ones too.

coolkayaker1
03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVc407SSzQM

It sounds great here! does one of these guys own the uke store you refer to?

ukudaily.co.uk
03-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Yeah, Paul Tucker on the left. He's amazing on the uke. Yes it sounds brilliant in that video, oh how I now want one! They sound so good!