Uke Bass - Do I, Don't I?

ukudaily.co.uk

Reaction score
I really want to buy one, purely on the basis (no pun intended) that they look amazing and sound great, I have seen a lot of The Sebi Next Door on it and it sounds wicked. I know the Southern Ukulele Store (about 30 minutes from here) sell them.

I am not great at picking and figure it would be picking rather than strumming (I am not and never have been that musical!).

But where would I find music for it to learn?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks!
Phil

Phil,
you should definitely give it a shot, there are plenty of excellent books on melbay.com for bass instruction.

I really want to buy one, purely on the basis (no pun intended) that they look amazing and sound great, I have seen a lot of The Sebi Next Door on it and it sounds wicked. I know the Southern Ukulele Store (about 30 minutes from here) sell them.

I am not great at picking and figure it would be picking rather than strumming (I am not and never have been that musical!).

But where would I find music for it to learn?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks!
Phil

Hi Christian,
Thank you, can you send me a link to any of the ukulele bass stuff please? I can only find normal ukulele stuff.
Many thanks,
Phil

It's a bass. A small bass. So you can use a lot of bass materials on it, as they're tuned exactly the same and somewhat played similarly.
You have to treat it like a bass, not really a uke. You do not pick on it like you would pick on a uke.
It's fundamental is as a rhythm instrument, picking off single notes as chords.

Though honestly, I couldn't get myself a Ubass..
For fractions of the price, there are other short bass options available (eg: Ashbory bass, Samick Corsair, Fernandes Nomad bass)
You can get a really good regular bass too for that price.

I had enough money saved for one, but I opted to get a nice Fender acoustic bass guitar, and throw on some D'addario tapewound strings on it :cool:
For the same money it would've cost an Ubass, I get a solid-top instrument that actually makes some acoustic sound, and has a denser, deeper sound through the pickup also due to the longer scale length and the metal core strings, with built-in tuner and snazzy block inlays...

Last edited:
Check out some of the cool cigar box basses on YouTube, from 1 string bass diddley bows to regular 4 and 5 string bass guitars, a few U Bass sized ones too.

It sounds great here! does one of these guys own the uke store you refer to?

Yeah, Paul Tucker on the left. He's amazing on the uke. Yes it sounds brilliant in that video, oh how I now want one! They sound so good!

Top Bottom