Hundreds of Tabs - On My IPad!

grownupboy

Reaction score
hey all,

wondering what you guys might be using to organize your tabs on your ipad. by tabs i mean the typical lyrics/chords you would download from a site like chordie.com and not a proprietary tab format.

what's your favorite program for dealing with these things on yoru iPads?

thanks!

k

I use Dropbox and convert them all to PDF format. That allows me to pull them up on any device in the most compatible format.

There was Ukulele Tabs or Uketabs, but it was just good at crashing all the time and not working in landscape, so I deleted it. You might find it by searching ukulele in the app store. It was chords and not tabs though. Any app that gives chords to songs would work though. Piano, guitar, uke, are all key of C.

DevonThinkPro is a terrific database program that can hold and categorize all kinds of material (PDF, video, photos, text documents of all types). I have a separate database (organized by folders) for my uke TABS: Jazz, Pop, Classical, Uptempo, Rags, etc. Easy to find stuff. You can see documents instantly or open them in Preview (PDF viewer).
Originally I bought it for my research and scholarly needs, but it can be as extensive or simple as you like and for my uke stuff it works great.

Unreal book is great for organizing PDFs, you can Create set lists, song categories, and also link to audio files for practice/accompaniment. I also like that you can annotate the pages with your own notes (just like paper)! Auto flip is similar, and also has the feature that lets you teach it when to turn the page automatically. You play the song and turn the page, it records it and then in the future can turn the page when you get to that part of the song. It's more applicable for longer pieces with traditional notation rather than single page song sheets, but works great.

For chordie files use Song Book ChordPro (not the free one). If you import it into the app you can transpose and show chord diagrams.

Unreal book is great for organizing PDFs, you can Create set lists, song categories, and also link to audio files for practice/accompaniment. I also like that you can annotate the pages with your own notes (just like paper)! .

That's so cool..the fact that you can add your own notes...I've been wishing for something like that...I have quite a few songs on pdf but would like a better way to organize them and add my own notes...maybe I'll shell out the five bucks for unrealbooks...

My brother-in-law and others like OnSong...it has auto-scroll and some other features. It can also work with a foot switch for turning pages. I hope to get an iPad3 as soon as it becomes available so I can try these out for myself.

–Lori

P.S. The Daily Ukulele is available as a Kindle book now
http://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Fakeb...0962/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1331101539&sr=8-4, so the Kindle app for iPad would be handy for that.

Last edited:
That's so cool..the fact that you can add your own notes...I've been wishing for something like that...I have quite a few songs on pdf but would like a better way to organize them and add my own notes...maybe I'll shell out the five bucks for unrealbooks...

I have a number of apps that I've tried, unreal book is the one I use.

Can an iPad read PDF files? And can you copy them from a computer via USB or other port?

In that case, if I get one (and I hope to), then I can copy hundreds of my vintage uke PDF scans from my collection. I was thinking of an e-reader, but the iPad HD might be a better choice because of the larger screen. But then there are Android tablets to consider, too... sigh. Which do I want most? Another uke or a tablet? I better win a lottery...

Can an iPad read PDF files? And can you copy them from a computer via USB or other port?

In that case, if I get one (and I hope to), then I can copy hundreds of my vintage uke PDF scans from my collection. I was thinking of an e-reader, but the iPad HD might be a better choice because of the larger screen. But then there are Android tablets to consider, too... sigh. Which do I want most? Another uke or a tablet? I better win a lottery...

Yes, the iPad does great with PDFs. Actually, I also discovered by $79 Kindle also handles PDFs fine and I sometimes use that to read chords from. ;-)

Just plug your ipad into your computer, open itunes and drag and drop the PDFs from your computer to the ipad's reader (like the apple reader). The bigger ipad screen is nicer for these old eyes.

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I hadn't heard of a couple of these apps and will definitely check them out!

I think i'll look for something that can display / organize pdf's so i'm not limited to any one download source. Unreal Book looks amazing... Also found an app called Sheet Music Mobile that looks pretty cool.

Will let ya know how I make out once I've had a chance to use any of the apps.

G

The iPad does PDF's quite well. OnSong is great for music and syncs with Dropbox. No need to hook up the iPad to the pc.
For bigger books I use iBooks. I have all Ian's vintage songs on my iPad.

Just plug your ipad into your computer, open itunes and drag and drop the PDFs from your computer to the ipad's reader (like the apple reader). The bigger ipad screen is nicer for these old eyes.

Since I am too lazy to plug my Ipad in to my computer, I email PDF's to myself as an attachment. Open the email on the Ipad, open the attachment, and then click on the right top button that says "Open in IBooks". This puts it in IBooks. Unfortunately you can't make notes on the PDF, but this gets me through all my group jams just great and I can be that lazy person that I am.

Since I am too lazy to plug my Ipad in to my computer, I email PDF's to myself as an attachment. Open the email on the Ipad, open the attachment, and then click on the right top button that says "Open in IBooks". This puts it in IBooks. Unfortunately you can't make notes on the PDF, but this gets me through all my group jams just great and I can be that lazy person that I am.

GoodReader has DropBox integration and supports PDF annotations. After the initial cost and set up it allows you to be even lazier ;).

Top Bottom