Soprano vs. Concert - String Tension

With any brand of strings, the tension on the concert will be higher than on the soprano, if they're both tuned to the same pitch.

In my experience, fluorocarbon strings from Worth (CMs or BMs) and Martin (M600s) have less tension than Aquilas, all other factors equal.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking...

I've always found Aquila soprano strings to feel really soft and mushy. When I used Aquilas, I would put concerts on my soprano because I preferred the higher tension.

Oddly enough, I've switched to Martin M600s *because* they seem higher tension to me - interesting that Ingrate finds the opposite to be true. I've also heard others say that Aquila strings killed their fingers due to the high tension, but I've never found that to be the case.

I've always found Aquila soprano strings to feel really soft and mushy. When I used Aquilas, I would put concerts on my soprano because I preferred the higher tension.

Oddly enough, I've switched to Martin M600s *because* they seem higher tension to me - interesting that Ingrate finds the opposite to be true. I've also heard others say that Aquila strings killed their fingers due to the high tension, but I've never found that to be the case.

This is actually what I was hoping to find out. I too find Aquilas on sopranos a bit loose.
Some string brands (Freemont) list their strings as "Soprano/Concert" so they are the same strings for both scales...
...so obviously the tension would be higher on the Concert.
I do like Aquila's sound and feel and would like to stick with them. Aquilas sell specifically for Soprano and for Concert, so I'm wondering if the tension is similar on both by design.
I didn't think of putting Concert Aquilas on my Soprano. Did it work?

:agree: I like my Martin 600s on my solid ukes. When I put the on the KoAloha Concert Neck Soprano they seemed relatively tight, but now I really like their feel and playability.

This is actually what I was hoping to find out. I too find Aquilas on sopranos a bit loose.
Some string brands (Freemont) list their strings as "Soprano/Concert" so they are the same strings for both scales...
...so obviously the tension would be higher on the Concert.
I do like Aquila's sound and feel and would like to stick with them. Aquilas sell specifically for Soprano and for Concert, so I'm wondering if the tension is similar on both by design.
I didn't think of putting Concert Aquilas on my Soprano. Did it work?

Not as well as switching to Martins did :) But I thought the concert strings were a huge improvement over the soprano strings. There's definitely more tension, but not so much that it will damage the uke in any way.

Here's a sound sample of Aquila concert strings on a Kamaka standard soprano - I thought I had a similar sample with Aquila soprano strings but can't seem to find it.

Top Bottom