Plinking sounds

Arizonared

Reaction score
Ok, so I am trying to play some chords as per uncle rods chord progression boot camp. I have noticed that some of the chords just don't sound right. So I try to play the strings individually and some of them make a plinking sound.

What would your advice be to avoid this? I assume it is me not forming the chord correctly.

Wrist forward. Make sure fingers are not touching strings you don't intend them to touch, even very slightly. This will dampen the strings.

Of course you must apply enough pressure to fret strings, but not too much. Too soft and you'll get buzzing. Pressing too hard will cause you to change the pitch of the individual notes. So, don't squeeze until your thumb or wrist hurts.

And, this is important, be sure you're not fretting up against the fret so tightly that you're actually dampening the string on top of the fret. This will deaden the string and give you a thudding or plinking sound. Fretting should be done just behind the fret in the space between. This requires practice, but is essential.

Interesting replies.

I'll add that it's harder to avoid buzzes and plinks with my new tenor than my old concert or standard. Smaller the uke, less string tension, easier to chord without plinks, I'm finding.

Last edited:
I get a lot more plinks and buzzes on my tenor than the concert. The frets are farther apart and some of the reaches are difficult for me. And they aren't even really big stretches -- I just have small girly fingers. :(

Wrist forward. Make sure fingers are not touching strings you don't intend them to touch, even very slightly. This will dampen the strings.

Of course you must apply enough pressure to fret strings, but not too much. Too soft and you'll get buzzing. Pressing too hard will cause you to change the pitch of the individual notes. So, don't squeeze until your thumb or wrist hurts.

And, this is important, be sure you're not fretting up against the fret so tightly that you're actually dampening the string on top of the fret. This will deaden the string and give you a thudding or plinking sound. Fretting should be done just behind the fret in the space between. This requires practice, but is essential.

This is what it is for me every time. Move the wrist forward and my uke makes happy sounds.

This is what it is for me every time. Move the wrist forward and my uke makes happy sounds.

What does it mean to move the wrist forward? Away from the head? Why does that help? so that the fingers are more perpendicular to the Uke?

Thanks!

What does it mean to move the wrist forward? Away from the head? Why does that help? so that the fingers are more perpendicular to the Uke?

Thanks!

I was going to ask the same question. Thanks for all the replies so far.

I guess what he means is that you move the wrist (forward) away from your body. Your fingers should be able to move easier this way. It's easier said than done obviously :)

I still have the same problem :(

Thanks!

It means adduct your hand toward the arm, inward.

Thanks!

Some people say "wrist down". What I mean is the best way to get at frets accurately, is to move your wrist away from your body. In doing this, the fingers are sort of pointing towards you and the ukulele, rather than so much at the ceiling. Ideally, you want to fret with the tips of the fingers, not so much the flat part. If you ever watch yourukesage.com on his youtube chanel, he says he puts a dot on the tip of each of his new students' fretting fingers with a fine Sharpie, and encourages them to always try to fret with this point. If your wrist is back behind the neck, this becomes undo-able.

It's not possible to do this all the time, because of the way your hand and fingers are required to adjust position for chords and fingering, but it is an important concept to understand and practice.

I was going to ask the same question. Thanks for all the replies so far.
Yes you've got it - try to get your fingers at right angles to the fretboard. With some chords that's particularly important, or you won't get clearance between your fingers and the board. :)

Top Bottom