PDA

View Full Version : Concert, baritone or tenor?

chloechords
03-07-2012, 02:50 AM
I've been playing my little sopranos for about a year now, and wanted to upgrade to a concert uke (I have already asked you guys what concert ukes you suggest for around 100) But I never even considered getting a tenor or baritone (I actually don't really know the difference :/ :P) so I just wanted to get some info on each of them and what I should upgrade to. Thanks guys :) Any insite will be very much appreciated!!!

1931jim
03-07-2012, 03:10 AM
Baritone is usually tuned DGBE the same as the top four on a guitar. Check out youtube for Kimo Hussey with DeVine instruments. If you have been playing soprano for a year then you will just have to do the youtube for exposure. Perhaps your local music store might have a few choices.

DaveVisi
03-07-2012, 04:32 AM
Being a guitar player for most of my life, I started with tenors, thinking I would enjoy the extra fingerboard space. That is, until I ran into some pieces I really liked that I simply couldn't play because I couldn't make the stretch to the higher frets. That's when I dusted off my little used soprano and learned I really enjoyed playing again! I have a concert size on it's way to me now so I can take advantage of more than just 12 frets, and I think I'll fall in love all over again.

Bottom line, there is a difference in feel and playability between all the sizes. Some songs just don't "fit" well on some instruments.
If you're a soprano player now, I wouldn't jump all the way to a baritone. If you want that, just play a guitar. Tenor is as low as you'll want to go unless you want to relearn a new set of chords and fingering.

stringstrummer
03-07-2012, 04:33 AM
Hi chloechords

As I understand it, soprano, concert and tenor use the same chords, so if you can play one you can play all 3.

I believe baritone has different chords.

Also if you haven't already done so, I recommend you try a concert if you can.

I am looking to buy an alternative to soprano, but when I tried a concert I found it felt very similar to soprano, with very little difference in the feel or size, so I have decided to go for a tenor.

Dan Tindall
03-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Concert size will give you more volume and body to the sound than your soprano, but should be very familiar otherwise - certainly the larger fretboard makes some chords easier. Tenor seems to me to be a bigger jump again, more akin to guitar.

allanr
03-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Hi chloechords

As I understand it, soprano, concert and tenor use the same chords, so if you can play one you can play all 3.

I believe baritone has different chords.

Close, but not exactly. A baritone uses the same chords (as does a guitar - in a sense) except that the same chord fingering shape, played in the same position on the fretboard, will yield a different chord on Baritone that is tuned DGBE, like the highest four strings in standard guitar tuning. For example when you fret your uke "G" chord on the baritone, you will be playing a "D" chord. Your "F" shape/position will be yielding a "C" chord. Takes getting used to, but the Mandolin for example uses completely different fingering and shapes because the string intervals are different. Of course, a C is still a C, even if the fingering to create it is different.

An option with a baritone is to buy a string set designed for standard uke tuning of GCEA. I guess it would be like playing a jumbo tenor, not having ever tried this myself.

If I were you, I would buy a tenor next, with a low G setup. That way you would have a soprano for the traditional sweet ukulele sound, and a low G uke with a bigger, bolder sound. You will probably find that some songs sound better with each one.

Bill Mc
03-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Chord shapes are the same on all sized ukuleles. The names for the shapes are the same for the soprano, concert, and tenor. To derive the correct name for a shape from the soprano, concert, or tenor and apply it to the baritone ukulele go up a fifth. For example, the F major shape (2010) becomes a C major on the baritone and the G major shape (0232) becomes a D major on the baritone. Just another example of the usefuleness of the circle of fifths and fourths. All sized ukuleles are fun so whatever you buy will be a good choice. Just make it your choice.

mm stan
03-07-2012, 06:51 AM
To me it's a personal choice..go to music store and try each of them..for sound or comfort and playability...