Lanikai LU-21C vs Ohana CK-35L

RatherBeInCabo

Reaction score
I purchased the LU-21C as my first uke a several months back and decided to get something a little better. Went to a local uke only shop and tried a bunch and settled on the Ohana CK-35L. I was thinking coming from a guitar background that having the longer neck/wider frets would be a good idea. It seemed like the right thing when I was at the shop. Now that I have had both at home for a month now, I just don't enjoy the Ohana. The Lanikai seems so much easier to play and sounds a whole lot better. Both are strung with Aquila's.

It shouldn't even be close...not sure Aquilas are the best strings for that Ohana. I put some Ko'olau Alohis on my Pono mahogany concert and it sounds fantastic. Perhaps it will take a little getting used to...or.....you let your thinking get in the way of what felt best in your hands. Only time will tell....good luck.

Ive got Martins on my SK35G at the moment and really like them, i have some Ko,olau golds to try next and then maybe try some worth browns after that :)

Picked up some Martin M600's today at the local music store and have them installed now. This was also my first time changing strings and I am proud of the results! Will take a few days for them to settle in before I can really make a judgement. They are certainly much thinner than the Aquilas.

I have a PK-25 and the Aquilas just didn't do it for me. Switched to Martins and am *loving* the new sound. It's different, but awesomer. Good luck.

Another vote for fluorocarbon strings on solid mahogany ukes, as well as solid spruce tops. I've found the Aquilas to be just a bit to pushy on them. I really like the Martins and Worths and have yet to try the Freemonts.

Top Bottom