PDA

View Full Version : Lanikai LU-21C vs Ohana CK-35L

RatherBeInCabo
03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I purchased the LU-21C as my first uke a several months back and decided to get something a little better. Went to a local uke only shop and tried a bunch and settled on the Ohana CK-35L. I was thinking coming from a guitar background that having the longer neck/wider frets would be a good idea. It seemed like the right thing when I was at the shop. Now that I have had both at home for a month now, I just don't enjoy the Ohana. The Lanikai seems so much easier to play and sounds a whole lot better. Both are strung with Aquila's.

PhilUSAFRet
03-07-2012, 01:42 PM
It shouldn't even be close...not sure Aquilas are the best strings for that Ohana. I put some Ko'olau Alohis on my Pono mahogany concert and it sounds fantastic. Perhaps it will take a little getting used to...or.....you let your thinking get in the way of what felt best in your hands. Only time will tell....good luck.

ukuleledaveey
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Ive got Martins on my SK35G at the moment and really like them, i have some Ko,olau golds to try next and then maybe try some worth browns after that :)

RatherBeInCabo
03-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Picked up some Martin M600's today at the local music store and have them installed now. This was also my first time changing strings and I am proud of the results! Will take a few days for them to settle in before I can really make a judgement. They are certainly much thinner than the Aquilas.

MisterRios
03-09-2012, 03:50 AM
I have a PK-25 and the Aquilas just didn't do it for me. Switched to Martins and am *loving* the new sound. It's different, but awesomer. Good luck.

kenikas
03-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Another vote for fluorocarbon strings on solid mahogany ukes, as well as solid spruce tops. I've found the Aquilas to be just a bit to pushy on them. I really like the Martins and Worths and have yet to try the Freemonts.