PDA

View Full Version : How to mark ukes as mine?

Freeda
03-07-2012, 04:58 PM
My ukes are fairly generic. I am an absent minded type so very likely to leave one lying about. How do you mark your uke for ownership? Name/address sticker inside the sound hole?

kapahulu50
03-07-2012, 05:12 PM
I dont let them out of my sight. If I needed to put ID on it, id probably put a label that i know can be easily removed on the back of the headstock. stickers in the soundhole might come loose and rattle/buzz.

ukeeku
03-07-2012, 05:18 PM
I put tags on the cases with my info. for the ukes, I have one with an inlay of my logo, one with a label that saya "Made for Tim Szerlong" and one with a copper etched headstock logo
Ever think of marking them, not like a dog, but maybe a sticker on the back of the headstock?

salukulady
03-07-2012, 05:18 PM
I pee on mine.

itsme
03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I am an absent minded type so very likely to leave one lying about.
Where do you leave them "lying about"? In my house, I don't care, as they're all mine and it doesn't matter where I leave them.

But if you're out and about, how many do you take with you? Or are you living in some kind of communal space/dorm?

Hippie Dribble
03-07-2012, 05:55 PM
I have no life nor means of social interaction. They're all my preciouses :uhoh:

countrybumpkin
03-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Keep it in my hands at all times when bringing outside the home.

chris667
03-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Pyrography. Brand the back of your uke with your name.

Antozzi48
03-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Take a long piece of string, tie 1 end round the nut of the uke and the other round your left wrist. Problem solved!;)

Pukulele Pete
03-08-2012, 12:11 AM
I pee on mine.

Funny. Best one so far.

hoosierhiver
03-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Sign the inside

Freeda
03-08-2012, 02:18 AM
Where do you leave them "lying about"? In my house, I don't care, as they're all mine and it doesn't matter where I leave them.

But if you're out and about, how many do you take with you? Or are you living in some kind of communal space/dorm?

My job takes me many places. We serve disabled folks so any of their homes or anyplace they may be. Also there have been times where items of mine have "wandered" away from my office in the company of a client. Sometimes they don't have a really clear understanding of ownership concept. I have to mark all of my cardigan sweaters and dvds, for example, because then I can just say "well lets check the tag to be sure, maybe there was a mixup". We do serve some people with histories of theft and pathological liars as well.

Paul December
03-08-2012, 03:01 AM
I pee on mine.

I'll have to remember that if I see you selling one on the forum! :eek:

TCK
03-08-2012, 03:05 AM
I pee on mine. I was hoping someone had already said this

vanflynn
03-08-2012, 03:06 AM
a small v on the label with a felt tip pen. somewhere where it's unnoticable

allanr
03-08-2012, 03:20 AM
Pyrography. Brand the back of your uke with your name.

That seems like a lot of work. Just use your Swiss army knife to scratch your name into the finish on the back.

strumsilly
03-08-2012, 03:39 AM
That seems like a lot of work. Just use your Swiss army knife to scratch your name into the finish on the back.
I have bought vintage ukes from people who have used this method. works for me, you get a nice discount.

Mandarb
03-08-2012, 04:44 AM
I brand mine on the front soundboard with my name in big block letters. I have also installed a LoJack system on several of my ukes.

Ingrate
03-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Not many serious replies here...

If you have a business card, drop one inside the 'ukulele. It'll migrate to the nether regions in there, but can be shaken out to demonstrate that, indeed, it's your 'ukulele.

This won't stop someone from blatantly stealing your 'ukulele, but it's a harmless way to plant proof of ownership for the more common "honest mistake" you seem to be exposed to.

Ted4
03-08-2012, 06:46 AM
Paint them all pink! True story time now:- an old chum of mine had his Land Rover stolen, got a new one, decided to make sure it never happened again he got a pot of paint and slapped pink paint all over it. Frank Beaumont, I salute you!

Kayak Jim
03-08-2012, 07:00 AM
I think in your situation Freeda the name sticker on the back of the headstock makes the most sense. Easy to check by you or your clients. Marking inside the soundhole is too subtle.

Skitzic
03-08-2012, 07:54 AM
What kind of ukes are we talking about here? Makala? Kamaka? That makes a big difference in how I would mark it.

I bought shiny letter stickers and stuck my name on my dolphin. Not because I was worried someone would walk off with it, I just wanted to.

mds725
03-08-2012, 08:15 AM
I brand mine on the front soundboard with my name in big block letters. I have also installed a LoJack system on several of my ukes.

Eddie Vedder addressed this problem by writing a name (albeit Clarence Clemons's name) on his Mya Moe.

Paul December
03-08-2012, 08:16 AM
How about a luggage tag off the headstock? (https://www.google.com/search?q=luggage+tag&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=gyj&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=BgZZT63cKa71sQLx_szIDQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CHsQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=789)
You could eve make it very colorful to attract attention.

stevepetergal
09-02-2012, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't use a sticker. I might hang a personalised tag, like a luggage tag, from the headstock.

Markr1
09-02-2012, 11:13 AM
If I thought I was going to lose any of mine which i highly doubt will ever happen. I would write down serial number if there is any or take note of a mark or ding if any. I would never intentionally Leave a permanent mark on it. If I were to sell it the next person buying it may not appreiciate that. I know I wouldn't. Any mark that's not permanent can easily be removed by whomever comes across it.

austin1
09-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't use a sticker. I might hang a personalised tag, like a luggage tag, from the headstock.

I do this, but I've got a cell phone charm hanging off mine, gets the job done and and is decorative to boot.

haolejohn
09-02-2012, 11:48 AM
My ukes are fairly generic. I am an absent minded type so very likely to leave one lying about. How do you mark your uke for ownership? Name/address sticker inside the sound hole?

I piss on mine like an alpha dog.

gyosh
09-02-2012, 11:56 AM
I pee on mine.

:) Beat me to it!!!!!!

haolejohn
09-02-2012, 11:57 AM
:) Beat me to it!!!!!!

hmmmm...this is why I should read a whole thread before I respond.

gyosh
09-02-2012, 12:02 PM
I have a really small sticker with my name on a top brace. I put it there when changing strings. You can see it with a mirror but otherwise it's tough to find.

mm stan
09-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Tiny black dot with a sharpie on the label for ID...not into names just in case I sell it.....

OldePhart
09-02-2012, 12:10 PM
I piss on mine like an alpha dog.

Dang! Beat me to it! :biglaugh:

Markr1
09-02-2012, 12:12 PM
That's a really good idea.
I have a really small sticker with my name on a top brace. I put it there when changing strings. You can see it with a mirror but otherwise it's tough to find.

Freeda
09-02-2012, 12:14 PM
I love you guys.

OldePhart
09-02-2012, 12:16 PM
I use a bright yellow sticker with my email address, inside the uke and visible from the sound hole, for those honest folks who might find it and want to make sure it gets back to me.

For less honest folks I also use some far harder-to-spot and impossible-to-remove marks on ukes I really, really care about. I'm not worried about reducing resale value because I don't see myself selling those ukes and even if I did most people probably wouldn't object to those marks, anyway.

BTW, very few ukes come with serial numbers, much less ones that aren't easily removed, but most natural-finished ukes can be identified by wood grain alone if you have really good pictures from all angles...

John

Markr1
09-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Actually half of my ukes have serial numbers so I could identify at least seven of them by that.

dkcrown
09-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Tiny black dot with a sharpie on the label for ID...not into names just in case I sell it.....

The only problem with that Stan is that is how KoAloha designates their "seconds". :)

mm stan
09-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Mark the inside top bracing with a sharpie marker too or colored pencil..

SailQwest
09-02-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm fanatical about marking stuff to make it easy to distinguish. These are some of the things I've done for identification and/or decoration of ukuleles.

Dangle or charm hanging from a tuner.
Stickers, mainly on the headstocks, but sometimes on other places as well.
Nearly all have a distinctive strap.
Cases and gig bags all have luggage or pet tags with Name, E-mail, Phone Number.
Business cards tucked away inside cases and gig bags.
Hard cases are covered with stickers.
Gig bags have embroidered patches.

(My iPhone, gig bag, travel hard case, camcorder case, and backpack all have the same artwork in sticker or patch form. :D)

mm stan
09-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Aloha Dana,
that was my back up ha ha.....Koaloha uses slashes....I use dots..... check below of another way I do it.... You know if I tell you here, it wouldn't be a secret no more..ha ha

quiltingshirley
09-02-2012, 01:20 PM
All my ukes have different straps but I have a decal with my first name on the 10th fret of my KoAloha. I know I can look at those dots on the side but I always get mixed up between the 10th and 12th. The decal looks really nice and it does ID the uke as mine. Not all that many KoAloha Koa long neck sopranos hanging around where I play but it certainly says it's mine. (sticker background is antique pearl and it does look inlaid).

Kamaka Koa Pineapple
"no name" (luthier named Andre something) Koa concert (plays loud and clear but heavy!)
Anuenue concert (electric)
KoAloha Koa long neck soprano
School bus yellow Dolphin

dkcrown
09-02-2012, 02:52 PM
My Mom used to sew name tags on my underwear when I went to camp as a kid, but I digress.:)

SailingUke
09-02-2012, 04:13 PM
My Mom used to sew name tags on my underwear when I went to camp as a kid, but I digress.:)

there you go, stuff a pair of shorts in the ukulele !!!

Jcollazo
09-02-2012, 05:02 PM
While I don't have these in my ukes (not worth much), I do have SNAGG RFID chips installed in my guitars and basses. It works just like microchipping your pet. Just in the past 5 years SNAGG has cleared up ownership issues for me. And I do prosecute!?

The SNAGGs can be read with an ordinary pet scanner.

http://www.snagg.com

I don't work for them. I'm just a happy user.

OldePhart
09-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Holy jumpin' jelly beans - that is awesome! Thanks for the link. I see about fifteen or twenty of those puppies coming my way in the not too distant future!

While I don't have these in my ukes (not worth much), I do have SNAGG RFID chips installed in my guitars and basses. It works just like microchipping your pet. Just in the past 5 years SNAGG has cleared up ownership issues for me. And I do prosecute!?

I don't work for them. I'm just a happy user.

sillymonky
09-03-2012, 02:43 PM

This must surprise many a veterinarian...

ChrisRCovington
09-03-2012, 02:50 PM
This is an interesting and very current topic for me. As some of you might have read in some of my earlier posts one of my ukuleles and several other items were taken from me by an ex-GF. I sort of got over it until just last week when I found my ukulele on ebay. I bid on it and won, we'll see if it ever gets to me.

I think I have a few ideas now on how to mark my ukuleles as my own and keep a better record of them. Hopefully stuff like this won't be happening again, but break-ins do happen (although large powerful dogs and ADT help lol).

itsme
09-03-2012, 03:08 PM
As some of you might have read in some of my earlier posts one of my ukuleles and several other items were taken from me by an ex-GF. I sort of got over it until just last week when I found my ukulele on ebay. I bid on it and won, we'll see if it ever gets to me.
So, you're buying it back? Why didn't you just report them for selling stolen goods?

gitarzan
09-03-2012, 08:28 PM
I've never marked one of my ukes yet, but on my guitars I have made a bunch of small labels with my Ptouch. I used the script font and placed these labels on the truss rod covers. I used black tape with white font, and it really looked pro, like I had my own special edition guitar.

For a uke I'd use white or black type on clear tape and place it just above the nut.

bbycrts
09-04-2012, 05:15 AM

No advice - but you do know the title of this made me laugh, right?

bbycrts
09-04-2012, 05:23 AM
I had my luthier put a carrot on the back of my headstock.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/bbycrts/Visit%20with%20Brad%20Donaldson/Custom%20uke/carrot.jpg