Portuguese Master Luthier Custom Soprano -- Antonio Viera

Stevelele

Reaction score
Hi, I am in the process of raising funds for financial reasons and potential purchases, so I am documenting one of my favorites, in case I end up selling it, so I can always have something to remember it.

It is a one of a kind soprano from master, award-winning Portuguese luthier Antonio Vieira. He is one of the best and is well known there for making the best traditional Portuguese ukuleles/cavaquinhos/braguinhas (as I'm sure you all know, this is where the ukulele is originally from)

The wenge wood is one piece, covering half of the top and the fret board--is has great black streaks, which almost look like they were drawn on, and is bound with a rope/herringbone pattern. Also has a purposely unfinished top for better vibration and sustain. Wenge is a dense African wood with tight straight grain and produces a sound with excellent projection and great sustain.

I don't know how to rate it because it's so different and special and I have never seen another like it. I carried it all the way from Portugal by hand--I found it at a craftsman convention in Lisbon, Portugal--met the luthier who had just won a $10,000 prize for his recreation of a classic Portuguese mandolin.

Anyhow, watch the video if you are inclined. If I end up selling this, I will let you know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvfL2aFBxqA

Last edited:
Top Bottom