New Concert Surf Flea

scason

Reaction score
New Concert Surf Flea (pic added)

Got my Surf flea Monday and have been playing it exclusively. The plastic fretboard still feels weird to me, like it plays too fast for me almost. Does that make sense? I also have the stock friction tuners which I don't seem to have a problem with. I can tune it quickly. However it does seem to go out of tune frequently, the C string being the biggest culprit. I'm hoping this will settle after a full week of playing being this is a brand new baby. This is a nice instrument. I'm a total newbie but I can see myself saving up for a tenor fluke. You guys are not joking about UAS! I think a support group may be in order. :p

Sorry about that Rook...here is a pic.

surf.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I've got the Concert Surf Fluke, which is currently my primary uke, and the first one I bought. I actually prefer the look of the Flea model with that design. It actually looks like it's a squat little surfboard instead of just a portion of a surfboard like the Fluke. Good times!

Congrats on your new flea! I''ve heard great things about them which is why I ordered a tenor flea on Monday!
I'm betting the tuning issues are just due to the newness of the strings. But I'm a bit nervous about the friction tuners myself.
These will be my first.

I'm betting on the newness of the strings too. I don't see what the gripe is about friction tuners. These are my first and I was able to just tune it. I did follow the "pinch don't twist" advice on the board and it works. Hope you like you Fluke. I think you will.

Uh, this is the support group. We all enable one another, quite well.
Welcome to the disease, you'll love it!

I click on these posts immediately to see a pic of the Uke

:(

The first time I used friction tuners I turned as I normally would and wondered why I was several notes out.

I agree with scason - just a little slight tweak rather than turn and they are fine. Much quicker when you get used to them.

The more I play this uke the more I'm loving it. Now I'm wondering if I should have gone with the rosewood fretboard just for uke longevity sake.

The more I play this uke the more I'm loving it. Now I'm wondering if I should have gone with the rosewood fretboard just for uke longevity sake.

No worries. The next one will have the rosewood fretboard ;)

Like a few others here, once I got used to friction tuners, I cam to really like them. Especially when restringing. Besides new strings (like all ukes), having the tension too loose on a friction tuner will also prevent the instrument from staying in tune.

Got my Surf flea Monday and have been playing it exclusively. The plastic fretboard still feels weird to me, like it plays too fast for me almost. Does that make sense? I also have the stock friction tuners which I don't seem to have a problem with. I can tune it quickly. However it does seem to go out of tune frequently, the C string being the biggest culprit. I'm hoping this will settle after a full week of playing being this is a brand new baby. This is a nice instrument. I'm a total newbie but I can see myself saving up for a tenor fluke. You guys are not joking about UAS! I think a support group may be in order. :p

Sorry about that Rook...here is a pic.

View attachment 34881

LOL scason thanks...nothin worse than to be prepared for some bodacious ukulele eye-candy and then Boom! Nothing hahaha

But seriously great looking uke, flea or fluke probably my next

Don't put any metal-wound low-G strings on it! I doubt that plastic strings will wear down the frets anytime soon - at least I hope not. I play my plastic-fret Flea all the time!

BTW, you can send it back to Flea Market Music and get a new fretboard if needed. You could change to wood/metal then.

While it is true that friction tuners suffice, the Pegheds are so easy to live with, and look great on my Flea. The wooden-peg motif goes well with the Flea's polynesian look, IMO. (F-M Music can retrofit those as well)

:)

I'm really happy with my Flea natural with tenor neck. I like the plastic fret board and everything about it. I was surprised at how well made it is and very pleased with the sound. No regrets on this purchase. The design keeps me picking it up. With the flat bottom, I just leave sitting around which causes me to go over and pick it up for a few strums.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up tightening the friction tunes just a bit just for precaution. Awesome little uke, I plan on making this my travel uke although I saw someone with a peanut electric in my meetup group and was like "Wow, great travel uke!":D

So I've had my flea for a few weeks now and it still seems to detune a little from one day to the next. Is that normal? I have tightened the friction tuners but I'm afraid to go too tight. I'm still loving it. I've attached a sound sample, be kind, i used the iphone voice memo app and I've been learning just over a month.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12931457/ukemelody.mp3

I have a Flea concert (natural), but with a tenor neck. I do have to tune it each day, but I've not played mine everyday either. I think it must be your strings still breaking in. My peg tuners seem pretty tight and I have not touched the screws on them. I really like the plastic fretboard because the strings are as low as I've ever seen compared to my other ukes.

So I've had my flea for a few weeks now and it still seems to detune a little from one day to the next. Is that normal? I have tightened the friction tuners but I'm afraid to go too tight. I'm still loving it. I've attached a sound sample, be kind, i used the iphone voice memo app and I've been learning just over a month.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12931457/ukemelody.mp3

Wow, that sounds so pretty! What is it? I want to play that too!!!

Thanks Shastastan I will give my strings another week. I didn't try to stretch them and really don't want to. :D

Thanks Bluelatitude! That there is my 1st ever original composition. I want to add more to it but not sure how too. lol. I can try to explain how I play it but not sure how, its C, F, G, Amin Chords and I kinda strum and finger pick it. I'm really really new at this.

Your strings will soon settle in and you will quickly become accustomed to the friction tuners.
I keep trying new instruments, but I always come back to my flea.
Enjoy.

I have a lagoon concert Flea (it's my avatar pic). Since I got it I don't really play any of my other ukes. It has the plastic fretboard but I sprung for the Peghed tuners. I love everything about it. It's too bad they don't offer an ebony fretboard. If I ever decided to go back and get a wooden one, I would want it to be black like the plastic one.

Have a great time with your Flea! I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment.

Nix

Your strings will soon settle in and you will quickly become accustomed to the friction tuners.
I keep trying new instruments, but I always come back to my flea.
Enjoy.

Me, too. While waiting for my Mainland Pineapple, I got a Flea. I seem to be reaching for the Flea a lot more than the pineapple.

Top Bottom