Where does everyone stand on Luna ukes? Love or hate?

chloechords

Reaction score
Where do you all stand on Luna ukuleles? I've been going back and forth to them, whether they're a novelty or a good ukulele. I personally love the designs and really like the peace concert and I don't know anyone round here with one so I thought I would ask you lovely knowledgeable people :)

Where do you all stand on Luna ukuleles? I've been going back and forth to them, whether they're a novelty or a good ukulele. I personally love the designs and really like the peace concert and I don't know anyone round here with one so I thought I would ask you lovely knowledgeable people :)

I prefer an Ohana or an Islander.

I have the Concert Flora and my 10 year old has the Great Waves Pineapple. I had to send my 1st Flora back because the bridge popped off, BUT, the new one actually has better action and tone than the old one...

I like them both.

Last edited:
Meh.....pretty bling. Same with their pretty guitars. Band mate has the pretty purple guitar. Plays okay, but she doesn't use it a gigs very often, she has better sounding ones. We have been known to just have it setting on stage for show. I was thinking it would be awesome to own and play the matching uke on stage and my daughter was crazy about the dolphin sound hole one. Messed with both at NAMM 2010. Completely unimpressed with their sound.

You know when a company is serious about marketing their ukes at NAMM. People are there to help and talk to you. No one in the booth and the ukes weren't even tuned.

That's a trick question, right? If you stand on it you'll break it. Hold it in your hands instead.

I love mine BUT 1) I got it from HMS so it was set up right and 2) I have almost no basis for comparison as I am brand new to ukes.

I have 2 Luna ukes. My first uke was a high tide tenor. It's electric and I bought it from HMS so it was set up and had a good sound. I found out right away that I don't prefer tenor so it doesn't get played. I also bought one of the bright blue pretty dolphins around the sound hole concert Luna ukes. I didn't really like that one and the action is a bit high. For a lark I put low G Worth clear strings on it and now I love it. I keep it and my high G Flea close most of the time and those are the ukes I play. The Luna dolphin has surprising sustain and a deep, mellow sound with the low G Worths.

Nix

i have a luna pineapple tattoo and to be honest it has been relegated to my beater uke as i have just sold my dolphin to one of the beginners at our uke club, i have improved the action on it as it was quite high at the nut and saddle, it does play a bit better and the intonation has improved, if you buy from the likes of MGM you will get an excellent set up straight out of the box, elsewhere well it depends if they set the uke up before sending it out, but they are pleasant enough for the price and give out a mellow smokey sound when played, i have also seen a comparison on UU where the OP compared the Luna pineapple to the aNueNue rabbit pineapple soprano, it looked exactly the same except for the soundhole with the aNueNue coming in at double the price, check out the comparison

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...ineapple-and-Luna-pineapple&highlight=aNueNue

I haven't played anything but the Tattoo and Honu but they both were pretty decent. I went with the Tattoo because I wanted a pineapple and the design was cool. I like mine and use it as a travel ukulele. In fact I might bring it into work tomorrow and try to get some co-workers to try it out.

nice looking ukes...

sounded the same as my mahalo les paul to me

I have a Luna concert tattoo, total I have 11 ukes all of different quality and price range...they all have their pros and cons, my Koaloha has the best action and sound hands down, however my Luna is my go-to everyday playing uke (i have worn gloss areas on the fret board and strum areas on top). It holds it tuning, sounds great and best of all is perfect for the campfire nights. Bottom line for the price you cant beat it. I agree with previous posts though, dont order...go to a shop, play it and make sure its set up right.

The Luna Tattoo pineapple was my first uke and still gets played most days although I now have a nice Kala sop.

As the others have said, the action was way too high when I first got it so had to have it fettled.

Lovely sounding uke at a good price.

I have had two High Tide Tenors and they have been very consistent and great value, they have more traditional looks, too. Only issue is the attachment of the pickup transducer inside the body-glue came off both...

I love mine. If you can get to Fould's music in Derby they have one. If you can make it to Derby ukulele club, you can have a go on mine!

Last edited:
I normally stand next to them. I'm fat so standing on a uke is bad.

Top Bottom