Good place to check out Ukes in Vegas?

moabchad

Reaction score
I am going to be in vegas for about a week with work, i was just wondering if anyone here knows of a good place to check out some ukes, Im planning on buying one while im there and just not sure where to start, should i just check out a guitar center or is there another music store i should know about? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Nope, sorry. For as big as this city is, we're pretty much limited to internet sales. If you're lucky you will find a few Lanakai's and Cordobas, and maybe a Mitchell at Guitar Center but that's about it.

This may sound crazy, but it's certainly worth investigating.

Do you ever watch the the show "Pawn Stars" on the History Channel? It takes place in a Vegas pawn shop called the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop. Don't be scared off; it's a big and legitimate operation. They've gotten many ukes and banjoleles, often featured on the show, usually vintage stuff like Gibsons. They have experts come in to evaluate a lot of it, and they send a lot of it out to be restored. Their expert for ukes and guitars is a guy named Jesse Armoroso from a store called Cowtown Guitars (which could also be worth checking out).

It's a really interesting show, I highly recommend it. Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawn_Stars

If I were in Vegas and looking for an interesting uke I would definitely check them out.

This may sound crazy, but it's certainly worth investigating.

Do you ever watch the the show "Pawn Stars" on the History Channel? It takes place in a Vegas pawn shop called the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop. Don't be scared off; it's a big and legitimate operation. They've gotten many ukes and banjoleles, often featured on the show, usually vintage stuff like Gibsons. They have experts come in to evaluate a lot of it, and they send a lot of it out to be restored. Their expert for ukes and guitars is a guy named Jesse Armoroso from a store called Cowtown Guitars (which could also be worth checking out).

It's a really interesting show, I highly recommend it. Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawn_Stars

If I were in Vegas and looking for an interesting uke I would definitely check them out.

I was in there this summer when I was on vacation. They had a vintage banjolele in fair shape for $900. Or about $700-800 too much considering the condition. There are many places to buy nice ukes online; of course it stinks that you can't play them first.

I was in there this summer when I was on vacation. They had a vintage banjolele in fair shape for $900. Or about $700-800 too much considering the condition. There are many places to buy nice ukes online; of course it stinks that you can't play them first.

The pawn shop or Cowtown?

If I've learned anything from watching the show, they are DEFINITELY willing to negotiate.

At least checkout Cowtown Guitars.

Like I said, these places are worth investigating. Even if you don't find a uke, you might find a 17th century sundial that you can't live without.

Aloha2Go looks like a fun store. They even keep Hawaiian hours. "Mon - Sat Around 11am - Around 5pm, Sunday... Maybe"

Can't really tell about the ukes, but will definitely be a drive-by next time in Vegas.

When I was Maui, found these hours very attractive.

Bank of Hawaii hours.jpg

I visited Aloha2go today. It's basically a small Hawaiian gift shop crammed with trinkets, Tshirts and Hawaiian shirts ($50??? Nice, but I don't think so). Behind the counter was a nice man who was more than willing to show me his Ukuleles. He said for the price point of the shop, he's limited to factory ukes but he seems to be the only place in Las Vegas where you can actually lay hands on Kalas. He had the thin body Travel Kala, an exotic mahogany concert, and one or two others. He also carries Lanikai, Rip Tide and a few brands I'd never heard of, and some decorated with inlay. Only about six visible behind the counter, so if you're expecting a full featured music store, this isn't it.

I didn't see anything that led me to believe he did any setup other than take the out of the cardboard box, but if you're in town and looking, it could be a fun side trip. The shop is on Sahara just west of Valley View about a mile or so west of "The Strip"

Last edited:
Top Bottom