My new MB; The Phoenix

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
One year ago today, Chuck Moore was kind enough to put me on his build list. And this is what arrived yesterday. As you can see, it was well worth the wait. The pictures don't come close to doing it justice. The Gold MOP in the inlays just shimmer as the light refracts off it.

Five years ago I went through a bitter divorce that completely turned my life upside down. It was an emotional and financial roller coaster that I wouldn't wish on anyone. But every cloud has a silver lining, and for me there turned out to be many.

One positive that came out of the many negatives was deciding to learn how to play the ukulele. It has canged my life. So when it came time to decide on a theme for my custom, it had to be the Phoenix. Rising up from the ashes. And according to lore, the Phoenix was blessed with a beautiful song. The perfect choice for one of Chuck's ukes.

I found the image and Chuck took it from there. The rosette was all Chuck, one of his most challeging ever.

My only disappointment is that the process is now over. It has been something that I have looked forward to for a long time. Those who have had a custom ukulele built before will understand that the journey itself is a big part of the experience. As many have said before me, Chuck has been fantastic to work with. Along the way we discovered that we shared many things in common, including birthdays and a wise-ass sense of humor.

Thanks Chuck. Nobody else can do what you do.

ThePhoenix011.jpg

ThePhoenix025.jpg

ThePhoenix017.jpg

ThePhoenix021.jpg

I've been told that ENVY is one of the 7 deadly sins............sheesh, I'm screwed!
Gorgeous....congratulations.

Ah yes, the sweetness of anticipation....

What a special and unique uke! Is it Koa? And a tenor? I think it's really a kick to have a uke that is actually a one-of-a-kind, particularly when it expresses something personal.
I know what you mean about missing the process of building a custom uke though. I recently received a custom Pohaku (see review here http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?60269-Fancy-New-Butterfly-Custom-Pohaku-by-Peter-Hurney, and as delighted as I am with it (and I play it constantly) I really do miss dreaming about it. I used to get to sleep many nights by thinking about it. As wonderful as it is to finally practice with the real thing, the anticipation is lovely too! Maybe I'll start dreaming about a Moore Bettah since the wait of saving for it alone would last me a while! Is it rude to ask you what this one set you back?

Holy cow, that's beautiful! Congrats.

My god it is pretty. Heck, all of them are pretty.

Could we possible have sound samples of all of them? (I think i've been all over the forums repeating this question)

Dana

I know you've been on a selling spree in anticipation of the CMU. I'm going to ask you a rhetorical question that needs no answer. Was it worth it? Hahaha

Congrats!!!

It is just stunning...they all are. Congrats my friend on a real beauty, with lots of personal meaning behind it.

Last edited:
WOW WOW WOW ..Amazing and Awesome.....I am so jealous, holy moly..an addition to the twin Chuckies...:drool::drool:
I am sure the ukulele has gotten you through the rough times and what a way to pay omage to it with a Chuckie....
thank you for sharing...Happy Strummings, bruddah...

Last edited:
Chuck is just showing off now...

Nice collection of MBs Dana. I know it was worth the wait!

Wow!!! I can only imagine how you feel! Congrats on the sweet new uke. When can we expect a video? :)

That is some intense Koa! How do you like the side sound port?

Re: sound samples...I almost don't want to hear one unless you're a good player and have decent recording equipment. I've tried recording myself and know that I can't do my uke justice.

Thats a beautiful uke. Congratulations. The Phoenix design is amazing. Thanks for sharing the story behind the design and the pics.

Wow. 3 Moore Bettah ukes. I assume The Phoenix is your favorite.

That is some seriously awesome work. I probably missed the boat on owning a Moore Bettah forever, but maybe someday I'll have the good fortune to check one out.

Top Bottom