PDA

View Full Version : My new MB; The Phoenix

dkcrown
03-08-2012, 04:17 PM
One year ago today, Chuck Moore was kind enough to put me on his build list. And this is what arrived yesterday. As you can see, it was well worth the wait. The pictures don't come close to doing it justice. The Gold MOP in the inlays just shimmer as the light refracts off it.

Five years ago I went through a bitter divorce that completely turned my life upside down. It was an emotional and financial roller coaster that I wouldn't wish on anyone. But every cloud has a silver lining, and for me there turned out to be many.

One positive that came out of the many negatives was deciding to learn how to play the ukulele. It has canged my life. So when it came time to decide on a theme for my custom, it had to be the Phoenix. Rising up from the ashes. And according to lore, the Phoenix was blessed with a beautiful song. The perfect choice for one of Chuck's ukes.

I found the image and Chuck took it from there. The rosette was all Chuck, one of his most challeging ever.

My only disappointment is that the process is now over. It has been something that I have looked forward to for a long time. Those who have had a custom ukulele built before will understand that the journey itself is a big part of the experience. As many have said before me, Chuck has been fantastic to work with. Along the way we discovered that we shared many things in common, including birthdays and a wise-ass sense of humor.

Thanks Chuck. Nobody else can do what you do.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/The%20Phoenix/ThePhoenix011.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/The%20Phoenix/ThePhoenix025.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/The%20Phoenix/ThePhoenix017.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/The%20Phoenix/ThePhoenix021.jpg

dkcrown
03-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Some "Moore" pics

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/The%20Phoenix/ThePhoenix022.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/The%20Phoenix/ThePhoenix026.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/The%20Phoenix/ThePhoenix029.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/The%20Phoenix/ThePhoenix044.jpg

dkcrown
03-08-2012, 04:22 PM
A few "Moore". And the Holy Trinity

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/The%20Phoenix/ThePhoenix016.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/The%20Phoenix/ThePhoenix039.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h368/dkcrown1/The%20Phoenix/009.jpg

PhilUSAFRet
03-08-2012, 04:49 PM
I've been told that ENVY is one of the 7 deadly sins............sheesh, I'm screwed!
Gorgeous....congratulations.

RyRod
03-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Stunning. That rosette is a work of art...well the whole thing is.

I'm glad there's a story/meaning behid the uke itself. It make it that much more special.

That is one impressive collection too.

pepamahina
03-08-2012, 04:53 PM
What a special and unique uke! Is it Koa? And a tenor? I think it's really a kick to have a uke that is actually a one-of-a-kind, particularly when it expresses something personal.
I know what you mean about missing the process of building a custom uke though. I recently received a custom Pohaku (see review here http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?60269-Fancy-New-Butterfly-Custom-Pohaku-by-Peter-Hurney, and as delighted as I am with it (and I play it constantly) I really do miss dreaming about it. I used to get to sleep many nights by thinking about it. As wonderful as it is to finally practice with the real thing, the anticipation is lovely too! Maybe I'll start dreaming about a Moore Bettah since the wait of saving for it alone would last me a while! Is it rude to ask you what this one set you back?

Nickie
03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Holy cow, that's beautiful! Congrats.

Lexxy
03-08-2012, 05:06 PM
My god it is pretty. Heck, all of them are pretty.

Could we possible have sound samples of all of them? (I think i've been all over the forums repeating this question)

Dan Uke
03-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Dana

I know you've been on a selling spree in anticipation of the CMU. I'm going to ask you a rhetorical question that needs no answer. Was it worth it? Hahaha

Congrats!!!

AKuker
03-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Simply stunning! Now you get the joy of playing it! Have fun!

wickedwahine11
03-08-2012, 05:19 PM
It is just stunning...they all are. Congrats my friend on a real beauty, with lots of personal meaning behind it.

vanflynn
03-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Wow. That pretty much sums it up.

Wow.

Thanks for all the pics.

mm stan
03-08-2012, 05:42 PM
WOW WOW WOW ..Amazing and Awesome.....I am so jealous, holy moly..an addition to the twin Chuckies...:drool::drool:
I am sure the ukulele has gotten you through the rough times and what a way to pay omage to it with a Chuckie....
thank you for sharing...Happy Strummings, bruddah...

Ronnie Aloha
03-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Chuck is just showing off now...

Nice collection of MBs Dana. I know it was worth the wait!

Tigeralum2001
03-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Wow!!! I can only imagine how you feel! Congrats on the sweet new uke. When can we expect a video? :)

Drew Bear
03-08-2012, 06:11 PM
That is some intense Koa! How do you like the side sound port?

Re: sound samples...I almost don't want to hear one unless you're a good player and have decent recording equipment. I've tried recording myself and know that I can't do my uke justice.

Doc_J
03-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Thats a beautiful uke. Congratulations. The Phoenix design is amazing. Thanks for sharing the story behind the design and the pics.

Wow. 3 Moore Bettah ukes. I assume The Phoenix is your favorite.

GX9901
03-08-2012, 06:20 PM
That is some seriously awesome work. I probably missed the boat on owning a Moore Bettah forever, but maybe someday I'll have the good fortune to check one out.

SailQwest
03-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Gorgeous!!

Dan Uke
03-08-2012, 07:14 PM
What's up Tim...No threadjacking allowed!! 10 mins. in the penalty box.

Ronnie Aloha
03-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Uh, Tim? I'm so confused...

tigersister
03-08-2012, 07:32 PM
That's spectacular! Please tell me that it sounds horrible, so I can be less envious. :drool:

erivel
03-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Wow, that is a beautiful piece of art! The inlays are amazing. Bet it sounds good too! Much congrats to you!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Uh, Tim? I'm so confused...

I think it's Tim that's confused. ;)

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
03-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Dana, that's an absolutely stunning ukulele. Congratulations. Now rise.

mm stan
03-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Triple the pleasure..Triple the Fun.. Moore Bettah's is da ones...

mds725
03-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Awesome ukulele. And I love the myth of the Phoenix. It makes a great theme for your ukulele. Congratulations!

consitter
03-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Wow, what a beautiful uke! And a great story behind it too.

dkcrown
03-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Dana

I know you've been on a selling spree in anticipation of the CMU. I'm going to ask you a rhetorical question that needs no answer. Was it worth it? Hahaha

Congrats!!!

Yes Daniel, it was worth it!

dkcrown
03-09-2012, 01:18 AM
That is some intense Koa! How do you like the side sound port?

Re: sound samples...I almost don't want to hear one unless you're a good player and have decent recording equipment. I've tried recording myself and know that I can't do my uke justice.

Hey Drew. The side soundport has been the biggest surprise of this uke for me. It really does project sound upwards towards the player. I would order any custom with one. I have only plyed one other uke that had one before. It was another MB, but I was playing it at The Music Emporium and there was alot of background noise going on at the time. I couldn't hear the full effect of it.

With regards to a sound sample, I don't have any recording equipment. While I am certainly not a master player, I am not a beginner either. While I do play at some open mics, my playing is for the enjoyment of myself, not the detriment of others.:)

Gwynedd
03-09-2012, 01:43 AM
Wow. Just Wow. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I don't have envy, I feel "I am not worthy!"

I understand about uke and divorce--lost my husband--what a great guy, a year ago next week and I took up the uke to distract me. (Music hath charms, etc and learning new things is good to do.) I only wish he were still here because he loved guitars and stringed instruments and he'd probably take up the uke with a passion and now I'll never see that nor play duets with him. But the uke has been very helpful for emotional healing. You can't be sad playing a uke. Just not possible.

Stevelele
03-09-2012, 02:53 AM
I am not even joking--this ukulele belongs in the Museum of Modern Art. I have no doubt that they would happily take and display it!

ksiegel
03-09-2012, 02:58 AM
OK, now I understand why you sold the Sceptre.

I still wish I had been able to afford it, but....

I can only dream about a Moore Bettah... I'll need to replace some 50+ year old appliances, and deal with a major bathroom overhaul (also 50+ year old issues) before I could commit to something from Chuck.

So I thank you for my vicarious pleasure.

-Kurt

1931jim
03-09-2012, 03:17 AM
Thank you dkcrown for the beautiful pictures. As others have said, your three MB's are all works of art. Please don't neglect the old faithfuls for the new Phoenix.

bdukes
03-09-2012, 03:50 AM
That is indeed a beautiful ukulele. And it displays one of the many things I admire about Chuck's work, his ability to continue to innovate. Although it doesn't carry any of the island or tropical themes present in many of his other pieces, it's clearly a Moore Bettah. The uke's proportions are so in balance and that rosette is so unique. It's also a nice story and to have a piece of art as a constant emotional motivator and catalyst for your rebound has to be inspiring. No matter how you slice it, divorce sucks, (been there myself) but you seem to have found a way to move on quite effectively. Congrats on that alone. Although it can turn you inside out, I look back at divorce as the best thing to happen to me. I've since found the love of my life, have a beautiful baby girl and enjoying the heck out of my work. Can't ask for much more. (Other than a nice Moore Bettah slot head tenor.)

Really nice work, Chuck. Congrats and continued success to you, Dana. Thanks for sharing.

dkcrown
03-09-2012, 04:48 AM
OK, now I understand why you sold the Sceptre.

-Kurt

Hi Kurt. Nobody bought the Sceptre. It is still available.:)

dkcrown
03-09-2012, 05:01 AM
Bill, I agree whole heartedly. As strange as it sounds, my divorce, in a roundabout way, is the best thing that ever happened to me. It is hard to imagine when you're in the middle of it, but keeping a positive outlook and knowing that there is always light at the end of the tunnel, ultimately got me through it.

Mandarb
03-09-2012, 05:09 AM
Beautiful uke - thanks for sharing the story behind it!

uke4life
03-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Congrats on the beautiful Uke...Chuck does a PHENOMENAL job!!! You are blessed with that one to add to your collection!!

Hippie Dribble
03-18-2012, 12:20 PM
wow Dana, speechless. Congratulations mate. It's amazing how the ukulele impacts lives.

keliiyama
03-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Very beautiful ukulele! The Koa on this ukulele is SUPERB. You gotta be pretty darn sure that no one out there has a uke like this one. Cheers mate! And to get on Chuck's list.....WOW!

Dan Uke
03-18-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm glad to see that people still comment on this thread. As beautiful as the uke is, the meaning is so much more special.

fitncrafty
03-19-2012, 12:33 AM
That uke is gorgeous!! congrats and enjoy playing! yes a sound sample would be lovely!! Please share!

philpot
03-19-2012, 03:41 AM
All three of those are beautiful, but I do believe this one is my favorite. i love how the koa is distinctly different on each, but they're all so beautiful in their own way. I would have a hard time choosing which one to play!! ;)