Getting a little bit of Jake Shimabukuro mojo on my uke

GX9901

Reaction score
I went to Jake Shimabukuro's concert in Minneapolis tonight and brought my Glyph mezzo-soprano that was patterned after his Kamaka hoping to have him check it out and even play it a little bit. He did just that after the concert and seemed to like the uke as he noodled on it a little bit. He noted that it had a wide fretboard that's wider than his, which is kind of a fun fact. I had just assumed that he has a 1.5" nut on his uke because he plays a lot of fingerstyle, but I guess his uke is in fact very traditional with a 1-3/8" nut and 18 total frets.

Anyway, now I shall be twice the player I used to be since Jake touched my uke...or not. :p

Well, here's Jake checking out Mini-Jake:
IMG_2696%2520-%2520Copy.JPG

Thanks for sharing the picture.

Damned, that is a pretty uke. I ;m sure it plays well too.

I'm sure Jake wanted to yoink that!!

Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing.

A soprano with a slotted head, now that's something.

Nice photo, btw I count 19 frets on a soprano??
that's something special!

Last edited:
A soprano with a slotted head, now that's something.

Nice photo, btw I count 19 frets on a soprano??
that's something special!

Well, it's actually a mezzo-soprano. The body is sized between a soprano and a concert and the scale-length for this particular one is maybe a 1/4" shorter than the typical concert scale. There are actually 18 frets on it. I asked the luthier to put as many frets as possible onto the fretboard and he got 18 on it.

BTW, doesn't that uke look a lot bigger in Jake's hands??? ;)

Last edited:
Cool! I was pretty excited last year when I had Jake play my Kamaka HF-3 and give it a little bit of his mojo.

It was great seeing you at the concert and standing in line with you to see Jake. Sue is right it is a beautiful Uke!!!

It was great seeing you at the concert and standing in line with you to see Jake. Sue is right it is a beautiful Uke!!!

Good to see you too Ross. I should have taken the uke out earlier so you can check it out too.

Top Bottom