Ralph Shaw, a case study

tonyh

Reaction score
How to build a ukulele case sang Ralph Shaw in the “show me your home made cases” post from Chris667. This one is not exactly what Ralph had in mind, but close enough. Total cost of the case and uke a couple of quid, about $2 US).

Hope it gives you a bit of inspiration Chris!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Wow. The case is nice.

But is that uke made of match sticks?
-------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies Doc_J I think I dropped a ball with my previous reply. Just read FAQ and hope I got it right this time.

Yes, it is made with 10,000 throw away matchsticks.

In other words, you're setting things on fire with that uke! On the lines of another recent thread, "do you name your uke" I'd call it sparky. But that's just me =p

Nice case, but does it offer a lot of protection?

In other words, you're setting things on fire with that uke! On the lines of another recent thread, "do you name your uke" I'd call it sparky. But that's just me =p

Nice case, but does it offer a lot of protection?

In another older thread ukecantdothat suggested I "do a version of LIGHT MY FIRE and post it."

The case has been around since 1984 the same year as the uke. The other matchstick instruments and their cases are still around too. So I guess my father was thinking inside and outside the box eight decades ago when he made a violin and bow, two mandolins, acoustic guitar and a tenor banjo.

1984...it's as old as me. I guess that speaks to it's durability. Did you ever do that song? I'd be interested in seeing it!

In another older thread ukecantdothat suggested I "do a version of LIGHT MY FIRE and post it."

The case has been around since 1984 the same year as the uke. The other matchstick instruments and their cases are still around too. So I guess my father was thinking inside and outside the box eight decades ago when he made a violin and bow, two mandolins, acoustic guitar and a tenor banjo.

1984...it's as old as me. I guess that speaks to it's durability. Did you ever do that song? I'd be interested in seeing it!

Unfortunately, just like my father before me I can’t play or read a note and I don’t have any sound samples. It’s only been played once since my father made it. The uke made a very brief appearance in a matchstick band performance on BBC television. It can be seen on this YouTube video at 6mins 57secs --- Don’t blink though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=w2VNdDV6Vzo

That is a cool ukulele and box. I'm very curious to hear it

That is a cool ukulele and box. I'm very curious to hear it

Me too, I’ve never heard it either! I would be delighted to hear from you and UU members how to make it possible to post it being played. So, is there a UU performer (with a special spark) who would be interested to play for the first time on the planet; The Jack Hall Guinness World Records
Matchstick Ukulele? And, which tune would be appropriate?

Here’s a photo of yours truly with someone who I would love to play it! Unfortunately, back in 1997 when he invited to one of his gigs to show him my father’s matchstick instruments, I was unaware of his passion for the uke, so I didn’t take it with me )-:

A Picture of You.jpg

As I'm from North America, I don't recognize the labels. Are those matchbooks or cigarette boxes making up the case?

As I'm from North America, I don't recognize the labels. Are those matchbooks or cigarette boxes making up the case?

No, they are “Cardboard MatchBoxes.” 200 went into the construction, joined together with carpenter’s glue. "The Ship" was the brand name of a British match company who are no longer around.

Ralph Shaw’s song how to build a ukulele case prompted me to post this link. I viewed his video on this page and thought the words were a perfect match. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?61474-Show-me-your-homemade-cases

Top Bottom