What kind of uke and what's it worth??

VinnyQH

Reaction score
what kind is this?? and what's it worth??

ebaycraigslist019.jpg

ebaycraigslist020.jpg

ebaycraigslist022.jpg

ebaycraigslist023.jpg

any type of real value? or jsut a 5.99 value that it's worth from value village?

Laminate top, looks like something that was mass-produced in the late 60s and early 70s by Diastone.

What is the tell that the top is laminate?
The design is identical to the Diastone and other ukes of that era, made in Japan. Every single one I've encountered was laminate. They were not expensive ukes, but rather meant as entry-level instruments. It's mahogany, too.

I did a bit of research on the manufacturer. See here: www.ianchadwick.com/ukuleles/diastone.htm

From the links I provided you'll see that the Hawaiian uke makers apparently had an offshore line even in those days (like Islander and Pono today). In this case Kamaka had Aloha, made in Japan (as Ian said) by the Tokyo Stringed Instrument Mfg. Co. Ltd. It is really the early Hawaiian made instruments that are truly collectable but yours looks pretty cool regardless.

I picked up an ALOHA ROYAL ukulele off ebay that had the same headbadge..but the top and bottom were destroyed..but they were made of SOLID MAHOGANY..not laminated wood.I've since redone the wood and rebuilt it with similar solid wood.Unfortunately the older top had cracks in it and shrunken over the years and couldn't be saved to fit the body that had bad glue that had separated at a lot of the seams.The back had similar shrink problems.This one DID HAVE SOLID WOOD on the top and back..pieces I still have.Original pictures should still be in the auction for a little while...Not all have laminate,some better ones were made with solid wood tops and backs...I build..I restore..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161221257184?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Top Bottom