PDA

View Full Version : Makala Dolphin "Blowhole"

Bill1
03-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Time expired

pepamahina
03-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Hee hee! "Blowhole"...I really like that! I'm going to call it that from now on!
I wouldn't suggest cutting a hole in your dolphin. My uke has a "blowhole", but it was built with the structural support in place to compensate for the weakness caused by the hole. You might want to post this question in the Ukulele Building/"Luthier's Lounge" section of the forum to see what real ukulele builders say about it.

WhenDogsSing
03-09-2012, 02:45 PM
If you're thinking about cutting a "blowhole" sound port in the side of a Makala Dolphin, you might reconsider because the sides and back are plastic. The chances of cracking it are high.

steelarts
03-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Very interesting Bill. Any chance of a sound sample?

Colonel Uke
04-03-2012, 04:45 AM
If you wanted to dress up the soundholes you created, you might try these screened grommets that are used a lot by the cigar box crowd.
You would need to drill the holes to match the size of the grommet, and the surface where the hole is would need to be flat, but they would give it a finished look. You can just glue them in place with a little CA glue.
https://www.cbgitty.com/cubecart/4pc-1-inch-shiny-brass-screened-grommets.html

PoiDog
04-03-2012, 05:21 AM
Cut out a piece of black sticky vinyl and put it over the holes. Still sounds the same.

Okay, I may be missing something almost certainly obvious but ...

If you dirlled holes then cover them with some vinyl, why bother to drill the holes?

Like I said, I'm probably missing something almost certainly obvious ...