string install questions

jsigone

Reaction score
Got my D'Addario string today from UU (thanks!!)

After I cut the ends off, I noticed on the C string that it only has 1 1/4 revs around the tuner. Is this OK or will it keep slipping? All the strings seem to go out of tune after a few minutes of playing. According to the tuner, it drops a full note. Just wonder if the C string is hosed. I can prolly pull some off the saddle but not much.

And is the High G string thicker then the A string?

Last edited:
Grab each string at the twelfth fret and give it a good stretch. Keep tuning and retuning it a few times, the strings should stretch out considerably. Did you loop any of the string back into the tuning peg to secure it? Might help. Also, did you get the wrong length of string? I understand that there are different strings for different uke sizes--soprano strings may be a bit short for a tenor, for example. Put in the tuning peg loop and try the string stretching and it should probably come around in a day or so.

I got the Concert strings from UU, Had about a ft left over. I did loop the tails to one side, but didn't add any loops around the tuner. G,E,A has like 2-3 revs around the peg, but the C has only one....

And the sleeve for both the A and G were the same, I'm thinking the thinner string is the A which means I put it on backwards because I did one string at a time.

I had a C string break after i cut the remaining off at the tunner. I had just enought string to reach the tunner, using pliers to hold the string while i tuned it i ended up haveing about 5 loops after it finished streching.

swapped the A and G around, sound much better. The A string was a bit short, so I had to just tie a triple not through the saddle, hope it holds. Also got a bit of slack out of the saddle on the C string and got 2 loops around the tuner. Didn't get to play much since it was late when I finished and didn't want to wake up my wife.

Top Bottom