full moon taimane gardner encounter

rar jungle

Reaction score
Hi, it's been a while since I've posted here,

I drive a cab in Kona, for the Four Seasons hotel. Thursday evening, after waiting for 5 hours in the hotel parking lot with no rides, I got a call to pull up to the lobby and give someone a ride into town. I pulled up and two pretty ladies got into my cab carrying an ukulele and guitar. I said: " Oh you got an ukulele, I got one too!" And so we started chatting about ukuleles, and the girls asked me how long I had been playing and stuff. Then I asked them the same thing, expecting they were just tourists and amateurs. It turns out I was driving Taimane Gardner and Jazzy Jazz. I hadn't recognized Taimane at first because the lobby area was so dark, but now I was a little in awe, as Taimane is one of the best ukulele players in the world.

As we drove and talked on this full moon night, with lightning flashing in the distance, I kept thinking about something I had with me in the car, something that as far I know is the first of it's kind. For the last six months I've been working on a new kind of ukulele. I've created what I suppose is best called a "powered" ukulele. It's a tenor ukulele with a pickup, and built-in amp and speaker. It's battery powered with the amp and speaker located just inside the sound hole. It goes quite loud, and can sound either pure and clean, or nasty and distorted. So happening to have a prototype of this ukulele in the cab with me, I finally got up the nerve to ask them if they wanted to try it out. Keep in mind that I am pretty much the only person who has ever really played this thing, and now the first person to test drive it is Taimane Gardner. So I was pretty nervous, but it turned out they were really happy to try it out. They jammed on it and sang for the next 20 minutes as we drove. Yes they both seemed to love it, and had fun playing it. Jazz said it was the funnest cab ride ever. It was definitely my favorite ride I've given, and Taimane and Jazz are the sweetest people, in addition to being amazing musicians.
P.S. If anyone's interested, these ukuleles will hopefully be available for sale in three or four weeks.

Last edited:
I love a "Brush With Greatness" story. How wonderful for you. Thanks for sharing this.

I used to play with a guy who had done a similar thing: uke and amp inside the body. It's a great thing to behold. His is pretty crunchy. Developing a clean one I think could be a popular thing.

WOW!!! Great story!!! Gives me '"Chicken Skin!!!"

Seems like you've got something pretty good going on with your "Powered Ukes":nana: Good for you, Brah!!!

Mahalo for sharing!

Aloha,

Kimo

I'm with Kimo. That's a close encounter of the pretty kind...two lovely ladies. Taimane fan here.

You now have to call your new uke the Taimane model.

You lucky bugga..ha ha TG model ukes.. now that is a name.. great story and a mini concert in da cab..wow

You lucky guy, the only famous person I've given a ride to is Kenny Loggins. Sounds like you has much more fun.

I really enjoyed and appreciated your story...definitely a chicken skin moment. What a "gift". Thanks again.
Alan

Great story! You caught her before she becomes so famous that she rides in limos instead of cabs. maybe you can get her to endorse your ukes when you start selling them....

Great story! You caught her before she becomes so famous that she rides in limos instead of cabs. maybe you can get her to endorse your ukes when you start selling them....

yeah, that's not a bad idea. i really wanted to ask her if i could videotape her playing my ukulele, but i didn't have a proper camera, and the ukulele is not that cool looking yet. it sounds good, but looks kind of bland.

I used to play with a guy who had done a similar thing: uke and amp inside the body. It's a great thing to behold. His is pretty crunchy. Developing a clean one I think could be a popular thing.

Wow! That's amazing somebody else has done a similar thing. Yeah, it was hard to get it to sound good at first. The first tries were very crunchy. And some moments of parts flying across the room, etc. ...not because I threw them on purpose.

Now that I think about, I am curious as to exactly what you mean by "crunchy"? I had a lot of trouble to stop audio feedback. That was the main problem, and even the guys at the music store didn't think it would be possible to build this thing without having it feedback like crazy. But now after trial and error I've got it to the point where it only has feedback at the highest volume setting, and even then it is minimal. So I am guessing feedback was your friends main problem? If you got his email or anything, it would be really nice to correspond with him, if possible. Thanks!

yeah, that's not a bad idea. i really wanted to ask her if i could videotape her playing my ukulele, but i didn't have a proper camera, and the ukulele is not that cool looking yet. it sounds good, but looks kind of bland.
Too bad you didn't have your cell phone camera...yeah UU member Keef would have died to be there..

Playing an 8-string w/ 5 strings?

I know musicians don't make a lot of money - do you think I should send the poor girl her other 3 strings?

Top Bottom