Who suppliers your tuners?

RyRod

Reaction score
Who supplies your tuners?

Who suppliers your tuners? so much for proof reading. Should say supplies...

I tried to search but I didn't find anything.

In my other thread regarding taking my uke back to Dave Talsma I mentioned that I wanted him to do something with the tuners.He agreed to make something work but now he needs tuners for the new and improved slot head.

Where do you guys get your tuners from? He's not that experienced with the slot heads and has a hard time finding some tuners that will work.I'm talking like the Waverly or whatever.

Do you guys get the guitar set and then take out 4?

Thanks guys.

*edit* I know about LMII and StewMac.

Last edited:
For geared tuners, AllParts, and yes, get two sets and do three ukes. Tons of choices. We like the Gotoh open backed.

I use the slot head Grovers as my most common slot head tuner. Get 2 guitar sets and make up 3 uke sets. You will most likely need to cut the shaft on the two lower tuners a bit shorter to accommodate the narrower headstock on a ukulele, otherwise they will bump into each other.

There are PEGHEDS which will function in a slotted headstock. Some have a 5mm cap; some have an 8mm cap while others will need to be cut off at your preferred length. www.PEGHEDS.net

If you are talking about drilling a new hole in a slot head for the tuner shaft then I use a twist drill with my battery powered hand drill and my slot head jig from Luthier Tools.

If resizing an existing one then that is a whole new kettle of fish. It's a real tricky operation to resize 2 holes with a slot in the middle. Wood is going to want to splinter out on the slot side of the outside hole and pull out on the next. Actually it will want to do this even if you are making a new slot head. Always drill the holes for the shafts BEFORE you cut the slots. A twist drill sharpened to scrape would be my choice in this instance.

If you are talking about drilling a new hole in a slot head for the tuner shaft then I use a twist drill with my battery powered hand drill and my slot head jig from Luthier Tools.

That's a cool fixture Allen. Did you get a custom one for your 4 string slotted head stocks?

Thanks for the input everyone. Once again...this was research Dave wanted me to do. I'm not doing anything myself except paying the man. I really don't want to buy a set of 6 tuners just to get the four. Maybe Dave will work something out with me and he'll take the other 8 if I order 2 sets.

Costs an arm and a leg tho... my system was put together with some pieces of scrap ply!

Hey Pete, do you sell those tuners you make? I saw them in that other thread.

That's a cool fixture Allen. Did you get a custom one for your 4 string slotted head stocks?

Yes Chuck. I asked Chris to make one up for me. We went back and forth a bit on the design. He got it pretty close the first time around, but I had to send everything back to him for some modifications. Second time around it was great. Then I saw he was offering them up for sale. I've got the complete set for guitars and classicals as well.

His tools are really well made and a pleasure to use. Yes they are pricey, but all good tools are. And they certainly aren't the most expensive tool or jig that I own.

Top Bottom