arch top ukulele

artoode2

Reaction score
Besides the Kala arch top tenor which I played at the store today and loved, is there any other company making an arch top ukulele? I am not seeing much when I search but I may not be looking in the right place.

MGM just posted a video of a Koolau arch top, but I think it was the companies first. Bradford Donaldson makes them, he is a UU member, builds under Donaldson ukuleles. I have also seen Raven ukuleles, built on Maui, google archtop ukulele to find his site.

The Ravens run 2500 and up, probably similar for the koolau. Donaldson are considerably less. Pretty sure all these a hand carved. Not sure about the kala, but they do have an affordable option.

If you are looking for an large brand kala is it as far as I know. All the others are basically custom built.

If you like the Kala Archtop, you may want to get one sooner than later...
...I hardly see them for sale any more. (discontinued?)

The kalas just have a molded top - not carved. Brad Donaldson is a great option - he is a VERY affordable custom builder and was even teaching others to build their own archtops. His UU username is Bradford - I have a custom super soprano that I love to death (not an archtop) and I am his number one fan (okay, I self-declared that...but his stuff is terrific).

That Ko'olau is sweet! Thanks for a the info from everyone. I will look into the builders.

That KoOlau (first and only so far!) is a prototype model that Ukulele PUAPUA has. For any collectors out there or anybody really, you should check out the site later today- cause this model will be up! I have a feeling that it wont last long considering the buzz it has gotten.

That KoOlau (first and only so far!) is a prototype model that Ukulele PUAPUA has. For any collectors out there or anybody really, you should check out the site later today- cause this model will be up! I have a feeling that it wont last long considering the buzz it has gotten.

if it has a buzz, then who would buy it.. now if they Fixed the buzz... then ok.

:)

I know Mike Da Silva has been building prototype archtops. I wrote him last week wondering if he'd made any progress on perfecting the design. Haven't heard back, but I think he's quite a busy guy, so maybe no news means he's too busy building archtops......... ;)

His website is www.ukemaker.com

Reviving this thread...

Has anyone played a Raven/Kolaka archtop? The only video he supplies is of the Brown Chicken Brown Cow String Band doing "All of Me". It's ok, but you don't get much sense of what the ukuleles sound like (which might be a bad sign).

Are there any videos of one of Brad's archtops?

Also, if anyone has any insights on an Iriguchi archtop, that would be great.

I'm not going to be able to afford another ukulele for a couple years, so I'm trying to REALLY do my homework. :)

Iriguchi Archtops

Here's a little info about Iriguchi archtops

March Hare_01.jpgMarch Hare_02.jpgMarch Hare_03.jpgtailpiece.jpgBabaji_cutout_02.jpg

These are two of our most recent archtops. Ours are unusual in that the back and sides are carved from a single billet of wood, kind of like a bowl, and then the arched top is glued. In the case of the Maple soprano, we first split a board in two, carved both sides and then glued them back together so the grain runs continuously all the way around the body. We are working on some sound clips right now and hope to have them on the site soon. Here is one from the Reno festival 2011.

http://youtu.be/pXV84N3z-ow

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Dave Iriguchi

There are some videos of brads arch tops. He has some on his YouTube and I think there are a few others. Just search for donalson arch top and they should come up.

As for actual companies, there aren't many. Kamoa is going to introduce an electric which will be a true archtop (the hollow body). But there are several luthiers carving archtops. Here's someone in England (Toby Chennell) with IMO surprisingly low prices (I don't know how they sound, just considering the time required for an archtop):

http://www.jazzboxukes.com/

Wow Dave, I love the looks of that reddish one. Very pretty. Would love to hear one!

Wow Dave, I love the looks of that reddish one. Very pretty. Would love to hear one!

Thanks Nickie. That red one is named Babaji. He's a real looker for sure. I just recorded some sound samples and I'm trying to edit the video. Alas I don't know what I'm doing so it is taking longer than expected but I'll try to post some soon. Thanks for your feedback.
DAve

Top Bottom