Slotted headstocks are cool but do you notice a tone difference?

solocoukester

Reaction score
I have a Pono mhtsh love the slothead, just wondered if you thought the tone was different.

I'm probably not at all qualified to answer this question intelligently given my lack of uke skill but I can tell you I own a Kala Solid Acacia Tenor which has a slotted headstock and it sounds simply wonderful. I have played no other tenor to compare so do take my comments with a grain of salt...

Aloha,
I love my Mele Koa Slotted Headstock Tenor with Double Pukas and haven't noticed any difference in sound with the same uke with a standard headstock (compared at the Mele Store On Maui).
However, there is a difference in volume comparing a single hole to the double hole with hardly any change in sound quality...................................BO...............................

Not quite sure why a slotted headstock would change the tone. Maybe ask in the luthier lounge, lots of expertise there.

I don't think there would be any real tonal difference from a slotted headstock if the nut and saddle are otherwise the same. Slotted headstocks are the norm with classical guitars. Personally, I think they look kinda classy. :)

A slotted headstock could be lighter weight than a solid one, so that might make a difference in how the instrument/neck feels when you hold it.

Some people might tell you that the string break angle at the nut from the slotted headstock will give you better tone. Yeaaaaahhhh I highly doubt that. There are dozens and dozens of factors that I would look at before looking at the headstock in terms of tone.

Some people might tell you that the string break angle at the nut from the slotted headstock will give you better tone. Yeaaaaahhhh I highly doubt that. There are dozens and dozens of factors that I would look at before looking at the headstock in terms of tone.

My thoughts exactly.

If it works for Aldrine, Jame, Eddie Vedder, Kalei, etc., I guess that there's not enough tone difference to, ahem, make a difference.

The question, as a Pono owner, do you notice a tone difference?

New to the uke

I noticed as I shopped most of the higher end customs had the slot head .I think they have a different feel if anything.

It's just an exclusivity thing. The cheap and nasties have paddle heads, therefore, if you're going to spend all that money on a custom build, why not make it stand out from the crowd. Something to set it apart from the hoards of plywood junk.

It is from the school of thought from the guitars...not sure if they make that much of a difference on the ukulele though...hey you see all the big uke companies giving them to the
great known players for their exposure...I guess it's a way to advertise them, great marketing plan..ha ha and they can charge alot more for their ukes..all that hype, we seen that
on the forums boards already, you guys know what I'm talking about..ha ha

Might help the balance a little. I have a kanilea tenor w an ebony fretboard and faceplate, and I notice the balance being a little more head heavy. I have a bass that has a real "neck dive" problem, needs a thicker strap to keep it from slipping.

I'm a huge fan of slotted headstocks, and have 3 custom ukes with slotted headstocks. However, it is 100% about cosmetics for me. The only reason I get them is because I think they look cool.

No difference in sound, but there is a difference in the ease of access to your tuners. With a slot head you don't have to reach from the top and the bottom so it's a more comfortable angle for your wrist and it's a bit faster when you need to do a little adjustment while playing.

Well, that tears it. I'm getting a slotted headstock on my next uke!

I asked Gordon Mayer about this last year. He said that some people believe that the slightly increased angle at which the strings bend at the nut with slotted headstocks makes the sound a little crisper, but he himself didn't think it made a noticable difference. For what it's worth, while Mya-Moe offers a slotted headstock, the standard headstock is not slotted.

I asked Gordon Mayer about this last year. He said that some people believe that the slightly increased angle at which the strings bend at the nut with slotted headstocks makes the sound a little crisper, but he himself didn't think it made a noticable difference. For what it's worth, while Mya-Moe offers a slotted headstock, the standard headstock is not slotted.

Even if it did make a very very slight difference it would only have an effect while playing open strings so there wouldn't be that much of a point to it.

Top Bottom