PDA

View Full Version : My RISA semi-hollowbody tenor self-destructed.

PhilUSAFRet
03-10-2012, 04:28 PM
I've had this Risa for about 5 or 6 years and I have kept it in it's case the whole time when not playing. About 16 months ago, I moved it to my back bedroom while we were doing some remodeling.
There has never been a problem with anything I've stored in that room. When I opened the case today, I was thunderstruck. The strings had literally "disolved" with rust. My twin lipstick pickups are corroded, all the screws on the body, the chrome knobes, the toggle switch, and bridge were also rusted and/or corroded. Even some of the frets are corroded. Headstock was ok and I'm not sure about the electronics inside as I haven't removed the pick guard. Even on parts of the upper fretboard near the body, and on the body, there is a layer of rust that resembles "mold" ????? The chrome knobs felt "damp?" The case is dry and there is a layer of rust dust all over it. No other metal objects in that room are rusted.
Any ideas why this happened? Fortunately I have a local luthier who will probably be able to fix it somewhat reasonably.

Paul December
03-10-2012, 04:35 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with the case or its padding.
There have been high-profile lawsuits against builders that used drywall manufactured in China (http://www.chinesedrywall.com/). I believe it put-off sulfur, and people were complaining that it was corroding electronics and wiring in their homes.

PhilUSAFRet
03-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Not sure..it was in that case several years before I moved it to that room. Other guitars in cases in that room and a few guns = no problem???? I probably have to get a loaded pickguard to replace all the damage, plus a new bridge. Crap, that'll take the edge off the "bargain" I got when I bought it new. Let's hope Risa is "generous."

Gwynedd
03-11-2012, 02:11 PM
I also suspect the case. Especially if the case is a dense foam with a cloth covering.

The way foam is made--a sort of solvent is mixed with a resin and this foams up and sets in a mold. The solvent has to be mixed in certain proportions and then release from the mold. I think that some manufacturers use an excess of solvent to assure release from the mold and full expansion of the foam. (For example if you buy a cheap memory foam bed, you will smell a LOT of solvent and it literally takes years to outgas. I also saw this with a foam exercise bench. Loaded with solvent.)

Sniff the case, if you smell solvent, that could be it. If you smell mold, the case might have been wet--soaked? A leak? Unlikely. Where did you get the case? Risa?

PhilUSAFRet
03-12-2012, 02:32 AM
Case is a Risa that came with the instrument. No real odor, no mold that I can see. No evidence of a leak. It was in that case for a few years before I moved it.
My litte Dean practice guitar in a case, same room, no problem. May be a mystery, but I'm nervous about re-using that case, not sure I can get the "rust powder" out of it. Wonder of a douse of CLR and a good drying would kill all of it?

Edit: It's a new day, and I think I figured out the most plausible explanation. Last time my son and I fooled around with it......Flash! - It has a strap!......the strap picked up some moisture from one or both of us and almost all of the damage was below where the strap was laying inside the case. I try to not zip up my cases 100% but this time I did. Makes most sense to me at this juncture. Expensive oversight. Now I know why so many musicians do not store their stringed instruments with the strap on! Hard way to learn why not to!

Gwynedd
03-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Wow, but yes, a tight case could have trapped all that moisure and one does sweat into a strap. Sad.

stevepetergal
03-17-2012, 04:41 PM
My guess is that you have a humidifier in the case and that it was too damp inside. That can be a problem if you never open the case for long periods of time.

PhilUSAFRet
03-18-2012, 01:13 PM
My guess is that you have a humidifier in the case and that it was too damp inside. That can be a problem if you never open the case for long periods of time.

No humidifier, a decently thick padded soft gig bag made for Risa to accompany the instrument.

kissing
03-18-2012, 02:24 PM
No no no, you have it wrong.

I think what happened is that the case is actually a naturally-occuring time machine.

Your Risa had travelled forward in time. Thats how it seems to me xD

GinnyT11
03-18-2012, 02:49 PM
No no no, you have it wrong.

I think what happened is that the case is actually a naturally-occuring time machine.
Your Risa had travelled forward in time. Thats how it seems to me xD

Oh no! Step away from it, Phil, or you'll go forward in time too and get all corroded. Don't touch the case again, just to be safe.

PhilUSAFRet
03-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Oh nooooooo! I may have already handled it too much. I'm pretty corroded right now! I think in people, they call it arthritis. :(

On the plus side, sounds like Rigk is going to be able to suppy me with a loaded pickguard at a more or less reasonable price.