Concert uke for $80

Arizonared

Reaction score
So I am a VERY new beginner and I am currently playing on a cheap soprano ukulele. I think I would like to move up in size to a concert. What would the recommendations be with a budget of $80. With the extra stipulation that I need to buy it through Amazon (giftcard).

I don't know enough about ukulele brands to give you a preference as to what I should get, but the only stipulation I do have is that I would like it to be bigger than a soprano.

Thanks for your help.

Pretty sure the oscar schmidt ou2e is around that price, not 100% as I'm in the UK but fairly sure and I've owned lanikai's too and the ou2e is an amazing uke for the price. It has a pick up too! Active! Can't go wrong!

I have a Gregg Bennett UK50 concert uke, had it a few years now, and they're that sort of price - I've been really pleased with mine, I can't fault it - the intonation is perfect, the tuners don't slip, it sounds nice - new aquila strings recently - they are made in Indonesia for Samich (American design and engineering) and each instrument has a quality control label, signed. They know all about woodcraft in Indonesia! For a beginner it's a great little instrument. I still can't justify "upgrading". It's a peach.

This is the only CONCERT UNDER 80 at Amazon I would recommend and restring it with Aquilas and you will be pretty happy. I got several ukes via Amazon, restrung them and they are fine.

Ah yes the Makala brand is also a good brand around that price range!

I bought a Makala concert a few years back, still works fine.
005-3.jpg

I recently chose a Makala for a young relative who wanted to start the uke, and I was pleasantly surprised. Well-made, properly intonated, and out the door with a tuner and a nylon case for about $80. Not a fine instrument, but great for a starter, and well worth the money.

Makala Concert uke when set up is a great first ukulele to have. I still play mine quite often and it is my travel/beater ukulele.

The Lanikai LU-21C was my first real ukulele. I loved it and learned a lot with it.

I just played it again this weekend--after about a year, and many more ukes since then--and did notice that the action was a little high. I had no idea at the time, so it probably doesn't matter much when starting out.

I still think it's a great ukulele for the price.

Not to add to the confusion, but you can sometimes find the Luna tattoo for about $80, and it compares very favorably (if not better) to the Makala, Lanikai, and Oscars already mentioned.

Plus, it has a groovy look to it that really does catch the eye.

Just my couple of shekels.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will take this into account when I purchase it next month.

Top Bottom