New koaloha Thinline out next week now a special order model. Here's a look

MGM

Reaction score
I just saw the new batch of Thinline Koaloha Tenors coming out next week for release and digger thru my archive of over 150,000 photos and found these of the original no 1 Paul Okami made for me years ago along with the video sound sample..
http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=/&gl=US&rdm=4psit69e2#/watch?v=TvMMDirp88Y
20090424_3471_edited-1.jpg

20090424_3482_edited-1.jpg

These are made in special limited runs...The latest Batch just needs the pickups installed....I remember I had to bug Paul for about a year to him to make these....

How much are they going for?

Oh boy this is going to sound ignorant. I'm wondering why a uke, that is already a travel size instrument in most regards would need to be downsized anymore? I have to admit that the thinbody looks sexy as heck but besides being more compact, what are the advantages? With that being said, I played a thin body Kala at MGMs HMS that projected like a full size uke. I was impressed.

Oh boy this is going to sound ignorant. I'm wondering why a uke, that is already a travel size instrument in most regards would need to be downsized anymore? I have to admit that the thinbody looks sexy as heck but besides being more compact, what are the advantages? With that being said, I played a thin body Kala at MGMs HMS that projected like a full size uke. I was impressed.

You answered your own question.

this bodystyle has been very popular for the Black Labels.
My Kelii is built similarly...

You answered your own question.

Clearly did not read question. Besides this what are the advantages?

I have never understood this myself and I think there have been threads about this. In my opinion losing an inch of body depth does not make it much more compact. I have not ever worried about the depth of my uke while traveling. That said most makers seem to make a good uke in this style and there have not been much if any bad things said about the slim lines body styles. I just don't understand the point.

More power to everyone that gets one, I love my Koaloha and I am sure you will too.

Awe they didn't tell me about those..would have wanted to try one when I was there
Hey Stan, too much flirting with the Collings with eventually alienate even the Okamis...
Next time you need to use your mistery man skills to enter the secret quarters of Pops and Paul.

I have never understood this myself and I think there have been threads about this. In my opinion losing an inch of body depth does not make it much more compact. I have not ever worried about the depth of my uke while traveling. That said most makers seem to make a good uke in this style and there have not been much if any bad things said about the slim lines body styles. I just don't understand the point.

More power to everyone that gets one, I love my Koaloha and I am sure you will too.
Hi DN, they are less feedback-prone amplified and just easier to handle with a strap onstage.

Hi DN, they are less feedback-prone amplified and just easier to handle with a strap onstage.

Thanks. I think this is the first time I have seen this mentioned. Not my thing as I would not take advantage of either of these advantages at this point but nice to know.

I did read the question, and the answer is they are more compact and they take up Less Room in your luggage/trunk/over head bin. That is it. No other advantage really. that is why Kala calls 'em Travel ukes...

Thinline ukulele style body's have in my opinion a more aggressive attack and sound. The kala travels are among the loudest ukes made for projection and attack. The kala travel tenor is my favorite run around ukulele....that's why we made the first Thinline Hawaiian ukes in the first place. Another advantage of thinlines are the ability to hold it easier for some people....especially for well endowed females if you permit me to say so....ever had to hold you!re elbow and forearm out the three inches of a tenor. And then add your physical attributes....

Thinline ukulele style body's have in my opinion a more aggressive attack and sound.

Funny you say that - hasn't been my experience with the infamous MGM Thinlines. If I recall correctly, they seemed unusually resonant with good projection and tone that belies their size. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself (still don't, actually).

Aaron

Thanks Mike, this is certainly worth consideration. Sometimes I feel my right arm going a little numbish after an hour...

Top Bottom