PDA

View Full Version : New koaloha Thinline out next week now a special order model. Here's a look

MGM
03-10-2012, 07:47 PM
I just saw the new batch of Thinline Koaloha Tenors coming out next week for release and digger thru my archive of over 150,000 photos and found these of the original no 1 Paul Okami made for me years ago along with the video sound sample..
http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4psit69e2#/watch?v=TvMMDirp88Y
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/musicguymic/20090424_3471_edited-1.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/musicguymic/20090424_3482_edited-1.jpg

These are made in special limited runs...The latest Batch just needs the pickups installed....I remember I had to bug Paul for about a year to him to make these....

VinnyQH
03-10-2012, 08:01 PM
How much are they going for?

mm stan
03-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Awe they didn't tell me about those..would have wanted to try one when I was there

guitharsis
03-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Wow. Good idea and a great looking uke.

chloechords
03-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Awesome, I like!!!

imabuddha
03-11-2012, 04:01 AM
That's beautiful! I wish they still used the crown bridge & dark wood for the fretboard.

kapahulu50
03-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Hi mike Any idea how big of a run theyre doing?

03-12-2012, 04:30 AM
i have one of the first 3. that might be mine. lol #realtalk

Kauai808
03-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Oh boy this is going to sound ignorant. I'm wondering why a uke, that is already a travel size instrument in most regards would need to be downsized anymore? I have to admit that the thinbody looks sexy as heck but besides being more compact, what are the advantages? With that being said, I played a thin body Kala at MGMs HMS that projected like a full size uke. I was impressed.

JT_Ukes
03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Oh boy this is going to sound ignorant. I'm wondering why a uke, that is already a travel size instrument in most regards would need to be downsized anymore? I have to admit that the thinbody looks sexy as heck but besides being more compact, what are the advantages? With that being said, I played a thin body Kala at MGMs HMS that projected like a full size uke. I was impressed.

You answered your own question.

chrimess
03-14-2012, 11:41 AM
this bodystyle has been very popular for the Black Labels.
My Kelii is built similarly...

dnewton2
03-14-2012, 02:07 PM
You answered your own question.

Clearly did not read question. Besides this what are the advantages?

I have never understood this myself and I think there have been threads about this. In my opinion losing an inch of body depth does not make it much more compact. I have not ever worried about the depth of my uke while traveling. That said most makers seem to make a good uke in this style and there have not been much if any bad things said about the slim lines body styles. I just don't understand the point.

More power to everyone that gets one, I love my Koaloha and I am sure you will too.

chrimess
03-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Awe they didn't tell me about those..would have wanted to try one when I was there
Hey Stan, too much flirting with the Collings with eventually alienate even the Okamis...
Next time you need to use your mistery man skills to enter the secret quarters of Pops and Paul.

chrimess
03-14-2012, 02:37 PM

I have never understood this myself and I think there have been threads about this. In my opinion losing an inch of body depth does not make it much more compact. I have not ever worried about the depth of my uke while traveling. That said most makers seem to make a good uke in this style and there have not been much if any bad things said about the slim lines body styles. I just don't understand the point.

More power to everyone that gets one, I love my Koaloha and I am sure you will too.
Hi DN, they are less feedback-prone amplified and just easier to handle with a strap onstage.

dnewton2
03-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Hi DN, they are less feedback-prone amplified and just easier to handle with a strap onstage.

Thanks. I think this is the first time I have seen this mentioned. Not my thing as I would not take advantage of either of these advantages at this point but nice to know.

JT_Ukes
03-14-2012, 04:02 PM

I did read the question, and the answer is they are more compact and they take up Less Room in your luggage/trunk/over head bin. That is it. No other advantage really. that is why Kala calls 'em Travel ukes...

MGM
03-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Thinline ukulele style body's have in my opinion a more aggressive attack and sound. The kala travels are among the loudest ukes made for projection and attack. The kala travel tenor is my favorite run around ukulele....that's why we made the first Thinline Hawaiian ukes in the first place. Another advantage of thinlines are the ability to hold it easier for some people....especially for well endowed females if you permit me to say so....ever had to hold you!re elbow and forearm out the three inches of a tenor. And then add your physical attributes....

Ronnie Aloha
03-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Daniel Ho uses it for performing. He says it balances the mid tones when hooked up.

Kekani
03-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Thinline ukulele style body's have in my opinion a more aggressive attack and sound.

Funny you say that - hasn't been my experience with the infamous MGM Thinlines. If I recall correctly, they seemed unusually resonant with good projection and tone that belies their size. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself (still don't, actually).

Aaron

Nickie
03-15-2012, 02:24 AM
Thanks Mike, this is certainly worth consideration. Sometimes I feel my right arm going a little numbish after an hour...

uke4life
04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
That's hot...Have they hit the market yet?

soupking
04-03-2012, 01:06 PM

I got one a couple weeks ago from MGM. Couldn't be happier with it. These are the photos he sent me that pretty much sold me on it. It's not super curly or anything but it's some of the nicest koa I've seen from KoAloha, at least from the production models, imo. Mike said he had several at the time I purchased it, so I'd suggest emailing him if anyone's interested.

imabuddha
04-03-2012, 01:51 PM
These are the photos he sent me that pretty much sold me on it. It's not super curly or anything but it's some of the nicest koa I've seen from KoAloha, at least from the production models, imo.

Wow, beautiful wood!

Tigeralum2001
04-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Daniel Ho was paying one at the workshop I attended last weekend. He said they are designed to be played amplified as they have less feedback than a "normal" depth uke. It sounded great, like all KoAlohas.

Olarte
04-03-2012, 07:10 PM
So what's the asking price for these?

erivel
04-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Music Works had one on display at the NorCal Uke fest. It was pretty nice!

keliiyama
04-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Mike you just bring all the goodies:) What would we do without you brada. I wonder how they brace it?