Does anyone make a 5-string uke (soprano or concert size)?

morryll

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a uke with five equally spaced strings. The idea is to tune it in fifths, CGDAE-- like a combination mandolin/mandola, or violin/viola, or a five-stringed violin. It would probably need to be soprano (13" scale) although concert (15" scale) might also be usable.

I've googled around and found, to my surprise, NOTHING. (There are a few 5-stiing ukes but they involve doubling one of the strings).

Anyone got an idea? If the uke I'm looking for doesn't exist, maybe I could get a six-string uke (with 2 doubled strings) and modify the nut and bridge to accomodate 5 equally spaced strings?

I haven't seen a production model other than Ohana and haven't heard much more as far as availability. Maybe Ken can fill us in. The only other one is Kanilea . . . check their site, I believe they have an option for a 5 string and the additional cost is $75.

Sorry, I have never heard of a uke with 5 equally spaced strings. Why not get a small guitar or 6 stringed uke? If you do get the uke, make sure it is one with equally spaced strings. Most 6 strings have 4 courses, like the Ohana.

John King used to play one back in the day. I think you'll have to get a custom..

Thanks to all for the useful tips. Weighing my options. Think I'll end up buying a "normal" 5 or 6 string and getting the nut/bridge modified... cheaper anyway than a fully customized uke...

I've often considered this, as I also play the 5-string banjo. It could be tuned cGCEG, with a low-G string.

Top Bottom